ChatGPT outline of Sermon on the Mount

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: ChatGPT outline of Sermon on the Mount

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:11 pm Still responding to Ernie's response ...

Often, you have to keep asking questions to lead GPT in the right direction ... it's a bit like "you are getting warmer ..."
User
Does Jesus also teach ritual, in addition to transformation?
No, in the Sermon on the Mount and throughout His teachings in the New Testament, Jesus does not primarily emphasize ritualistic observance. Instead, His focus is primarily on transformation, inner righteousness, and the state of the heart. While Jesus did not reject all religious rituals or practices, His teachings place a greater emphasis on the following:

1. Transformation of the Heart: Jesus repeatedly emphasizes the importance of inner transformation and purity of heart. He teaches that true righteousness goes beyond external actions and rituals and requires a genuine change of heart (Matthew 5:8, 23-24).

2. Relationship with God: Jesus encourages a personal and authentic relationship with God rather than a mere performance of rituals. He teaches about prayer, fasting, and almsgiving but emphasizes doing these acts with sincerity and humility rather than for public recognition (Matthew 6:1-18).

3. Love and Compassion: Love for God and love for others are central themes in Jesus' teachings. He instructs His followers to love their neighbors, even their enemies, and to show mercy and forgiveness (Matthew 5:43-48, Matthew 6:14-15).

4. Ethical Living: Jesus provides ethical principles that guide behavior and relationships, such as the commandments against murder, adultery, false oaths, and retaliation. He emphasizes the spirit of these commandments over legalistic interpretations (Matthew 5:21-48).

5. Dependence on God: Jesus encourages trust in God's provision and care, rather than excessive worry about material needs or possessions (Matthew 6:25-34).

While Jesus did not reject all Jewish rituals or religious practices, His teachings were revolutionary in their emphasis on matters of the heart, authenticity in one's relationship with God, and the importance of love, compassion, and ethical living. He challenged legalistic interpretations of the Law and external religiosity when they overshadowed the deeper spiritual and moral aspects of faith.
Ernie, how accurate do you think this is? What would you want to change?
Again, Chat GPT is using Protestant assumptions found online in outlines of the sermon on the mount, to arrive at the conclusion that Jesus does not emphasize ritualistic observance.

Cambridge Dictionary gives this as the first definition for ritual.
a way of doing something in which the same actions are done in the same way every time:
I think that always telling the truth, praying in the manner of the Lord's prayer, always trusting God to supply our needs rather than worrying like most people on the earth, not looking on women to lust after them, etc. etc. are rituals that Jesus is instructing us to make habits in our life and not do what the world is likely to do instead of these things. So this is an example to me of how wrong and harmful Chat GPT can be for Christians. It appears that you agree with Chat GPT above and that is concerning to me if I am understanding correctly.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

JohnHurt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:33 pm This discussion between Risch and AI has helped me to the limitations of AI:
Never ask AI a question to which you don't already know the answer. :!:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:23 pm
JohnHurt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:33 pm This discussion between Risch and AI has helped me to the limitations of AI:
Never ask AI a question to which you don't already know the answer. :!:
AI does the research for you, and that is where you lose the game.

A friend of mine is a University professor. When COVID hit, the University went to online education, and testing.
It was too easy to cheat with online multiple choice tests, so they went to online essay questions, which they could run the student's responses through an online "plagiarism detector" program to detect cheating. This is like putting a sentence inside double quotes in Google to find a match and see if it has been plagiarized.

With AI generated essay answers, this doesn't work. My professor friend said that AI can write an essay test response perfectly, and different every time, so you cannot tell it has been plagiarized.

He said AI can write a term paper for a freshman - perfectly like what an A+ graduate student could write. This means with AI and online education, the school cannot tell if the student has really mastered and absorbed the information taught in class.

My friend said that using AI is like using a bulldozer, when everyone else has to use a shovel, so why not just teach the students how to use AI? He said the problem is that the students will not develop critical thinking skills, and AI cannot create anything new. So AI kills the creative research needed for someone to advance to the point where they develop new ideas.

Do you remember doing math with pencil and paper? Long division, short division, multiplication, carrying numbers from the "tens" column, etc.

Kids that grew up with calculators can't do math on paper today.

When someone overcharges me, I can do the math in my head, from my pen and paper education days - and ask them how they came up with their numbers. Young people that learned math using calculators cannot.

The same will hold true if education relies on AI, and not individual research. It will turn the students minds to putty as no effort is required.

So what about religion?

When I attended the Church of Christ, I met Tom Tignor, who worked at David Lipscomb University, and approved religious materials as being suitable for members of the Church of Christ.

Moody Bible Institute in Chicago produces the Sunday School lessons and sermon outlines for the Baptist, Church of Christ, Presbyterian, Methodist and other mainline churches. Tom's job was to take these materials from Moody, correct them to conform to Church of Christ doctrines, and return them to Moody for publication - for use by all of the Church of Christ Sunday Schools and Ministers.

So if you ever wondered why all of the churches in your area are teaching "The Rich Man and Lazarus" on the same Sunday, and that what the kids learned in Sunday Scholl is the same topic the pastor gave the lesson on, now you know why.

AI would be perfect for this work. It would have the knowledge base of a Church of Christ "avatar" with all of the accepted Church of Christ teachings, and then the AI would correct all of the documents to conform to Church of Christ theology. For most people, this would not be a problem.

The reason it would not be a problem, is that most people don't do any real research on the Bible, or even try to understand it for themselves. They accept whatever they are told.

And they would be happy if a Church Minister produced every lesson from AI, as they would be assured of orthodoxy, and there would be no new dissensions or any squabbles about new ideas.

But people who read the Bible for themselves wouldn't like it at all.

I believe AI is not a blessing, it is a control mechanism, as it discourages innovation and the formation of new ideas or solutions. AI is a curse to all of us for this reason.

So the belief that Noah Havari and Klaus Schwab of the World Economic Forum have that AI could run the governments of men better than our "failed" democratic principles - is an idea they hope to use to enslave all of us. AI is controlled by the people that control the AI data sets.

As Elon Musk said:
Beware of those that worship AI gods.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:34 pm It appears that you agree with Chat GPT above and that is concerning to me if I am understanding correctly.
When I post ChatGPT output in this thread, that doesn't mean I agree with it. I really am "kicking the tires" to see what it does. I think ChatGPT is a lot like Google search results. If you blindly assume it's right instead of carefully testing what it says, you are doing the wrong thing. But I don't think that means doing Google searches is bad, I think both Google searches and ChatGPT can be helpful, but need to be used wisely. And we are just beginning to learn what using ChatGPT wisely means.

In this case, I think you and ChatGPT probably have different understandings of what "ritualistic observance" means, and I probably agree with both you and the response you are disagreeing with, I just think you are using different definitions. But in many cases, ChatGPT can be flat out wrong.

I asked what it meant by this phrase, and got this:
"Ritualistic observance" typically implies a consistent, often reverent, engagement in certain rituals. It suggests that these rituals are not performed casually or spontaneously, but according to established traditions or rules, often passed down through generations or prescribed by religious or cultural authorities. This concept is central to many religious and cultural practices, where certain rituals are seen as vital to the expression of faith, community identity, or personal belief.
So let's apply that definition to your list:
Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:34 pmI think that always telling the truth, praying in the manner of the Lord's prayer, always trusting God to supply our needs rather than worrying like most people on the earth, not looking on women to lust after them, etc. etc. are rituals that Jesus is instructing us to make habits in our life and not do what the world is likely to do instead of these things.
Here's what I asked:
Which of the following are examples of ritualistic observance? How would you categorize the others?

- always telling the truth
- praying in the manner of the Lord's prayer
- always trusting God to supply our needs rather than worrying like most people on the earth
- not looking on women to lust after them
Here's what it said:
Ritualistic Observance:
  • Praying in the Manner of the Lord's Prayer: This can be considered a ritualistic observance. The Lord's Prayer is a specific prayer given by Jesus as a model. Repeating this prayer, especially in a regular, structured manner, fits the definition of a ritualistic practice. It involves specific words and a particular form, and it's often embedded in a broader religious or spiritual context.
Moral/Ethical Principles or Spiritual Dispositions:
  • Always Telling the Truth: This is more a moral or ethical principle than a ritualistic observance. It's a commitment to honesty and integrity in one's actions and words, but it doesn't involve a specific ritual or ceremonial practice.
  • Always Trusting God to Supply Our Needs Rather Than Worrying: This is more a matter of faith or spiritual disposition than a ritualistic observance. Trusting in God is a principle or attitude encouraged in many religious traditions, but it doesn't inherently involve a specific ritual or ceremonial action. It's about a state of mind and heart, a way of living and perceiving the world.
  • Not Looking on Women to Lust After Them: This is a guideline for personal conduct, specifically relating to self-control and respect for others. It's a moral or ethical stance rather than a ritualistic observance. There's no ritual or ceremony involved in this practice; it's about individual behavior and attitude.

Then I asked this question:
What did Jesus emphasize about each of these in the Sermon on the Mount?
Here's what it said:
1. Always Telling the Truth:
In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus emphasizes the importance of integrity and truthfulness. While He does not explicitly say "always tell the truth," His teachings promote sincerity and honesty in one's actions and words. For example, in Matthew 5:37, He says, "Let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' Anything more than this comes from the evil one." This underscores the importance of straightforwardness and honesty in communication.

2. Praying in the Manner of the Lord's Prayer:
Jesus introduces the Lord's Prayer as a model for prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. He emphasizes simplicity, sincerity, and reverence in prayer, as opposed to long, ostentatious prayers made for the sake of public display. The Lord's Prayer is a concise yet profound template that covers praise, submission to God's will, requests for daily needs, forgiveness, and guidance away from temptation.

3. Always Trusting God to Supply Our Needs Rather Than Worrying:
In Matthew 6:25-34, Jesus teaches about reliance on God for our needs and advises against worry and anxiety about daily life, such as food and clothing. He points to the birds of the air and the lilies of the field, which do not labor or spin, yet are cared for by God, encouraging trust in God's provision.

4. Not Looking on Women to Lust After Them:
In Matthew 5:27-28, Jesus expands on the commandment against adultery, teaching that even looking at a woman lustfully is akin to committing adultery in one's heart. This teaching emphasizes the importance of purity in thought and intention, not just in outward actions.
Then I asked this:
Does Jesus endorse religious practices in the Sermon on the Mount? What everyday practices and habits does it teach?
Here's what it said:
In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus does not explicitly endorse religious practices in the ritualistic sense. Instead, He reinterprets and deepens the understanding of religious practices, emphasizing the spirit and intention behind them rather than mere external observance. His teachings focus on the heart, motivations, and genuine relationship with God. However, He does touch upon several practices and habits that are integral to everyday living for His followers:

### Everyday Practices and Habits Taught in the Sermon on the Mount:

1. **Prayer (Matthew 6:5-15)**: Jesus teaches about prayer, emphasizing private, sincere communication with God rather than public displays of piety. He provides the Lord's Prayer as a model, which encompasses praise, submission to God's will, petition for daily needs, seeking forgiveness, and guidance away from temptation.

2. **Almsgiving (Matthew 6:1-4)**: Jesus discusses giving to the needy, instructing to do it discreetly and not for public admiration. The focus is on the selfless act of giving rather than seeking recognition.

3. **Fasting (Matthew 6:16-18)**: Similar to His teachings on prayer and almsgiving, Jesus advises that fasting should be a private matter between the individual and God, not a public display of spirituality.

4. **Dealing with Anger (Matthew 5:21-26)**: Jesus teaches about reconciling with others and managing anger, emphasizing the importance of resolving conflicts quickly and peacefully.

5. **Lust and Adultery (Matthew 5:27-30)**: He addresses issues of lust and adultery, teaching that sin begins in the heart and mind, not just in actions. This calls for self-control and purity in thoughts.

6. **Love for Enemies (Matthew 5:43-48)**: Jesus instructs to love not only neighbors but also enemies, encouraging a radical form of love that includes praying for those who persecute you.

7. **Non-Retaliation (Matthew 5:38-42)**: He teaches against the principle of "an eye for an eye" and instead encourages turning the other cheek and not seeking revenge.

8. **Judging Others (Matthew 7:1-5)**: Jesus warns against hypocritical judgment and emphasizes the need for self-examination and humility.

9. **Seeking God (Matthew 7:7-12)**: He encourages persistent prayer and seeking God's guidance and presence in daily life.

10. **Building on Solid Foundation (Matthew 7:24-27)**: The sermon concludes with the parable of building a house on rock versus sand, symbolizing the importance of putting His teachings into practice as a firm foundation for life.

### Summary
While Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount does not explicitly endorse religious practices in a traditional, ritualistic sense, He profoundly reshapes the understanding of these practices, focusing on their heartfelt and sincere execution. He teaches everyday practices and habits that center on internal attitudes, genuine love, humility, and a deep, personal relationship with God, rather than mere external observance of religious rituals.

Again, I think it would be stupid to take ChatGPT results and just use them "as is" without carefully and prayerfully comparing them to the original text of Scripture. The right way to use ChatGPT is to do what we are doing now - discussing what it got right and wrong and using it to focus on what the text itself tells us.

So what do you agree with and disagree with in the above responses?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 am Again, I think it would be stupid to take ChatGPT results and just use them "as is" without carefully and prayerfully comparing them to the original text of Scripture. The right way to use ChatGPT is to do what we are doing now - discussing what it got right and wrong and using it to focus on what the text itself tells us.

So what do you agree with and disagree with in the above responses?
I guess ChatGPT and I could quibble about the use of the term "ritual". So I will not address that further.

I agree with most of it... I think what concerns me most is how it promotes concepts that are often mentioned on the web, and tends to disregard concepts that are not mentioned much on the internet.

"Managing anger" is not something I see in the Sermon on the Mount. That is a 20th century concept. Rather I see Jesus teaching about the kind of heart that produces anger.

"Personal relationship with God" is something I think is important. And I think the Sermon on the Mount can contribute to this. But again, this is a 20th century concept that is mentioned frequently on the web. Obedience is not mentioned.

ChatGPT says this in the final sentence.
He teaches everyday practices and habits that center on internal attitudes, genuine love, humility, and a deep, personal relationship with God, rather than mere external observance of religious rituals.
If I was to summarize the sermon on the mount, I might say something like,
"Jesus teaches everyday practices and habits that come from the heart of a person who is being transformed into the image of God. Jesus' emphasis on internal attitudes, genuine love, humility, and an obedience that springs from a love/faith relationship with God, brings meaning and purpose to life, helps us become the person we were created to be, and enlivens our Christian rituals."
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 am
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 am So what do you agree with and disagree with in the above responses?
I guess ChatGPT and I could quibble about the use of the term "ritual". So I will not address that further.
And if you were using this in real life, you would probably rewrite it and use vocabulary that works for you.
Ernie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 amI agree with most of it... I think what concerns me most is how it promotes concepts that are often mentioned on the web, and tends to disregard concepts that are not mentioned much on the internet.
Yes. That's a very good observation. Sometimes it's true of humans too, of course. Either way, it's important to think, read carefully, compare to Scripture carefully and prayerfully. Sometimes seeing something that is clearly wrong is a good way to start thinking about what is right.
Ernie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 am"Managing anger" is not something I see in the Sermon on the Mount. That is a 20th century concept. Rather I see Jesus teaching about the kind of heart that produces anger.

"Personal relationship with God" is something I think is important. And I think the Sermon on the Mount can contribute to this. But again, this is a 20th century concept that is mentioned frequently on the web. Obedience is not mentioned.
I agree with you here, both times. Hmmm, I wonder what happens if I ask it to use terms and concepts found in the New Testament, especially terms and concepts found in the Sermon on the Mount ... there are various ways to tell it what sources to focus on.
In the Sermon on the Mount, the Lord Jesus does not directly commend the practices of the law in the manner of the Pharisees and scribes. Rather, He brings forth a new understanding, focusing on the purity of heart and sincerity in actions. He instructs in ways and habits that are rooted in the inner being, in love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith, rather than in the outward righteousness of the law.

