The Benedict Option .. (Hoax?)

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Benedict Option .. (Hoax?)

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Josh wrote:I wonder if Dreher ever bothered to visit a conservative Mennonite church or a Hutterite colony.
I have yet to read the book, but I think a worldview that wants to create a "Ben Op" for Protestants and Catholics and Orthodox is far, far removed from the worldview that makes the "Hutter Op" the only option for Hutterites.
He did visit Bruderhof, which is interesting - Hutterite colony ministers and managers don't own private jets, which seem at odds with a Benedictine order.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Could you share those communiques? They will be fascinating reading supplements to the book.
Private letters and phone conversations aren't really public domain though. I've shared the gist of our perceptions and what we've said. I'll leave it to Dreher to write his own memoir.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

If there's one thing Dreher has written plenty of, it's memoirs.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

MaxPC wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: Could you share those communiques? They will be fascinating reading supplements to the book.
Private letters and phone conversations aren't really public domain though. I've shared the gist of our perceptions and what we've said. I'll leave it to Dreher to write his own memoir.
But you already shared some of it.
In his communiques with Plain Catholics he told us what I shared with you.
I've considered writing to him again about the Bruderhof Communities. I will ask him about his connection to "Plain Catholics".
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
But you already shared some of it.
In his communiques with Plain Catholics he told us what I shared with you.
I've considered writing to him again about the Bruderhof Communities. I will ask him about his connection to "Plain Catholics".
Good idea. He never visited us like the Bruderhof. Perhaps he'll remember enough to share his personal story.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Here's the website of the Brothers and Sisters of Charity I mentioned earlier. They refer to themselves as an integrated monastic expression with members who are celibate (monastic) and members who are married (domestic). They're located in Arkansas. When people contact the Plain Catholics looking for a Catholic community, we generally send them to this community or to a monastic only community, depending upon their marital status. As far as I'm aware, this is the only Catholic community that accepts marrieds and that also has a Rule for living (like an Ordnung.)
http://littleportion.org
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

MaxPC wrote:Perhaps his goals for the book changed since his contact with us.
They obviously must have.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Josh

Post by Josh »

What year was Dreher's contact with you?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote:Here's the website of the Brothers and Sisters of Charity I mentioned earlier. They refer to themselves as an integrated monastic expression with members who are celibate (monastic) and members who are married (domestic). They're located in Arkansas. When people contact the Plain Catholics looking for a Catholic community, we generally send them to this community or to a monastic only community, depending upon their marital status. As far as I'm aware, this is the only Catholic community that accepts marrieds and that also has a Rule for living (like an Ordnung.)
Why don't you introduce them into your community?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Here's the website of the Brothers and Sisters of Charity I mentioned earlier. They refer to themselves as an integrated monastic expression with members who are celibate (monastic) and members who are married (domestic). They're located in Arkansas. When people contact the Plain Catholics looking for a Catholic community, we generally send them to this community or to a monastic only community, depending upon their marital status. As far as I'm aware, this is the only Catholic community that accepts marrieds and that also has a Rule for living (like an Ordnung.)
Why don't you introduce them into your community?

J.M.
Plain Catholics don't live together in community. :D Some families might live near each other (usually parents, children, grandchildren.) But we don't live in a community with other Plain Catholic families. We live where the Lord plants us. We've got a family in New Zealand, a couple families in Canada, another in Tasmania, several in the USA and several other countries.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)