The Apocrypha

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Apocrypha

Post by Bootstrap »

If you follow the link in the last post, I think this is how that document on ecumenism views us: separated brethren, deficient, but still a means of salvation to some. Not part of the one true church.
It follows that the separated Churches(23) and Communities as such, though we believe them to be deficient in some respects, have been by no means deprived of significance and importance in the mystery of salvation. For the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as means of salvation which derive their efficacy from the very fullness of grace and truth entrusted to the Church.

Nevertheless, our separated brethren, whether considered as individuals or as Communities and Churches, are not blessed with that unity which Jesus Christ wished to bestow on all those who through Him were born again into one body, and with Him quickened to newness of life-that unity which the Holy Scriptures and the ancient Tradition of the Church proclaim. For it is only through Christ's Catholic Church, which is "the all-embracing means of salvation," that they can benefit fully from the means of salvation. We believe that Our Lord entrusted all the blessings of the New Covenant to the apostolic college alone, of which Peter is the head, in order to establish the one Body of Christ on earth to which all should be fully incorporated who belong in any way to the people of God. This people of God, though still in its members liable to sin, is ever growing in Christ during its pilgrimage on earth, and is guided by God's gentle wisdom, according to His hidden designs, until it shall happily arrive at the fullness of eternal glory in the heavenly Jerusalem.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:40 am If they’re in need of cybersecurity services, I’m currently accepting new clients.
Can you offer them a discount? :lol: Their bank account has still not recovered from the pandemic. I am sure they certainly could use your advice about firewalls and perhaps setting up some kind of paywall.
ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:58 pm
Thank you, Max, this is helpful.
So you've placed us at the third degree. I suspect we are more heretical than that (or maybe there are not as many clearly defined doctrines as I think there are), but a charitable classification is welcome.
I am glad you found this helpful. The article itself dates to 1908. The readings are a bit easier than the source documents. The only readings considered reliable sources are those stamped with the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur and the Catholic Encyclopedia includes that information.

It would have been nice for you to be able to read the decisions leading up to propositio theologice erronea to see how the RCC arrived at this conclusion that the Anabaptists are not heretics. It was essentially a century ago plus/minus that the Magisterium parsed out the finer degrees of that which is considered heretical and that which does not affect a shared belief in the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ as the Son of God. As with anything connected to the Magisterium and Rome, the decisions move slowly and carefully.

One of the efforts that contributed to this parsing was the delineation of the variables vs the non-negotiables of belief that arose out of the First Vatican Council (convoked in 1868 if I recall correctly), i.e. The Deposit of the Faith vis a vis variances of devotions. As I have noted before, the Magisterium could shave a flea when it comes to their ability to parse matters.

Right, long day and supper will be shortly. Then I will snuggle in with my wife and my cat and start snoring.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:36 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:40 am If they’re in need of cybersecurity services, I’m currently accepting new clients.
Can you offer them a discount? :lol: Their bank account has still not recovered from the pandemic.
Yes we regularly do discounts for nonprofit, educational, etc. although so far we haven’t done business with a sovereign state.
I am sure they certainly could use your advice about firewalls and perhaps setting up some kind of paywall.
ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:58 pm
Thank you, Max, this is helpful.
So you've placed us at the third degree. I suspect we are more heretical than that (or maybe there are not as many clearly defined doctrines as I think there are), but a charitable classification is welcome.
I am glad you found this helpful. The article itself dates to 1908. The readings are a bit easier than the source documents. The only readings considered reliable sources are those stamped with the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur and the Catholic Encyclopedia includes that information.

It would have been nice for you to be able to read the decisions leading up to propositio theologice erronea to see how the RCC arrived at this conclusion that the Anabaptists are not heretics. It was essentially a century ago plus/minus that the Magisterium parsed out the finer degrees of that which is considered heretical and that which does not affect a shared belief in the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ as the Son of God. As with anything connected to the Magisterium and Rome, the decisions move slowly and carefully.

One of the efforts that contributed to this parsing was the delineation of the variables vs the non-negotiables of belief that arose out of the First Vatican Council (convoked in 1868 if I recall correctly), i.e. The Deposit of the Faith vis a vis variances of devotions. As I have noted before, the Magisterium could shave a flea when it comes to their ability to parse matters.

Right, long day and supper will be shortly. Then I will snuggle in with my wife and my cat and start snoring.
1 x