Fasting

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Fasting

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote:I disagree that this is something we don't support or teach or practice. We do. Just busy at the moment.
I had a post began, & lost it. I'll post more later.
Thanks RZehr, looking forward to your thoughts. Actually I found this sermon from the Pittsburgh Mennonite Church (imo, good church name) and I think this sermon is excellent ! I especially found this OT reference to fasting interesting
Through the prophet Isaiah God says to them, “the kind of fast I desire is when –

You loose the chains of injustice,
Stop exploiting your workers,
Set the oppressed free,
Share your food with the hungry,
Bring the homeless into your house,
And clothe the naked.”

Then, God says, when you do these things:

Your healing will quickly appear,
You will call on me and I will answer,
I will guide you,
And I will satisfy all your needs and you will be like a well-watered garden.

Isaiah helps us see that a “true fast” is always closely connected with doing the work of justice and reconciliation in the world.
The link - http://www.pittsburghmennonite.org/the- ... f-fasting/
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Once Again wrote:
Valerie wrote:This is a topic/practice I am very interested in because of the importance placed on it in Scripture and the purpose, as well as Jesus teachings- yet it is also an area I am very convicted of in falling short of it and struggling about it when I attempt to fast.

We learned a lot about it in the Orthodox Church while attending, it is a way of life for them- and I gained a lot of understanding about it there, yet still felt so convicted in falling short. I learned that in the earliest days of the Church too, which is verified in the first century Didache, that the Church began fasting together on Wednesdays & Fridays, because the Jews fasted on Tuesdays & Thursdays- (of course this was not LIMITED to these days, there are seasons of fastings, and fastings for special times/reasons)-

Also, I have known Amish that seem to practice fasting when seeking God on things- an Amish woman went missing last year I think- and she had gone away by herself to fast & pray- I've heard of other AMish placing importance on fasting-

So I too am interested in reading any helpful advice, or learn helpful teachings to it. Learning to deny passions (which eating is a passion, if in excess) and emptying oneself of that need is suppose to help the work of Grace in your life I believe. It seems these days in most denominations little is said about it. I sometimes wonder if it is leading to a weaker church "Spiritually", but of course it is also something we do not 'boast' about or advertise either- so maybe folks can share here about it. Thanks for bringing it up!

Valerie,

That is something for me to think about: Does not fasting lead to a spiritually weak church and/or christian?
Oh, Laura my error! I meant 'lack' of fasting may lead to a Spiritually weak church or Believer-possibly? There must have been some reason Jesus fasted 40 days! Also, when His disciples could not cast a demon out of a man, Jesus said "however this kind cannot come out without prayer & fasting" (Matthew 17:21) so obviously the two actions are tied together for spiritual benefit, for the work of ministry as well. Laura mentioned that verse is left out of some translations- however, none of them leave out the fact that Jesus fasted 40 days.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote:
RZehr wrote:I disagree that this is something we don't support or teach or practice. We do. Just busy at the moment.
Thanks RZehr, looking forward to your thoughts. Actually I found this sermon from the Pittsburgh Mennonite Church (imo, good church name) and I think this sermon is excellent ! I especially found this OT reference to fasting interesting
Through the prophet Isaiah God says to them, “the kind of fast I desire is when –

Set the oppressed free,
And clothe the naked.”

I will guide you,

Isaiah helps us see that a “true fast” is always closely connected with doing the work of justice and reconciliation in the world.
There is more fasting going on among Mennonites than what it may appear on this thread. My experience is that it is not something we have need of discussing in public, but rather it is practised without fanfare in our personal relationship with our Lord.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

silentreader wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

Set the oppressed free,
And clothe the naked.”

I will guide you,

There is more fasting going on among Mennonites than what it may appear on this thread. My experience is that it is not something we have need of discussing in public, but rather it is practised without fanfare in our personal relationship with our Lord.
Yes but no one is expecting you to share 'when you are fasting' in this thread, but to discuss your understandings about it and how it is taught in the Mennonite/Anabaptist doctrine, when, where. why, etc- like every other topic up for discussion- no one is asking anyone to announce when they happen to be fasting, but to share their thoughts about it- there is a difference between the two--perhaps share your experience on what you gain, learn, why you do, if you notice strength etc- advice- and Once Again mentioned that it is seldom mentioned in churches- but everything else seems to be?
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Valerie wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

Yes but no one is expecting you to share 'when you are fasting' in this thread, but to discuss your understandings about it and how it is taught in the Mennonite/Anabaptist doctrine, when, where. why, etc- like every other topic up for discussion- no one is asking anyone to announce when they happen to be fasting, but to share their thoughts about it- there is a difference between the two--perhaps share your experience on what you gain, learn, why you do, if you notice strength etc- advice- and Once Again mentioned that it is seldom mentioned in churches- but everything else seems to be?
I really wasn't talking about 'when you are fasting'.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

silentreader wrote:
Valerie wrote:
silentreader wrote:
I really wasn't talking about 'when you are fasting'.
I'm sorry I misunderstood-
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Personally, I'm interested in whether or not others believe fasting is an ongoing spiritual discipline rather than a once a year activity as some treat foot washing or communion. I have attended a Mennonite church for years and do not recall any sermons on fasting. As a youth, in Pentecostalism, fasting was a common practise especially amongst those we called 'prayer warriors'. I believe the view was that there was power added to prayer by fasting to affect circumstances that appeared needed the special supernatural power of God to change. And as I said before I thought this sermon on fasting link I gave by the Pittsburgh Mennonite Church is one worth considering for those interested.

