Inspired by an "Anabaptist World" article ...

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Inspired by an "Anabaptist World" article ...

Post by PetrChelcicky »

The article is here: https://anabaptistworld.org/inspired-by ... ard-peace/

"Anabaptist World" is quite enthused by the Ethiopean example, but is not eager to explain why it is successful. The Ethiopean's trick seems to be that he starts with peace and allows people to hope that justice will follow.
Whereas the common idea in the United States is that justice should be the premise and peace the consequence ("no justice - no peace").

It would be nice to see that the American readers of "Anabaptist World" emulate the Ethiopean model and apply it to their domestic "rebel fighters". But they would have to drop the favorite common view, so I don't expect to see anything such in my lifetime.
1 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Re: Inspired by an "Anabaptist World" article ...

Post by danfreed »

Fascinating story!
Thanks for sharing.

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God." (Matthew 5:9 NIV)
0 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

danfreed wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:39 pm Fascinating story!
Thanks for sharing.

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God." (Matthew 5:9 NIV)
The Ethiopean's trick seems to be that he starts with peace and allows people to hope that justice will follow.
On MD, this approach was not uncommon.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I don't understand why Belena wanted a gun with bullets...
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Ernie wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:19 pm I don't understand why Belena wanted a gun with bullets...
I suppose that he felt he needed to be seen as a true or "authentic" member of the rebels (not a kind of missionary).
Would you call this dishonest or "a white lie"? Myself I would not dare to emulate this - my abilities to "play a part" or to "pose as ..." are not that big.
On the other hand, my pet idea is that every violent group should have at least one non-violent companion at its side, who supports the group members: protects, heals, advovcates for them, visits the emprisoned members, buries the deads etc. And in next step, the companions of opposing groups meet each other regularly.
0 x