Do Rhetorical Questions Add Value to Your Content?

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

For some time, I have noticed that rhetorical questions are used constantly in some church content, whether its written articles, bible study guides, sermons, or oral comments and testimonies. I feel like they are really overused.

I liked this article on the topic.

In particular, I liked the bolded paragraph, and it explains why I never liked the children's book we have that has the "Blue's Clues" in it, although I couldn't have said before what it was in particular. Now I know it is the rhetorical questions that make you feel childish. :) And I think that this is one of the bad results of the overuse of rhetorical questions- they make the listener feel childish.

Do rhetorical questions add value to your content? Or are you doubting yourself about them? Do you not feel like the question belongs? Are you writing a piece where the rhetorical question would sound really odd? Are you being repetitious with them to pad out the word count rather than adding information to your piece? Are you coming off as degrading or terse, repeating the same information or obvious information in a new way to make it sound like you’re saying something entirely new?

Or rather, are you trying to be overly conversational in a way that actually is off-putting to a reader? Do you feel like you’re pestering your reader with questions like an interviewer or a car salesman who assumes they know their audience intimately, when they really don’t? Are you trying to be cute and colloquial — and failing?

Have you used several rhetorical questions in the same piece to ill effect?

Am I making my point yet?

As we have mentioned previously, rhetorical questions can be really, really annoying.

Here’s a reminder: A rhetorical question is a question that is not intended to elicit a response and usually only has one possible answer or implies its own answer. In writing, the majority of questions asked are rhetorical; they are meant to lead to the answer, which the writer later relates. Often confused with nonsensical questions, rhetorical questions are most often used to illustrate a point and are used as a part of a larger argument in writing. Think of it this way: They’re not real questions but rather statements given in a question form. And their use has become clichéd due to overuse and ineffective use.

So rhetorical questions in general are bad, right? (I did it again.)

Well, not necessarily.

Some writers can and have used this technique to great effect. To say that rhetorical questions are all bad is like saying hammers are all bad. Sure, when you bludgeon someone over the head with it, a rhetorical question can be really, really bad. But otherwise, it’s just another tool for your writing toolbox. It can even be a necessity in some situations where any other type of sentence just wouldn’t do what you want. It’s hard to hammer a nail when you’re unnecessarily limiting yourself to screwdrivers and large rocks.

When should you use a rhetorical question rather than a sentence?

See how natural that feels? If I had to squeeze that into the format of a sentence, that would be really strange. “So sometimes, you should use a question rather than a sentence.” That doesn’t have quite the same punch.

A question is meant to pull in attention and make your reader wonder. Doing that is meant to jolt their minds. Doing that too much can backfire horribly: You’ll either make them bored (especially if you’re using a question to pad the word count or recycle information) or you’ll make them annoyed. The annoyance comes from the fact that you’re asking a reader to think but with no payoff, because you’ll end up explaining the answer anyway. They also can be patronizing; rhetorical questions are used to capture the attention of students. It’s the Socratic method. In the wrong scenario, it makes the reader unconsciously feel childish — think Blue’s Clues.

There are no real hard-and-fast rules regarding when and where using a rhetorical question is entirely correct or appropriate. But, it’s rather clear upon reading a piece when it’s not. It will interrupt a thought, distract or off-put a reader, and, if used abundantly, cause irritation. In an academic setting, they’re especially frowned upon. But in a public speech or a TED talk, for instance, they’re very often used to call attention and point out main discussion points.

Many people can and have made the argument that rhetoric as a whole is used more often in informal writing and speech. In informal settings, such as a blog post (like this one), a speech, an article directed toward children, or a work of fiction, they tend to be used more often. It seems, then, that the use of a rhetorical question mostly depends on your tone and your audience.

But it also depends on the writer and their comfort level with using them. Will you use rhetorical questions in your writing? It’s up to you!
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Do Rhetorical Questions Add Value to Your Content?

Post by Bootstrap »

Has nobody responded to your post?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:32 pm Has nobody responded to your post?
Just like you isn’t it?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:38 pm
Just like you isn’t it?
Who are you to say?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:40 pm
Just like you isn’t it?
Who are you to say?
Can you imagine my disappointment had the replies to this post not been in question form?
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

mike wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:45 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:40 pm

Just like you isn’t it?
Who are you to say?
Can you imagine my disappointment had the replies to this post not been in question form?
No ? :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:45 pm
:rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

I generally like good questions, but a question that is constructed to have only one answer is intended to reduce thought, not increase it as a good question should.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

deer.jpg
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Paul uses them fairly commonly in his letters. These questions are not always answered, but when he does, it is with great emphasis. As in the "May it not never be" passages, with the Greek double negative (rendered in the KJV as "God forbid"). That is part of the answer - this vehemence with which he responses. So it that sense, if the writer or speaker answers their own rhetorical question, the answer should provide more information than might be normally expected, more than just the expected yes or no.

In our translation work, however, we never translated that way, because Banawa doesn't have rhetorical questions. They find other ways of giving a question that strongly suggests a certain answer. That's how I understand questions that might be translated as "Could it be that ...?" I don't think questions like that in English really suggest an answer, but they use this type of construction for really obvious things like "Did you take a bath?" when they meet you on the trail coming up from the creek, with wet hair, wet clothes, and soap in hand. (Or, it's just an acknowledgement of having met you on the trail. It is, by the way, rude to not speak to someone you meet like that, unless of course it is an unrelated person of the opposite sex. In that case the polite thing to do is to step off of the trail, and look the other way.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.