The Benedict Option .. (Hoax?)

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Benedict Option .. (Hoax?)

Post by Josh »

In every conservative Mennonite church I've been in, I have always welcomed people to become part of our "community". Even though we don't all live next door and share all things in common, there is always someone who has room for someone to move in and stay a while. One of my friends moved to where I live and rented an apartment from another person at church, and ended up becoming part of the church. (It helps his apartment is less than a mile from the church house.) Likewise, in another church I was blessed to be part of for a while, we had a community person who was interested in our church but didn't have any Christian background. When she needed a place to live, she lived in our shared house for the single people. (Last I heard she still lives there.)
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

PeterG wrote: Dreher has written at length about his conversion to Orthodoxy, and since then, according to everything that I've seen, he has explicitly and consistently identified himself as Orthodox. Either he is not Catholic, and you are wrong, or he is both Catholic and a serial liar.[/b]
Another option is that the Orthodox church can be considered Catholic. From Wikipedia,
The Eastern Orthodox Church, also known as the Orthodox Church, or officially as the Orthodox Catholic Church, is the second largest Christian church and one of the oldest extant religious institutions in the world.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Id poked into this book at the request of someone I know. I find it to be grossly hyperpoliticized (expected from EO, Dreher), incompatible with his "audience", and, frankly, delusional.
It makes for an interesting read and conversation, but I don't think it's worth my time.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Id poked into this book at the request of someone I know. I find it to be grossly hyperpoliticized (expected from EO, Dreher), incompatible with his "audience", and, frankly, delusional.
It makes for an interesting read and conversation, but I don't think it's worth my time.
It's apparently one of those tomes that elicits a polar reaction, instead of a yawn. At least it has people thinking and discerning instead of watching tv. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:At least it has people thinking and discerning instead of watching tv. :mrgreen:
I'd rather folks watch tv than be enamored by anti-christ messages. Not saying the Benedict Option is anti-christ... just saying.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:At least it has people thinking and discerning instead of watching tv. :mrgreen:
I'd rather folks watch tv than be enamored by anti-christ messages. Not saying the Benedict Option is anti-christ... just saying.
Haven't you heard? Tv IS the Anti-Christ :mrgreen: :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:Haven't you heard? Tv IS the Anti-Christ :mrgreen: :lol:
I believe the vast majority of it is- do you not?
But it's no wolf in sheep's clothing, as far as I'm concerned. It's blatantly, openly wrong. It makes no attempt to masquerade as true Christian faith. I'm most concerned by those within the church- false shepherds who preach a different faith than the one set forth by the Word.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Haven't you heard? Tv IS the Anti-Christ :mrgreen: :lol:
I believe the vast majority of it is- do you not?
But it's no wolf in sheep's clothing, as far as I'm concerned. It's blatantly, openly wrong. It makes no attempt to masquerade as true Christian faith. I'm most concerned by those within the church- false shepherds who preach a different faith than the one set forth by the Word.
The most important thing to remember is that all temptations are equal if they lead into sin, according to the writings of Paul. Books written by non-pastors and teachers; and tv shows can be tools of the anti-Christ equally.

The author of this book is not a pastor and makes a proposal. That's entirely different from a man who teaches his own ideas as God's law and on equal par with Scriptures.

Temptations and sin comes in many forms. If anything or anyone tempts you to sin, set them/it aside and walk away.
[bible]Philippians 4,4-8[/bible]
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Max,
I think you misunderstood me. That's fine- I likely failed at communicating what I was trying to. Never mind it all.. I've gotten things too off topic.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Max,
I think you misunderstood me. That's fine- I likely failed at communicating what I was trying to. Never mind it all.. I've gotten things too off topic.
No worries :hug:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)