Sources for Patristics, Catholic Doctrine, Orthodox Doctrine

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Sources for Patristics, Catholic Doctrine, Orthodox Doctrine

Post by Bootstrap »

Here are my favorite reference works for Patristics, Catholic doctrine, and Orthodox doctrine.

Patristics - Quasten has a comprehensive index that is extremely helpful for seeing the diversity of views on any topic. It also makes it easy to see how they differed over time or across geographical locations. Here's the Amazon version, but you can get it a lot cheaper used from various sources. Seminary students often sell this after finishing their classes ;->
To understand what the Catholic Church teaches, I think reading the Catechism and Canon Law is the best starting point. The Vatican website is very good, with cross reference links.
To understand what the Orthodox Church teaches, I recommend these sources:
Are there better sources than these for people who want authoritative reference works?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Sources for Patristics, Catholic Doctrine, Orthodox Doctrine

Post by MaxPC »

To understand what the Catholic Church teaches, I think reading the Catechism and Canon Law is the best starting point. The Vatican website is very good, with cross reference links.
Glad that my resource list helped.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:41 am

I didn't copy from your resource list, I have been using these links for at least a decade - often in exchanges with you. But if you have a list you want to share, please do feel free to copy it here. I think I may have seen it, but I don't know where it is.

I do think those two are the most authoritative and simplest to use if you just want to know what the official teaching is.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I usually use resources from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, since the material they put up is quite accessible. Generally speaking, my understanding is that what the USCCB says is authoritative.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:26 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:41 am

I didn't copy from your resource list, I have been using these links for at least a decade - often in exchanges with you. But if you have a list you want to share, please do feel free to copy it here. I think I may have seen it, but I don't know where it is.

I do think those two are the most authoritative and simplest to use if you just want to know what the official teaching is.
Interesting. Over on MD you claimed you had not heard of them when I posted these resources in response to your use of blogs. Nevertheless I am glad the resources I provided are of use. If the Catholic language is difficult, the Diocese of Raleigh in which you reside has people who can explain it to you. They also have accredited Canon lawyers on staff - Canon Law occasionally uses some archaic terms with its own context based in another era. Excellent folk in Raleigh, NC; quite helpful.
Last edited by MaxPC on Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 am Interesting. Over on MD you claimed you had not heard of them when I posted these resources in response to your use of blogs. Nevertheless I am glad the resources I provided are of use.
Why do you make up lies like that? You really should stop. I have known about the Catechism and Canon Law for most of my adult life. And I have been quoting both to refute claims you have made ever since MD days. You know or should know that. I have the archives, FWIW. I'm not the guy who turns to non-authoritative sources to say what Catholic doctrine is.

Beyond that, why not simply participate in the thread instead of picking fights? Or not participate, your choice. I'm happy to have you participate in this thread, but please, not like this. It changes the subject from the topic to some petty fight.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:34 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 am Interesting. Over on MD you claimed you had not heard of them when I posted these resources in response to your use of blogs. Nevertheless I am glad the resources I provided are of use.
Why do you make up lies like that? You really should stop. I have known about the Catechism and Canon Law for most of my adult life. And I have been quoting both to refute claims you have made ever since MD days. You know or should know that. I have the archives, FWIW.

Beyond that, why not simply participate in the thread instead of picking fights? Or not participate, your choice. I'm happy to have you participate in this thread, but please, not like this. It changes the subject from the topic to some petty fight.
I am stating facts and reciprocating that I am glad my resources are helpful. If you are upset by such a minor issue I cannot help you. Only you have responsibility for how you choose to react. In the meantime, the Diocese of Raleigh NC also has classes in RCIA in which the CCC is covered. They too, are useful.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:28 am I usually use resources from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, since the material they put up is quite accessible. Generally speaking, my understanding is that what the USCCB says is authoritative.
USCCB is helpful - but not everything on the site is considered authoritative.

I find the Catechism extremely accessible. Canon Law is not that hard to understand on any given topic, if you take the time, and there are commentaries on canon law that are helpful. I know that these two are always authoritative.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 am Interesting. Over on MD you claimed you had not heard of them when I posted these resources in response to your use of blogs.
I started reading MD in 2013 or early 2014 and don’t recall Bootstrap saying this. To the contrary, I do recall him citing these resources.
Nevertheless I am glad the resources I provided are of use. If the Catholic language is difficult, the Diocese of Raleigh in which you reside has people who can explain it to you. They also have accredited Canon lawyers on staff - Canon Law occasionally uses some archaic terms with its own context based in another era. Excellent folk in Raleigh, NC; quite helpful.
Max, I think your tone towards Boot is demeaning and disrespectful. In fact, Boot is well qualified particularly in the area of New Testament language and study. As I’m sure you know, he and I disagree on a great many things but I have a lot of respect for his experience and expertise on this area. He is a public figure whose reputation speaks for itself.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:02 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 am Interesting. Over on MD you claimed you had not heard of them when I posted these resources in response to your use of blogs.
I started reading MD in 2013 or early 2014 and don’t recall Bootstrap saying this. To the contrary, I do recall him citing these resources.
Nevertheless I am glad the resources I provided are of use. If the Catholic language is difficult, the Diocese of Raleigh in which you reside has people who can explain it to you. They also have accredited Canon lawyers on staff - Canon Law occasionally uses some archaic terms with its own context based in another era. Excellent folk in Raleigh, NC; quite helpful.
Max, I think your tone towards Boot is demeaning and disrespectful. In fact, Boot is well qualified particularly in the area of New Testament language and study. As I’m sure you know, he and I disagree on a great many things but I have a lot of respect for his experience and expertise on this area. He is a public figure whose reputation speaks for itself.
Being helpful is not disrespectful. Expressing contentment that the resources are helpful as well as and offering more is not disrespectful by any stretch. Nevertheless your reactions are your own and only you have responsibility for them.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)