Modern "Christians".

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Modern "Christians".

Post by Outsider »

0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider

Re: Modern "Christians".

Post by Outsider »

I wasn't thinking last night, and forgot that this site doesn't automatically display links to news sites. This is a link to a report which says that a study has found that over 60% of "Christians" in the United States don't believe the Holy Spirit is real! This shocked me, because the Holy Spirit is the core belief of Christianity-

Jude 1:19
these are those setting themselves apart, natural men, the Spirit not having.
1 Corinthians 3:16
have ye not known that ye are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God doth dwell in you?
How can people ignore what is right in their face? It baffles me. I never imagined that someone could call themselves a "Christian" and not believe the Holy Spirit was real! What a sad, sad state of affairs!
1 x

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Outsider wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:07 pm I wasn't thinking last night, and forgot that this site doesn't automatically display links to news sites. This is a link to a report which says that a study has found that over 60% of "Christians" in the United States don't believe the Holy Spirit is real! This shocked me, because the Holy Spirit is the core belief of Christianity-
Reading the comments, some believe the Holy Spirit is real, but not a distinct person, that the Holy Spirit is Jesus, the spirit of Jesus, or the spirit of God. While I think the traditional doctrine of the Trinity* is probably closer to the truth, these explanations do not, in my opinion, disqualify one from being a Christian.

*I confess I don't fully understand the doctrine of the Trinity and suspect others don't either--and maybe the real nature of God is beyond human comprehension.
0 x
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

JimFoxvog wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:21 pm
Outsider wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:07 pm I wasn't thinking last night, and forgot that this site doesn't automatically display links to news sites. This is a link to a report which says that a study has found that over 60% of "Christians" in the United States don't believe the Holy Spirit is real! This shocked me, because the Holy Spirit is the core belief of Christianity-
Reading the comments, some believe the Holy Spirit is real, but not a distinct person, that the Holy Spirit is Jesus, the spirit of Jesus, or the spirit of God. While I think the traditional doctrine of the Trinity* is probably closer to the truth, these explanations do not, in my opinion, disqualify one from being a Christian.

*I confess I don't fully understand the doctrine of the Trinity and suspect others don't either--and maybe the real nature of God is beyond human comprehension.
I agree in not understanding the Trinity- I say I believe in the Father and in the Son (The father in him, and he in the Father), and the Holy Spirit. I mean, Monism defines the Spirit as "God manifesting himself as the Holy Spirit", but it doesn't say the Spirit doesn't exist, or that it's a symbol, any more than it says Jesus is "just a symbol". And I think the confusion of the people they're talking about goes further than just not knowing how to describe the Godhead.

"Another 61% say that all religious faiths are of equal value, and 60% believe that if a person is good enough, or does enough good things, they can earn their way into Heaven. All these positions challenge a biblical worldview."

I'm aware a lot of people have these views, but it just shocked me that they were in the majority among professing "Christians".

:shock:
1 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Every significant denomination in America except Jehovah's Witnesses teaches the Holy Spirit, even the non-trinitarian ones like Oneness Pentecostals. This is clearly a disconnect where practitioners of nominal Christianity don't really know anything about the faith they think they have.
4 x
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

The Church of England is considering changing God's pronouns "to be more inclusive"...

https://www.complex.com/life/church-of- ... od-pronoun
0 x

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Outsider wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 am The Church of England is considering changing God's pronouns "to be more inclusive"...

When I hear that, I wonder who or what they want to include in addition to God!
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

JimFoxvog wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:46 am
Outsider wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 am The Church of England is considering changing God's pronouns "to be more inclusive"...

When I hear that, I wonder who or what they want to include in addition to God!
While living in South Dallas (1982) I occasionally drove up to the north side to attend services in the only Mennonite church in that whole area. It was an "inter-Mennonite group, people from all sorts of Mennonite backgrounds. One Sunday in SS they discussed how "the Holy Spirit is feminine". I think I was only there one time after that, in 84, after my wife & I were married, and we moved there for her to complete her Bible translation training. We visited that church only one time, as I recall.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.