I suspect many Christians do not fast and partly for the reason of not believing or understanding what fasting can accomplish. That is why I think it to be a good topic. Personally, I have fasted with water only for single days and once for 5 days but they were all for health reasons. Would love to hear from those who have fasted or do fast for spiritual reasons and what they believe fasting has and is affecting their walk with God.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

It is very common in our circles to fast before a big decision. A young man may fast prior to asking a young lady to court. The young lady may fast before giving her answer. There is fasting over sin. Over ordinations there will be fasting. There will be fasting done over major business decisions. Just this week I was traveling with a friend and he mentioned that he recently had fasted, which I thought was interesting timing for this thread. We don’t typically fast as a group -other than at bible school- but rather individually, and the individual seldom tells anyone other than his or her spouse that he fasting or planning to fast.

I can’t remember any recent sermons on fasting although it is mentioned over the pulpit and encouraged.

One of my biggest challenges in fasting, is not the lack of eating. My biggest challenge is the rest of life, and not being able to “Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while”. I believe an important part, or the best way, of fasting is fasting from other things as well at the same time. Ideally, I would like to take time off work, don’t play competitive sports, refrain from carnal activities.

Some people are worried about health issues, but I think 99% of this misguided and not of faith. It’s not going to hurt anyone to fast for a day, and it seems like many people are willing to fast for a day as long as it is done in the name of some health fad or cleanse!

I’ve heard many people hold the idea that fasting gives your prayer extra oomph; or shows God that you are really serious. There may be some truth to this, and I am not completely dismissing it. However I wonder if perhaps what is going on more of a clearing of your mind in order to hear God, giving a chance for a clear small voice to penetrate mind.

I also wonder about the using of fasting as a tool to reach God. Is this correct thinking?
When Jesus says that His disciples would fast, was he saying that they would subscribe to fasting as a discipline? Or could it be that proper fasting is more organic than a discipline? Could He be saying that there will be trials of such magnitude for his followers that they will not be able to eat, that they will lose their appetite because of their distress? Is this organic fasting a byproduct of a heart crying out to God, and not a tool or discipline to get Gods attention? Or both? Your thoughts?

My friend recommended the book God’s Chosen Fast, by Arthur Wallis.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

RZehr wrote:It is very common in our circles to fast before a big decision. A young man may fast prior to asking a young lady to court. The young lady may fast before giving her answer. There is fasting over sin. Over ordinations there will be fasting. There will be fasting done over major business decisions. Just this week I was traveling with a friend and he mentioned that he recently had fasted, which I thought was interesting timing for this thread. We don’t typically fast as a group -other than at bible school- but rather individually, and the individual seldom tells anyone other than his or her spouse that he fasting or planning to fast.

I can’t remember any recent sermons on fasting although it is mentioned over the pulpit and encouraged.

One of my biggest challenges in fasting, is not the lack of eating. My biggest challenge is the rest of life, and not being able to “Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while”. I believe an important part, or the best way, of fasting is fasting from other things as well at the same time. Ideally, I would like to take time off work, don’t play competitive sports, refrain from carnal activities.

Some people are worried about health issues, but I think 99% of this misguided and not of faith. It’s not going to hurt anyone to fast for a day, and it seems like many people are willing to fast for a day as long as it is done in the name of some health fad or cleanse!

I’ve heard many people hold the idea that fasting gives your prayer extra oomph; or shows God that you are really serious. There may be some truth to this, and I am not completely dismissing it. However I wonder if perhaps what is going on more of a clearing of your mind in order to hear God, giving a chance for a clear small voice to penetrate mind.

I also wonder about the using of fasting as a tool to reach God. Is this correct thinking?
When Jesus says that His disciples would fast, was he saying that they would subscribe to fasting as a discipline? Or could it be that proper fasting is more organic than a discipline? Could He be saying that there will be trials of such magnitude for his followers that they will not be able to eat, that they will lose their appetite because of their distress? Is this organic fasting a byproduct of a heart crying out to God, and not a tool or discipline to get Gods attention? Or both? Your thoughts?

Now there is an approach I can agree and identify with, (I'm not talking about the book, I haven't read it). It seems to me that rather than fasting for the sake of fasting, fasting should be a natural consequence of seeking the Lord's face, a result of attempting to set aside as much as possible the physical and temporal demands of our lives in order to immerse ourselves in spiritual communion with God, often in order to discover His will and direction, sometimes in intercession for another.
0 x
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

RZehr,

Thank you for your thoughts on fasting and the book recommendation.

Laura

RZehr wrote:It is very common in our circles to fast before a big decision. A young man may fast prior to asking a young lady to court. The young lady may fast before giving her answer. There is fasting over sin. Over ordinations there will be fasting. There will be fasting done over major business decisions. Just this week I was traveling with a friend and he mentioned that he recently had fasted, which I thought was interesting timing for this thread. We don’t typically fast as a group -other than at bible school- but rather individually, and the individual seldom tells anyone other than his or her spouse that he fasting or planning to fast.

0 x