Jesus was born on April 1?

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Jesus was born on April 1?

Post by Lex »

Jesus was born on Nisan 1, 5 BCE.

Why Nisan 1?
1. Because it is exactly the same day that God's presence filled the Tent of Meeting (Ex 40:2, Ex 40:34). This event was a shadow that foretold the incarnation of God (John 1:14, the greek word "skenoo" literally means "to tent" ). On the same day that God came to earth to be in a tent, on the same day God came to earth to be in a human body. In the New Testament we can clearly see that the old Jewish feasts are fulfilled in Jesus. Some examples: Jesus was sacrificed on the cross on the same day that the Passover lamb was sacrificed, because he is the true Passover lamb, the 14th of Nisan; and Jesus was resurrected on the same day that the first fruits were celebrated, because he is the first to rise from the dead to eternal life, the 16th of Nisan. So it makes sense that Jesus was born on a special Jewish day.

2. Since Jesus is the true Passover lamb (John 1:29), it makes sense that Jesus was born in the month of Nisan, a spring month, because according to the law the Passover lamb must be 1 year old (Ex 12:5). 1 year before the Passover is the month of Nisan.

3. Nisan 1 is the beginning of the new year (Exodus 12:2). Jesus was born on the New Year because he is the beginning of the new creation (2 Cor 5:17).

Side note: Most likely the April Fools' Day has its origin in the birthday of Jesus, since Nisan 1 was also called April 1. The enemies of Christ have turned his birthday into a day of mockery.

According to the Jewish calendar, Nisan 1 is on April 9 this year.

Why 5 BCE?
Bible records:
-that Jesus' ministry began when he was baptized at the age of 30 (Luke 3:21-23)
-that Jesus' ministry lasted 3.5 years (Daniel 9:27; 4 Passovers: John 2:13, 5:1, 6:4, 11:55)
-that Jesus was baptized in the 15th year of Tiberius (Luke 3:1)
-that Jesus was born before Herod died (Matt 2:20)

History records:
-that Tiberius 15th year of his reign was 26 AD (his co-princeps began in 12 AD)
-that Herod died 4 BCE

Conclusions:
If the 15th year of Tiberius is 26 AD, then Jesus was 30 years old at that time. If Jesus was 30 years old in 26 AD, then he was born 5 BCE. So the crucifixion of Jesus was 30 AD, since Jesus ministry lasted 3.5 years. And since Jesus was crucified on the 14th of Nisan, he was crucified only 13 days after his birthday, which means he was 34 years and 13 days old when he died.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Jesus was born on April 1?

Post by Soloist »

I don’t see that it matters. It wasn’t specified in Scripture and no doctrine rests on it.
3 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm I don’t see that it matters. It wasn’t specified in Scripture and no doctrine rests on it.
Yep. This is a weird hill to die on.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

I once read an article that said Jesus was born on September 11.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

One thing I learned from the Banawa is that 'birthdays' are of no importance. ANYWAY, Why should YOU get a cake and a present, when your MOM did all of the work?! (Of course they - well, at least the older ones - have absolutely no idea how old they are, not even the year.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Coifi
Affiliation: Orthodox (OCA)

Post by Coifi »

Lex wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:01 pm Why Nisan 1?
1. Because it is exactly the same day that God's presence filled the Tent of Meeting (Ex 40:2, Ex 40:34). This event was a shadow that foretold the incarnation of God (John 1:14, the greek word "skenoo" literally means "to tent" ). On the same day that God came to earth to be in a tent, on the same day God came to earth to be in a human body.
Not bad, but what if we said that Christ became incarnate when he was conceived? So, if we say he was born on the 25th of December, and a pregnancy is about 9 months that puts the date of conception at March 25th (not too far from the first of April)...which just so happens to be the date on which churches like the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Church celebrate the feast of the Annunciation - the celebration of the conception of Christ. Not only do you get to keep your reasoning here, but you get the most awesome pro-life (albeit strictly Christian) argument!
2 x
"I publicly confess that this teaching clearly reveals truths that will afford us the blessings of life and I submit that the temples and altars that we have dedicated to no advantage be immediately desecrated and burned." [A.D. 627]
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

justme wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:34 pm I once read an article that said Jesus was born on September 11.
^^i think i saw something to that affect, too.
Coifi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 pm
1. Because it is exactly the same day that God's presence filled the Tent of Meeting (Ex 40:2, Ex 40:34). This event was a shadow that foretold the incarnation of God (John 1:14, the greek word "skenoo" literally means "to tent" ). On the same day that God came to earth to be in a tent, on the same day God came to earth to be in a human body.
Not bad, but what if we said that Christ became incarnate when he was conceived?
So, if we say he was born on the 25th of December, and a pregnancy is about 9 months that puts the date of conception at March 25th (not too far from the first of April)...which just so happens to be the date on which churches like the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Church celebrate the feast of the Annunciation - the celebration of the conception of Christ. Not only do you get to keep your reasoning here, but you get the most awesome pro-life (albeit strictly Christian) argument!
Chinese .. 1 Year at Birth
If this isn't confusing enough, the Chinese start counting age from the time you are conceived, not born, so every Chinese is one year old at birth and then adds to their age each Chinese New Year instead of their actual birthday.

To learn your age based on the Chinese calendar, click here for a nifty tool to do so.
https://www.jennysshanghaitours.com/jen ... 20birthday.
^^i read about the Chinese view years ago. i found it insightful.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Lex wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:01 pm Jesus was born on Nisan 1, 5 BCE.
So then why does the title of the thread suggest he was born on April 1? :roll:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

If this isn't confusing enough, the Chinese start counting age from the time you are conceived, not born, so every Chinese is one year old at birth ...
Those poor mothers. :shock:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Lex »

Coifi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 pm
Not bad, but what if we said that Christ became incarnate when he was conceived? So, if we say he was born on the 25th of December, and a pregnancy is about 9 months that puts the date of conception at March 25th (not too far from the first of April)...which just so happens to be the date on which churches like the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Church celebrate the feast of the Annunciation - the celebration of the conception of Christ. Not only do you get to keep your reasoning here, but you get the most awesome pro-life (albeit strictly Christian) argument!
The construction of the Tent of Meeting most likely began in the month of Elul. That is 8 months (with leap month) until the month of Nisan. As the Tent of Meeting represents the body of Jesus, this means that Jesus was conceived in Elul of the year 6 BCE and was born on Nisan 1, 5 BCE. 8 months is less than a normal pregnancy length, but Jesus was not a "normal" man either. But it could also be that we should not count from Elul but from Siwan, the month in which God filled Mount Sinai with his presence. This could be a reference to Mary's pregnancy by the Holy Spirit, because she was also filled with God's presence. Then there would be 11 months (with leap month) between Siwan and Nisan.

And no, Jesus was certainly not born in December or January. I have given two other reasons why December makes no sense. Reason 1: There is not a single biblical Jewish feast in December or January. There is Hanukkah and Hanukkah is mentioned in the New Testament, but Hanukkah is not in the accepted Jewish/Protestant canon of the Old Testament and is therefore an non-biblical festival. It makes little sense that Jesus was born on a non-biblical feast day. And as I have already explained, it makes a lot of sense that Jesus was born on a biblical Jewish feast day. Reason 2: According to the law, the Passover lamb must be 1 year old, which means that the Passover lambs must have been born around spring. If we now consider that during the birth of Jesus shepherds were grazing with their lambs then this could indeed be an indication that these lambs were the Passover lambs that were born at the same season as Jesus, in spring.
0 x