The Mark of the Beast in Revelation

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

The Mark of the Beast in Revelation

Post by Bootstrap »

We have several threads that speculate on the Mark of the Beast, and we keep getting new ones.

In this thread, I would like to focus on this: according to the Bible, what are the things that tell us if something might be the Mark of the Beast? I think we can use these criteria to decide if the latest rumor is plausible. If I say that MIckey Mouse ears are the Mark of the Beast, is that likely to be true or not?

Here's the description from Revelation 13:16-18:
He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.
It doesn't tell us the exact form and nature of the mark of the beast, and there have been many interpretations. But I think we do know that the Mark of the Beast will involve:
  • Identifying with the Beast: The mark identifies people who belong to or pledge allegiance to the beast or the Antichrist. It is a sign of loyalty to the evil powers at work during the end times. To get the mark, you actively agree to submit to the beast. The mark of the beast is ultimately a spiritual and symbolic representation of allegiance to evil forces in opposition to God. It represents a rejection of God's authority and an acceptance of a counterfeit power.
  • Control and authority: The mark allows the beast to exert control and authority over people, requiring them to submit to the power of the beast and his oppressive system.
  • Participating in the economy: The mark is required in order to buy or sell. Without the mark, they can't do that.
  • Persecution: Without the mark, people will be persecuted. Refusing the mark has severe consequences.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: The Mark of the Beast in Revelation

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:24 am We have several threads that speculate on the Mark of the Beast, and we keep getting new ones.

In this thread, I would like to focus on this: according to the Bible, what are the things that tell us if something might be the Mark of the Beast? I think we can use these criteria to decide if the latest rumor is plausible. If I say that MIckey Mouse ears are the Mark of the Beast, is that likely to be true or not?

He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.
It doesn't tell us the exact form and nature of the mark of the beast, and there have been many interpretations. But I think we do know that the Mark of the Beast will involve:
  • Identifying with the Beast: The mark identifies people who belong to or pledge allegiance to the beast or the Antichrist. It is a sign of loyalty to the evil powers at work during the end times. To get the mark, you actively agree to submit to the beast. The mark of the beast is ultimately a spiritual and symbolic representation of allegiance to evil forces in opposition to God. It represents a rejection of God's authority and an acceptance of a counterfeit power.
  • Control and authority: The mark allows the beast to exert control and authority over people, requiring them to submit to the power of the beast and his oppressive system.
  • Participating in the economy: The mark is required in order to buy or sell. Without the mark, they can't do that.
  • Persecution: Without the mark, people will be persecuted. Refusing the mark has severe consequences.
It also specifically says that the mark of the beast will be on the right hand or forehead. So anything that is not an actual mark on the right hand or forehead does not meet the definition in Revelations.

If the Apostle John had meant this verse to be taken more generally then he would not have been so specific. Words either have meaning or they don't. And if we are just going to take the whole passage as metaphor then it really doesn't mean anything at all.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:52 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:24 am We have several threads that speculate on the Mark of the Beast, and we keep getting new ones.

It also specifically says that the mark of the beast will be on the right hand or forehead. So anything that is not an actual mark on the right hand or forehead does not meet the definition in Revelations.

If the Apostle John had meant this verse to be taken more generally then he would not have been so specific. Words either have meaning or they don't. And if we are just going to take the whole passage as metaphor then it really doesn't mean anything at all.
:mrgreen:
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

What if… Jesus meant what He said :shock:
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:01 pm What if… Jesus meant what He said :shock:
Husband grew up Catholic, left for Calvary Chapel movement in early 20s. Calvary was dispensationalist regarding eschatology. So he wondered why what he was learning at Calvary was not taught in the Catholic church. 40 years later we understood. I was from Calvary type churches too. We were taught a literal mark as stated in Scripture.

About 20 years ago at our Foursquare Gospel Church, an elder was giving a course on End Times. For the first time we heard the theory that the mark on the hand & forehead were not literal but representing though (forehead) & i can't remember the hand symbolism. At any rate, he taught we would not be looking for a mark to be put on our hand and forehead. Besides they believed in preacher rapture so this would be people after the rapture that would be put to this requirement of following the antichrist. My husband and I were not comfortable with this teaching it is hard for me to see it in the other way but literal. Scripture does the Mark will be on the hand OR the forehead so like Ken it looks to me pretty specific that it's an actual mark or why would there be a choice of head or hand?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Also note that the the mark is "the name of the beast or the number of his name", "it is the number of a man, and his number is 666".

So if Fred has the mark on his forehead, the number is 666, not Fred's social security number. If Mary has the mark on her forehead, the number is still 666, not the number of some identity card she has.

Infant baptism does not result in a mark on the right hand or forehead.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I remember someone back in the 1980s explaining it meant 3 sets of 6 digits, and 3+6 is 9, so that’s the length of a social security number.

Another person said 3 sets of 6 is 18 digits, which is the length of digits of your Amex card (15) plus expiration (one digit month plus 2 digit year).

Solution: make sure your Amex card expires after September?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:51 am
Soloist wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:01 pm What if… Jesus meant what He said :shock:
Husband grew up Catholic, left for Calvary Chapel movement in early 20s. Calvary was dispensationalist regarding eschatology. So he wondered why what he was learning at Calvary was not taught in the Catholic church. 40 years later we understood. I was from Calvary type churches too. We were taught a literal mark as stated in Scripture.

About 20 years ago at our Foursquare Gospel Church, an elder was giving a course on End Times. For the first time we heard the theory that the mark on the hand & forehead were not literal but representing though (forehead) & i can't remember the hand symbolism. At any rate, he taught we would not be looking for a mark to be put on our hand and forehead. Besides they believed in preacher rapture so this would be people after the rapture that would be put to this requirement of following the antichrist. My husband and I were not comfortable with this teaching it is hard for me to see it in the other way but literal. Scripture does the Mark will be on the hand OR the forehead so like Ken it looks to me pretty specific that it's an actual mark or why would there be a choice of head or hand?
I have no idea what "preacher rapture" is but it sounds like a teaching I would probably not be comfortable with either.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Is there anything pertinent about the word ποιέω ?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:31 am Is there anything pertinent about the word ποιέω ?
It's a very generic word for "do". English translations look at "do signs" and tend to translate "perform signs" or such. It's in the present active, implying that these signs are performed over time, not just once.

Whatever the mark of the beast is, it is the identity of someone who performs signs and wonders.
0 x