Fasting

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Fasting

Post by KingdomBuilder »

0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:A short piece on fasting
http://www.pilgrimministry.org/literatu ... discipline
Good read ! Perhaps considering all the attention being given to these demonstration conflicts we Christians should consider calling for a fast as part of our response. Do we really believe our prayers have more effect on what God will do if we fast ? Seems to me throughout scripture many did. Since this article noted the instruction began 'when you fast' and not 'if you fast' then isn't fasting a command to be obeyed even though not directly stated as 'thou shalt fast' ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Fasting should lead to more clarity of mind to focus on prayer. I would lean more to the personal fasting as opposed to group fasting. I didn't study the article but I believe the group fasts were in the OT era. I would agree that we don't get enough teaching on fasting.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:Fasting should lead to more clarity of mind to focus on prayer. I would lean more to the personal fasting as opposed to group fasting. I didn't study the article but I believe the group fasts were in the OT era. I would agree that we don't get enough teaching on fasting.
According to the Didache, the earliest days of the Church included corporate fasting- the early Church fasted together on Wednesdays & Fridays, see Chapter 8 (you will also read that pouring for baptism was allowed according to the Didache if there was not another way)

https://carm.org/didache

So from the beginning, it was taught to fast 'together' as a church except on different days than the Jews who fasted Tuesdays & Thursdays- and then in addition to that fasting was individual fasting-
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:Fasting should lead to more clarity of mind to focus on prayer. I would lean more to the personal fasting as opposed to group fasting. I didn't study the article but I believe the group fasts were in the OT era. I would agree that we don't get enough teaching on fasting.
What I was taught it is kind of two-fold- in that it is used to help discipline oneself against 'passions' and also to receive grace which WOULD help when seeking God, and emptying oneself for the Holy Spirit to fill-
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:A short piece on fasting
http://www.pilgrimministry.org/literatu ... discipline
Good read ! Perhaps considering all the attention being given to these demonstration conflicts we Christians should consider calling for a fast as part of our response. Do we really believe our prayers have more effect on what God will do if we fast ? Seems to me throughout scripture many did. Since this article noted the instruction began 'when you fast' and not 'if you fast' then isn't fasting a command to be obeyed even though not directly stated as 'thou shalt fast' ?
Agree!!
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Valerie wrote:
According to the Didache, the earliest days of the Church included corporate fasting- the early Church fasted together on Wednesdays & Fridays, see Chapter 8 (you will also read that pouring for baptism was allowed according to the Didache if there was not another way)

So from the beginning, it was taught to fast 'together' as a church except on different days than the Jews who fasted Tuesdays & Thursdays- and then in addition to that fasting was individual fasting-
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Hats Off wrote:
Valerie wrote:

I have never read the Didache - I will stick to my understanding from reading the Bible. And based on that, I believe that we are not faithful enough in fasting - although as mentioned earlier, we really don't know to what extend personal fasting is practised because we don't really talk about it.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Hats Off wrote: we really don't know to what extend personal fasting is practised because we don't really talk about it.
Well if we do then it's not a secret to others, which it should be.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Hats Off wrote: we really don't know to what extend personal fasting is practised because we don't really talk about it.
Well if we do then it's not a secret to others, which it should be.
When it comes to doing things in secret, I don't think , for instance, fasting in secret, means that we don't agree together to fast for a specific cause or that we don't share with each other and encourage each other to fast. I think what Jesus was saying is don't try to impress people that you are religious by what you look like outwardly when you are doing things in your private inner relationship with God. Same with giving. Give without trying to impress others. I don't think it means to secretly find a way to give charitably where absolutely no one could know where the offering came from. In other words, don't be a religious show off because whatever recognition you get with this motive to impress will be the only reward you will receive. I think we can apply this to any outward show that we are religious for attention. God sees and will reward according to what is our motivation in our actions..
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit