Books on Biblical Nonresistance

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Books on Biblical Nonresistance

Post by joshuabgood »

Brian Zahnd A farewell to Mars, how an evangelical preacher found the gospel of peace
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Also probably the Quakers, Adventists have some good works.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Here's what's in my library that I cataloged with the subject of pacifism.
1 Macgregor, G. H The New Testament basis of pacifism
2 Drescher, John Why I am a conscientious objector
3 Shubin, Daniel The conflict of ages.: a treatise on the dichotomy between military service and the Kingdom of God
4 ClGement, Cathe Gandhi, the power of pacifism
5 McCarthy, Colma All of one peace: essays on nonviolence
6 Keeney, William Lordship as servanthood: thirteen lessons on the biblical basis for peacemaking
7 Fellowship of Reconciliation The Christian and war: a theological discussion on justice, peace, and love
8 Sider, Ronald J Completely pro-life: building a consistent stance
9 Brown, Dale W Biblical pacifism: second edition
10 Wink, Walter Jesus and nonviolence: a third way
11 Yoder, John How Nevertheless: the varieties and shortcomings of religious pacifism

13 Yoder, John How What would you do?: a serious answer to a standard question
14 Yoder, John How The politics of Jesus

16 Hershberger, Guy War, peace, and nonresistance
I think I've read them all, but it's been a long time; I can't really give recommendations.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:19 pm Also probably the Quakers, Adventists have some good works.
Having been raised on far too many Quaker writers and one of my relatives having far too many Adventist books, I haven’t ended up making room for them on my bookshelf. I have found their perspective to be too alien to be helpful.
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 am
joshuabgood wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:19 pm Also probably the Quakers, Adventists have some good works.
Having been raised on far too many Quaker writers and one of my relatives having far too many Adventist books, I haven’t ended up making room for them on my bookshelf. I have found their perspective to be too alien to be helpful.
Interesting. I am not familiar with their work but I have been inspired by how the Quakers lived out their position in the Civil War and how of course the WWII Adventist hero.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:49 am
Josh wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 am
Interesting. I am not familiar with their work but I have been inspired by how the Quakers lived out their position in the Civil War and how of course the WWII Adventist hero.
My point of departure is the weakness of their spirituality and faith; for a point of reference, most of my ancestors in my mom’s side were English or Scots Quakers, having converted in either England, Ireland, or William Penn’s colony. Some were preachers.

The culture and church did not lend itself to being multigenerational or passing the faith down, so my grandpa and grandma were eager WWII supporters and my uncle went to the Navy. I still live in a Friends-dominated area, but the pacifist Evangelical Friend is the odd man out these days. It’s just another “God and country” evangelical group whose leadership is slowly slipping more and more liberal.

Some sets of cousins came over from England to Pennsylvania, and the ones on my side became Quakers; another one of the cousins became Mennonites and have many descendants in plain churches now (you may know them as “Overholt”s). It is truly tragic in the sense that Quakers invented the concept of being plain, but Anabaptists are now the ones who practice it.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Along with any book suggestions, I would be interested in any sermon links or (even better) sermon outlines on the subject of Biblical nonresistance which you have either used or listened to, and found coherent/compelling. I will probably be preaching on said topic at some point in the next month or two in our home congregation, with a particular focus on relevance/application for the 21st century for our youth. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
0 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

Greetings Heir,

What a book list! I only have a handful of your titles.

For the new Christian interested in the subject, who has time to read only 3 books, I would suggest:
1. A Change of Allegiance by Dean Taylor
(modern example of American Christian military couple who engaged Jesus teaching in their lives)
2. Coals of Fire by Elizabeth Hershberger Bauman
(classic collection of stories from various countries and time periods)
3. Overcoming Evil God's Way by Stephen Russell
(Great overview of Scripture and history)

Regarding a sermon outline, here is my suggestion based on Jesus words from Matthew 5:43-48.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
But I say to you, love your enemies,
bless those who curse you,
do good to those who hate you,
and pray for those
who spitefully use you and persecute you,

that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

Possible title/subpoints:
"Practical ways to love your enemy"
1. Words "Bless those"
2. Actions "Do good to those"
3. Prayer "Pray for those"

Overcoming evil God's way is not passive, but active, using His kingdom methods (prayer, words and deeds).
Blessings and prayer as you prepare and deliver this message of Jesus.
1 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

On a semi-connected note for anybody who might be interested: our particular Brethren church conference (and others similar) holds meetings on the subject of Biblical Nonresistance every year or two. This year's 2 day series of meetings happened to coincide with some of my current study. I include the links below for anybody who might be interested or perhaps has a good bit of down time or road time and would like something to listen to and chew on. There are several sessions.

2003 Nonresistance Teaching Meetings
Old German Baptist Brethren - New Conference
February 4-5, 2023 - held near Dayton, Ohio

Session 1 - The Need For Nonresistance Still Exists Today (Rod Sprenkel)
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/the-n ... ists-today

Session 2 - The Example of Jesus' Life in Nonresistance (Phil King)
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/the-e ... resistance

Session 3 - Nonresistance: A Mind Transformation (Clint Brubaker)
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/non-r ... sformation

Session 4 - Nonresistance: How Do We Live It Today? (Grant Fullmer)
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/non-r ... e-it-today

Session 5 - Mock Draft Board & Testimonies
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/mock- ... estimonies

Session 6 - Nonresistance Is A Witness To Jesus Christ (Aaron Garber)
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/non-r ... sus-christ

Session 7 - Nonresistant Living In The Home & In The Church (Kirby Crist)
http://www.ogbbc.org/sermons/view/non-r ... and-church
2 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

To be honest, I have read only two books of the list: Yoder (Politics of Jesus) and GF Hershberger (War, Peace ...) But I have read Jacques Ellul, Contre les violents ((have some inclination to translate it into German) and I am not certain if this is a third book, different from the two Ellul books you have named.
0 x