The Apocrypha

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Re: The Apocrypha

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Delete
Last edited by Falco Knotwise on Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:52 pm
For the reasons I clearly laid out, I’m not even sure what he said about it. Nor is it my job to figure it out. It’s for the theologians.
I would not bother about it. As these are without a reference link from the Vatican archives and as the topic does not address the Deposit of the Faith, it is not binding in the present day. The present day is all that matters now in how the Catholic Church addresses matters of faith.
mike wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:55 am Anabaptists use the Luther Bible, which contains the Apocrypha as intertestamental books; Amish wedding ceremonies include "the retelling of the marriage of Tobias and Sarah in the Apocrypha"..
Hutterian colonies also use Bibles containing the Deuterocanonical books. Some have the KJV translation, some the ESV, and others the Lutheran.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:38 pm So was the Pope correct when he said that the statement "that burning heretics is against the will of the Spirit" is heretical, false, scandalous, or offensive to pious ears?
Not in my opinion. Now do you have anything intelligent left to say, because your juvenile gotcha games are really getting old.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

For the reasons I clearly laid out, I’m not even sure what he said about it. Nor is it my job to figure it out. It’s for the theologians.
"There is no man so blind as he who will not see."
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:19 pm
I see just fine, thanks. Now do you have anything intelligent left to say because your juvenile gotcha games are getting old?
Last edited by Falco Knotwise on Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:26 pm
I see fine.
Good. I'm glad you understand now that the sale of indulgences wasn't something that Luther imagined of his own accord. And that the RCC's attempt to burn him was wrong.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I see just fine, thanks. Now do you have anything intelligent left to say because your juvenile gotcha games are getting old?
Repetitive as well. As there are no links cited for the original documents in the Vatican archives, this can only be considered hearsay no matter how many times it is repeated. Focusing upon present day teachings and actions avoids the burden of becoming embittered about the past.

Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

Hebrews 12:15
See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:28 pm
I see fine.
Good. I'm glad you understand now that the sale of indulgences wasn't something that Luther imagined of his own accord. And that the RCC's attempt to burn him was wrong.
It got blown WAY out of proportion as even many Protestant scholars admit today, and I don’t think anyone should have gotten burned, nor have I ever said otherwise.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Falco, do you condemn these words as false?
28. If the pope with a great part of the Church thought so and so, he would not err; still it is not a sin or heresy to think the contrary, especially in a matter not necessary for salvation, until one alternative is condemned and another approved by a general Council.

29. A way has beeri made for us for weakening the authority of councils, and for freely contradicting their actions, and judging their decrees, and boldly confessing whatever seems true, whether it has been approved or disapproved by any council whatsoever.

30. Some articles of John Hus, condemned in the Council of Constance, are most Christian, wholly true and evangelical; these the universal Church could not condemn.

31. In every good work the just man sins.

32. A good work done very well is a venial sin.

33. That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit.

34. To go to war against the Turks is to resist God who punishes our iniquities through them.

35. No one is certain that he is not always sinning mortally, because of the most hidden vice of pride.

36. Free will after sin is a matter of title only; and as long as one does what is in him, one sins mortally.

37. Purgatory cannot be proved from Sacred Scripture which is in the canon.

38. The souls in purgatory are not sure of their salvation, at least not all; nor is it proved by any arguments or by the Scriptures that they are beyond the state of meriting or of increasing in charity.

39. The souls in purgatory sin without intermission, as long as they seek rest and abhor punishment.

40. The souls freed from purgatory by the suffrages of the living are less happy than if they had made satisfactions by themselves.

41. Ecclesiastical prelates and secular princes would not act badly if they destroyed all of the money bags of beggary.

No one of sound mind is ignorant how destructive, pernicious, scandalous, and seductive to pious and simple minds these various errors are, how opposed they are to all charity and reverence for the holy Roman Church who is the mother of all the faithful and teacher of the faith; how destructive they are of the vigor of ecclesiastical discipline, namely obedience. This virtue is the font and origin of all virtues and without it anyone is readily convicted of being unfaithful.
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f ... omine.html

If this edict exists on the Vatican, its well hidden and in my eyes, for good reason. Anyone faced with the Pope saying that burning heretics isn't against the Holy spirit...

Apparently, not burning heretics is a destructive, pernicious, scandalous and seductive to the pious. Its obvious he wasn't one of those weak pious Christians.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:03 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:28 pm

I see fine.
It got blown WAY out of proportion as even many Protestant scholars admit today, and I don’t think anyone should have gotten burned, nor have I ever said otherwise.
Indeed. Nevertheless, Christians best do well to live their discipleship in the present; forgive the past; and carry the Gospel into the future.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)