Books on Anabaptist History and Theology

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Books on Anabaptist History and Theology

Post by Heirbyadoption »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:41 am
Neto wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:35 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pmThe theory that Anabaptism had many origins, and is in fact ancient, tracing perhaps to the apostles. Books like Brodbent's "The Pilgrim Church" and Kennedy's "Torch of the Testimony" give this theory. It is more recent.

The other predominant theory is that Anabaptism if of Zurich Origin. While these ideas were out there, it never came together until Zurich. Bender's "Anabaptist Vision" is a work that supports this theory. I am inclined to believe Monoorigin.
I'm not totally sure I understand, so let me put it in my own words: He was saying that 'anabaptism' was a 'coming together' of various older ways of thinking, and you feel that it rather arose like a totally new thing, like a new species of belief. I am probably over stating this, but want to first of all understand the general direction of these two viewpoints. (Incidentally, it was the opinion of some Dutch Mennonites in the mid 1800's that Dutch anabaptism was largely unrelated or unaffected by Swiss anabaptism, that the men who came to plead with Menno to take leadership were actually Waldensian. So if I am understanding your viewpoint, you would reject this idea. I'm not sure about it myself, so will be interested to hear if I'm understanding correctly.)
The terms Monogenesis and Polygenesis are more commonly used, apparently having their genesis in this article (which I have not read; is there an online source?):
Stayer, James M., Werner O. Packull, and Klaus Deppermann. "From Monogenesis to Polygenesis: The Historical Discussion of Anabaptist Origins." Mennonite Quarterly Review 49 (1975): 83-121.

As I understand it, the theory of polygenesis is that Anabaptism originated independently and nearly simultaneously in multiple places, including but not limited to Zürich, Nürnberg, and Amsterdam.
Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:38 pmI vaguely recall some sort of group called Dutch Brethren that existed before Anabaptism did in the Netherlands.
You're probably thinking of the Brethren of the Common Life.
There were also the Collegiants, though they didn't really come about until the 1620s...
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pm Books on Anabaptist History and Theology

What are your favorites?
I think you need to visit Clay Book Store.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 am
Ernie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pmBooks on Anabaptist History and Theology
What are your favorites?
With a full wallet... :P
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:40 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 am
Ernie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pmBooks on Anabaptist History and Theology
What are your favorites?
With a full wallet... :P
That too. I haven't been in there in years. I used to get topo maps from them. Depending on who was at the counter they could be a little difficult to deal with...
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!