Sources for Patristics, Catholic Doctrine, Orthodox Doctrine

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Sources for Patristics, Catholic Doctrine, Orthodox Doctrine

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:59 am
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:28 am I usually use resources from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, since the material they put up is quite accessible. Generally speaking, my understanding is that what the USCCB says is authoritative.
USCCB is helpful - but not everything on the site is considered authoritative.

I find the Catechism extremely accessible. Canon Law is not that hard to understand on any given topic, if you take the time, and there are commentaries on canon law that are helpful. I know that these two are always authoritative.
Why would it not be considered authoritative, at least in their jurisdiction? That has me a bit confused, bit I will admit I am no expert.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:07 am
Why would it not be considered authoritative, at least in their jurisdiction? That has me a bit confused, bit I will admit I am no expert.
The diocesan websites are occasionally out of date with some of their docs. Not every diocese has the finances for a full-time archivist.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:10 am
The diocesan websites are occasionally out of date with some of their docs. Not every diocese has the finances for a full-time archivist.
But one would presume that the USCCB does?
0 x
:hug:
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:02 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 am Interesting. Over on MD you claimed you had not heard of them when I posted these resources in response to your use of blogs.
I started reading MD in 2013 or early 2014 and don’t recall Bootstrap saying this. To the contrary, I do recall him citing these resources.
Nevertheless I am glad the resources I provided are of use. If the Catholic language is difficult, the Diocese of Raleigh in which you reside has people who can explain it to you. They also have accredited Canon lawyers on staff - Canon Law occasionally uses some archaic terms with its own context based in another era. Excellent folk in Raleigh, NC; quite helpful.
Max, I think your tone towards Boot is demeaning and disrespectful. In fact, Boot is well qualified particularly in the area of New Testament language and study. As I’m sure you know, he and I disagree on a great many things but I have a lot of respect for his experience and expertise on this area. He is a public figure whose reputation speaks for itself.
Blessed are the peacemakers.
I don't expect calling Max a liar is kind. They both have recollections of MD, if either is mistaken in memory, why automatically call one a "liar" instead of considering mistaken memory. Both men are extremely sharp and obviously Max service is well respected in his position in the Catholic Church.

The Word advises is to be slow to speak and slow to anger- let's apply this when moving forward? Max has endured more accusations & attacks in all these years than anyone and yet has extended much prayer and grace to/for others.

Agape, brethren
2 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:07 am Why would it not be considered authoritative, at least in their jurisdiction? That has me a bit confused, bit I will admit I am no expert.
Here's what I understand - I had ChatGPT generate this, but it matches what I believe to be true:

Canon Law:
  • Canon law is the internal ecclesiastical law governing the Catholic Church. It regulates the organization, governance, and discipline of the Church, as well as the rights and duties of its members.
  • Canon law is promulgated by the competent authority within the Church, typically the Pope or ecumenical councils, and is binding on all members of the Catholic Church worldwide.
  • Canon law covers a wide range of topics, including sacraments, clergy, laity, marriage, governance structures, and disciplinary procedures.
  • Violations of canon law can result in various penalties, ranging from canonical warnings to excommunication, depending on the severity of the offense.
Content on the USCCB Website:
  • The content on the USCCB website includes resources, statements, pastoral letters, educational materials, and other information provided by the bishops of the United States.
  • While the USCCB website serves as a valuable resource for Catholic teaching, pastoral guidance, and information on social issues, its content does not carry the same level of authority as canon law.
  • Statements and documents issued by the USCCB reflect the collective voice and pastoral concerns of the bishops of the United States but may vary in authority depending on the nature of the document and the level of endorsement by the bishops.
  • Content on the USCCB website may offer interpretations of Catholic teaching, pastoral recommendations, or guidance on specific issues but does not have the same legal status or binding force as canon law.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 am
The total Catholic Church budget in America was estimated around $170bn* in 2010, and 6% spent on dioceses, so that would leave $10bn for spending on diocese.

Presumably, some fraction of that could be spent on posting official doctrines on a website.

The Catholic Church’s finances aren’t public (unlike my church’s); this is estimated based on bankruptcy filings of dioceses back during the abuse scandals. My own church publishes its doctrines in a book available for about $10.

* or 170 thousand million dollars
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 am If the Catholic language is difficult, the Diocese of Raleigh in which you reside has people who can explain it to you. They also have accredited Canon lawyers on staff - Canon Law occasionally uses some archaic terms with its own context based in another era. Excellent folk in Raleigh, NC; quite helpful.
I agree that canon lawyers can be helpful. I have corresponded with a canon lawyer by email in the past - generally, by writing what I think I have understood, then asking what I got right and wrong. If you really need to be sure, that's very helpful.

I don't know the people in Raleigh, though.

And a lot of Canon Law isn't at all hard to read.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:21 am The total Catholic Church budget in America was estimated around $170bn* in 2010, and 6% spent on dioceses, so that would leave $10bn for spending on diocese.

Presumably, some fraction of that could be spent on posting official doctrines on a website.
I think the USCCB is generally reliable when it summarizes official authoritative sources - much as a good commentary is reliable when it discusses the Bible. But the Bible is still the authority, not the commentary. And for Canon Law and the Catechism, the explanations on the USCCB site have the same authority as as commentary would with respect to the Bible. Not the original source.

But the USCCB also creates documents that are, in fact, the primary authority within their jurisdiction.

I am not aware of any specific errors on the USCCB site. I'm mostly just saying that for the things found in Canon Law or the Catechism, it is not a primary source. And good secondary sources are useful.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 am
It would be lovely to be able to presume that but unfortunately the reality is a bit different. At the USCCB level, the jobs are part-time in addition to the regular jobs held elsewhere. It is one of those conundrums of the internet that its potential is sometimes stunted by lack of time or personnel to make immediate changes. Then there are the hacksters: the Vatican website was hacked last year and quite a bit of information had to be inputted again. Interestingly, one of my colleagues said that it is rumoured that it was an attempt to sell anti-hacking services to the Vatican. Rumours being what they are, I would take that with the proverbial grain.

It may be old-fashioned but I always keep the latest revisions of reference books such as the Code of Canon Law and the Catechism of the Catholic Church on my shelves for when (not if but when) the internet has a breakdown rather like the recent AT&T outage in the past month or so.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In my local diocese most jobs are full time, and I’m in one of the poorer dioceses. In any case, a $10bn organisation has the funds to run a reasonable website.
0 x