Fasting

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Fasting

Post by Once Again »

I'd like to study more about the subject of prayer and fasting. I don't often hear a sermon about fasting. (Actually, I'm not sure I ever have) Any book suggestions? Or online sermons?

Thanks, Laura
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Re: Fasting

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Laura, I hope this topic gets some attention. The other day I thought about creating a thread on fasting. I've never heard anything on fasting preached in churches I've attended.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

This is a topic/practice I am very interested in because of the importance placed on it in Scripture and the purpose, as well as Jesus teachings- yet it is also an area I am very convicted of in falling short of it and struggling about it when I attempt to fast.

We learned a lot about it in the Orthodox Church while attending, it is a way of life for them- and I gained a lot of understanding about it there, yet still felt so convicted in falling short. I learned that in the earliest days of the Church too, which is verified in the first century Didache, that the Church began fasting together on Wednesdays & Fridays, because the Jews fasted on Tuesdays & Thursdays- (of course this was not LIMITED to these days, there are seasons of fastings, and fastings for special times/reasons)-

Also, I have known Amish that seem to practice fasting when seeking God on things- an Amish woman went missing last year I think- and she had gone away by herself to fast & pray- I've heard of other AMish placing importance on fasting-

So I too am interested in reading any helpful advice, or learn helpful teachings to it. Learning to deny passions (which eating is a passion, if in excess) and emptying oneself of that need is suppose to help the work of Grace in your life I believe. It seems these days in most denominations little is said about it. I sometimes wonder if it is leading to a weaker church "Spiritually", but of course it is also something we do not 'boast' about or advertise either- so maybe folks can share here about it. Thanks for bringing it up!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

This link begins with this statement - https://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/spir ... sting.html
Fasting is the most powerful spiritual discipline of all the Christian disciplines. Through fasting and prayer, the Holy Spirit can transform your life.
I have just begun looking into this study on fasting and I wonder what others think about what it says about what fasting does for the believer. If what they say is true, then fasting should still be a very on-going common practise in a Christian's life. Private fasting is important as Jesus pointed out and He also said it brings rewards. Fasting is a life style for those desiring to be close to God. Believe it ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

There are different types of fasting, we're taught. What type of fasting are we addressing?
Total abstinence from food with water only?
Small meal every day and water?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

There is an interesting verse involving fasting that has been removed by the NIV, NLT, NCV and CEV translations as the older are considered better manuscripts of Mathew and did not include it. That verse is Mathew 17;21 - 'Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." KJV and also as similar text in many other versions.

This verse left in doesn't seem to fit the context imo, and if left in, what does this imply ? Are there forms of deliverance from evil that can only be overcome through prayer and fasting ? Since the preceding verse talks about having faith, is prayer and fasting directly related to having faith that produces results ? When scripture asks if when Jesus returns faith will be hard to find and could this be partly due to the ignoring of fasting ? Just some questions popping into my mind. Thoughts anyone ?

Here are a list of 40 bible references regarding fasting. Seems quite important throughout scripture - http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical- ... t-fasting/
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Seems fasting is not a common Mennonite practise even though Jesus and the early church fasted. Perhaps it not being a Mennonite practise explains the lack of participation on this subject.

What Jesus said about what His followers would do -
And they said to him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but your eat and drink? And he said to them, Can you make the children of the bridal chamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
I suppose 'in those days' could mean in the days after Jesus death and before His resurrection and not in the last days (the NT era).

However, we do have examples of the early church fasting -
And while they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Can someone explain why Mennonites, in general, are not followers of Jesus and the early church in this area ?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I disagree that this is something we don't support or teach or practice. We do. Just busy at the moment.
I had a post began, & lost it. I'll post more later.
0 x
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

Sudsy,

Thanks for the link to the list of Bible verses about fasting.

Sudsy wrote:There is an interesting verse involving fasting that has been removed by the NIV, NLT, NCV and CEV translations as the older are considered better manuscripts of Mathew and did not include it. That verse is Mathew 17;21 - 'Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." KJV and also as similar text in many other versions.

This verse left in doesn't seem to fit the context imo, and if left in, what does this imply ? Are there forms of deliverance from evil that can only be overcome through prayer and fasting ? Since the preceding verse talks about having faith, is prayer and fasting directly related to having faith that produces results ? When scripture asks if when Jesus returns faith will be hard to find and could this be partly due to the ignoring of fasting ? Just some questions popping into my mind. Thoughts anyone ?

Here are a list of 40 bible references regarding fasting. Seems quite important throughout scripture - http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical- ... t-fasting/
0 x
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

Valerie wrote:This is a topic/practice I am very interested in because of the importance placed on it in Scripture and the purpose, as well as Jesus teachings- yet it is also an area I am very convicted of in falling short of it and struggling about it when I attempt to fast.

We learned a lot about it in the Orthodox Church while attending, it is a way of life for them- and I gained a lot of understanding about it there, yet still felt so convicted in falling short. I learned that in the earliest days of the Church too, which is verified in the first century Didache, that the Church began fasting together on Wednesdays & Fridays, because the Jews fasted on Tuesdays & Thursdays- (of course this was not LIMITED to these days, there are seasons of fastings, and fastings for special times/reasons)-

Also, I have known Amish that seem to practice fasting when seeking God on things- an Amish woman went missing last year I think- and she had gone away by herself to fast & pray- I've heard of other AMish placing importance on fasting-

So I too am interested in reading any helpful advice, or learn helpful teachings to it. Learning to deny passions (which eating is a passion, if in excess) and emptying oneself of that need is suppose to help the work of Grace in your life I believe. It seems these days in most denominations little is said about it. I sometimes wonder if it is leading to a weaker church "Spiritually", but of course it is also something we do not 'boast' about or advertise either- so maybe folks can share here about it. Thanks for bringing it up!

Valerie,

That is something for me to think about: Does not fasting lead to a spiritually weak church and/or christian?
0 x