The Benedict Option .. (Hoax?)

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: The Benedict Option .. (Hoax?)

Post by Ernie »

I bought a copy of this book. I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. Not as a sanction of what is written therein but as an educational resource. There is a lot of good information and thought provoking ideas in the book!
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dreher moved to his home town in the country after writing that book but moved back to the city not much later.

I guess he didn't want to take the Benedict Option himself.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:I bought a copy of this book. I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. Not as a sanction of what is written therein but as an educational resource. There is a lot of good information and thought provoking ideas in the book!
I agree, he has revived a number of good concepts.

Of course the Bible is the ultimate source.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ken Miller wrote several pieces recently inspired by the book, which I have not read.

http://millercase.org/home/updates/123- ... ption.html

http://millercase.org/home/updates/124- ... nuted.html

He seems mildly critical of book, saying perhaps we should go back further than Benedict to the Sermon the Mount for example.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote:Ken Miller wrote several pieces recently inspired by the book, which I have not read.

He seems mildly critical of book, saying perhaps we should go back further than Benedict to the Sermon the Mount for example.
To me that seems realistic rather than mildly critical.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I really disagree with the idea Christians should cloister themselves in villages to avoid the world.

If that's the right thing to do, we need to all become Amish or Hutterites.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:I really disagree with the idea Christians should cloister themselves in villages to avoid the world.
i think it's ok for you to think like this. i also believe the world benefits from from those who choose to "cloister" themselves, too. the world would not be a better place without these various folks. (my opinion.)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote:
mike wrote:Ken Miller wrote several pieces recently inspired by the book, which I have not read.

To me that seems realistic rather than mildly critical.
I agree. As with any proposal of a concept, Dreher's proposal has many details that haven't been sorted out. Like any concept, it will develop over time. This one will also require a number of like-minded individuals to join in with the formation of such a group. It's been tried before. Some flourish. Some don't.

God gave us the Free Will to discern and to choose the kind of authentic Biblical discipleship we are called to live. Different groups provide different means for living out the authentic discipleship call, be it in Hutterian community or independent fellowships of Mennonites, Brethren, etc. John 14:2 reminds me of that diversity within Biblical discipleship. Not all were Peter, nor John, nor even Paul. Yet they all helped to shaped the Christian world we live in today. Even if we aren't called to Hutterian community or rural living, we can open our minds and hearts to recognizing that there are those who have discerned this is their call.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

Josh wrote:I really disagree with the idea Christians should cloister themselves in villages to avoid the world.

There is also the Church as Abbey concept that provides some fascinating food for thought.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Peregrino wrote: There is also the Church as Abbey concept that provides some fascinating food for thought.
Fascinating :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)