Ways and Habits Taught in the Sermon on the Mount:
  • Prayer (Matthew 6:5-15): The Lord Jesus speaks of prayer in secret, in the inner room, where the Father who sees in secret will reward. He gives us the Lord's Prayer as a pattern.
  • Almsgiving (Matthew 6:1-4): The Master teaches giving in secret, not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing, so that giving may be in secret, and the Father who sees in secret will reward.
  • Fasting (Matthew 6:16-18): Fasting is to be done not with a somber face for men to see, but in secret, anointed and washed, so that it may not be seen by men but by the Father in secret.
  • Dealing with Anger (Matthew 5:21-26): The Lord counsels reconciliation with one's brother before offering gifts at the altar, addressing anger and insults with the seriousness of the heart's intent.
  • Lust and Adultery (Matthew 5:27-30): He warns that even looking with lustful intent is akin to adultery in the heart, teaching the need for purity in thought.
  • Love for Enemies (Matthew 5:43-48): The Lord commands love for enemies and prayer for those who persecute, going beyond the law of loving one's neighbor.
  • Non-Retaliation (Matthew 5:38-42): Jesus teaches turning the other cheek, not resisting the one who is evil, but giving to the one who asks and not refusing the one who would borrow.
  • Judging Others (Matthew 7:1-5): He warns against judging, that we may not be judged, and speaks of removing the log from our own eye before removing the speck from our brother's eye.
  • Seeking God (Matthew 7:7-12): The Lord encourages asking, seeking, and knocking, for the Father gives good gifts to those who ask Him.
  • Building on Solid Foundation (Matthew 7:24-27): The sermon concludes with the parable of the wise and foolish builders, emphasizing the need to hear and do His words, like a wise man who built his house on the rock.
This is one of the things I really like about ChatGPT - the ability to try things many ways fairly quickly before settling on an approach that I actually want to use.
Ernie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 amChatGPT says this in the final sentence.
He teaches everyday practices and habits that center on internal attitudes, genuine love, humility, and a deep, personal relationship with God, rather than mere external observance of religious rituals.
"Jesus teaches everyday practices and habits that come from the heart of a person who is being transformed into the image of God. Jesus' emphasis on internal attitudes, genuine love, humility, and an obedience that springs from a love/faith relationship with God, brings meaning and purpose to life, helps us become the person we were created to be, and enlivens our Christian rituals."
I like that.

And this kind of thinking and rewriting by hand is an important part of using this tool well.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:37 pmAnd this kind of thinking and rewriting by hand is an important part of using this tool well.
But those who don't think and rewrite should probably not use AI, because such persons can appear to be intelligent by their well prepared outlines and quotes, when all they are doing is promoting whatever is being mostly promoted on the internet. It would be better for them to perform more poorly, than give the impression that they know what they are talking about.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 am ChatGPT says this in the final sentence.
I once took a philosophy course taught by a Hindu priest of high rank. He was ambivalent about Jesus because he summarized his teachings as "merely internalizing Judaic ethics." The distinction you make is important.
1 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:17 pm
mike wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:22 pm Sometimes the question is not what information to share, but how to share it. I think one use of AI in teaching/preaching preparation could be to brainstorm ways to best frame a thought. But my goodness, people already have enough of a hard time staying awake in church without the sermons being AI generated.
I think that's right.

Before I go to work on a text, I usually listen to it and read it several times prayerfully, at least some of that in Greek if it's in the New Testament. Then I start brainstorming with GPT, showing different views of what is going on. I might brainstorm one view or another, then ask GPT to provide it. Sometimes it's clearly wrong, sometimes it's not that helpful, sometimes it really is.

Because I am fairly familiar with the text by then, I'm in a better position to evaluate what GPT gives me. If I use GPT to create a bunch of rough drafts, throwing out what I don't like, I can then edit it to get what I want.

I wouldn't just and someone Google search results without editing either.
I am curious, Bootstrap. Do you teach publically to a local assembly of believers? If so, do you make them aware you use GPT as a brainstorming tool?

I'm not sure where I land on the ethics of using GPT for preaching/teaching, but I am certain that if I found out a brother in my church had been using it in any capacity of sermon-prep without making me aware, I would not feel good about that.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:42 am I am curious, Bootstrap. Do you teach publically to a local assembly of believers? If so, do you make them aware you use GPT as a brainstorming tool?

I'm not sure where I land on the ethics of using GPT for preaching/teaching, but I am certain that if I found out a brother in my church had been using it in any capacity of sermon-prep without making me aware, I would not feel good about that.
Yes, I do tell people if I use GPT for something, and how I used it. I also tell people when I use a particular commentary or a Wikipedia article or whatever.

No matter what sources you use, the preacher has to take responsibility for the sermon itself. And it won't be interesting or useful if you just dump GPT at people.
1 x