Fantastic and Interesting Words

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Fantastic and Interesting Words

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:00 pm Ambrosial

adjective
exceptionally pleasing to taste or smell; especially delicious or fragrant.
worthy of the gods; divine.

Somebody used this word to describe a meal my wife made the other day. I had to look it up.
One of my great-great-great grandfathers was named Ambrose. I suppose that was based on smell rather than taste.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:53 pm 1. If "Holy Toledo" is a thing, holy Sacramento is much more appropriate. Especially given the California State Railroad Museum and the adjacent old town area and waterfront.
While the California State Railroad Museum is indeed holy ground, I am trying to keep my religious views out of the classroom.
2. Sacramento (as an improper noun) sounds like it's Spanglish for "sacrament" anyway. Adding an "o" to many English words translates them to Spanish, correcto?
Yeah, I'm going to insist that they stick to English. I ran into that with viv/vida. If they want Spanish, they can go to Ms. Pena next door.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Szdfan wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:52 pm
Robert wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:53 am Sanctimony
Pretend or hypocritical religious devotion or righteousness. Someone who is sanctimonious will preach about the evils of drug use whilst drinking a beer, for example. Associated with a holier-than-thou attitude.

E.g. There was an air of sanctimony in the way he detailed his charity work.
One of the morphemes this semester was "Sacro/Sacra," which means "holy" and shows up in words like sacrament or sacrilege. Some of my students used "Sacramento," which I didn't accept because it's a proper noun.
It seems a good idea to treat of the morphemes. Sacro/a is a Latin derivative. Due to the Roman Empire, Latin influenced a number of native languages. I recall that there are at least 5 Romance languages, so named because their modern lexicon is largely comprised of words that closely relate to Latin.
Romanian
Italian
French
Spanish
Portuguese
I have not stayed abreast of linguistics but I seem to recall that there is or was a push to call these five “Neo-Latin”.

Liturgical Latin (used in churches) is partially derived from “kitchen Latin”, the informal Latin used by servants and those in lower socio-economic brackets as they were the first to convert to Christianity.

Thus endeth today’s tutorial. :lol: :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

1) Kayfabe
2) In professional wrestling, the suspension of disbelief that matches and dramatic relationships between wrestlers are real and not fake.
3) "How Wrestling Explains Alex Jones and Donald Trump." by Nick Rogers.
4) The etymology is unclear, but irs believed that the term has been around for about 50 years.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:45 amKayfabe
Keyfob?

Isn't that what you start a car with now?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

2. Joe Biden is a Manchurian-candidate.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:32 am
Szdfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:45 amKayfabe
Keyfob?

Isn't that what you start a car with now?
Until this morning, I had never heard of this term before. It's specific to professional wrestling, but I think it describes something that's going on in society.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:35 am Image

2. Joe Biden is a Manchurian-candidate.
The term "Manchurian Candidate" comes from the title of the 1959 novel and 1962 film in which captured US soldiers in the Korean War are brainwashed by the Soviet Union to unwittingly serve as sleeper agents, culminating in an assassination plot to kill a presidential candidate.

It's a political term often used to suggest that a politician is treasonous and a puppet of a foreign power, whether intentionally or unintentionally.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Szdfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:45 am 1) Kayfabe
2) In professional wrestling, the suspension of disbelief that matches and dramatic relationships between wrestlers are real and not fake.
4) The etymology is unclear, but irs believed that the term has been around for about 50 years.
I’ve never in my life heard that word before and now I’ve seen it explained 3 times in 2 weeks (you’re the 3rd). What’s going on?
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:29 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:45 am 1) Kayfabe
I’ve never in my life heard that word before and now I’ve seen it explained 3 times in 2 weeks (you’re the 3rd). What’s going on?
I guess the universe wants you to know this word...
0 x