Sexual Immorality in 1 Corinthians 6

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Sexual Immorality in 1 Corinthians 6

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:57 pm

In this case, I'm not sure I find the first part of these mashups convincing though. Whether or not temple prostitution was lawful according to Roman law, it was not lawful according to the Jewish law or to the new law written on our hearts. So I don't think Paul believed these things were lawful, I think he was quoting something people might think or say, a common aphorism from that time.
I don't see that I was saying that Paul believed that those things were lawful either. The quotation marks, if they are positioned correctly, suggest rather that Paul was responding to some one else's belief or statement, perhaps even a commonly held one in Corinth.
Perhaps it is easier to follow if it is paraphrased as we did earlier, "I can do anything I want". In the particular textual cross-reference we are looking at, "Jesus did not come to condemn the world, so there is no condemnation for anything I want do." In the other textual cross-reference, this ignores the last part of what He said to the adulterous woman, which more or less says that as a response to His forgiveness, she is to turn away from sin.

I have to leave for a bit again, but go ahead and comment if you wish.
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:53 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:57 pm

In this case, I'm not sure I find the first part of these mashups convincing though. Whether or not temple prostitution was lawful according to Roman law, it was not lawful according to the Jewish law or to the new law written on our hearts. So I don't think Paul believed these things were lawful, I think he was quoting something people might think or say, a common aphorism from that time.
I don't see that I was saying that Paul believed that those things were lawful either. The quotation marks, if they are positioned correctly, suggest rather that Paul was responding to some one else's belief or statement, perhaps even a commonly held one in Corinth.
Perhaps it is easier to follow if it is paraphrased as we did earlier, "I can do anything I want". In the particular textual cross-reference we are looking at, "Jesus did not come to condemn the world, so there is no condemnation for anything I want do." In the other textual cross-reference, this ignores the last part of what He said to the adulterous woman, which more or less says that as a response to His forgiveness, she is to turn away from sin.

I have to leave for a bit again, but go ahead and comment if you wish.
We agree completely on the meaning. It wasn't clear to me in your earlier post. My guess is a little wording could make it clearer, but that's not important in this thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

12 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.
13 Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, but God will do away with both of them. Yet the body is not for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body.
14 Now God has not only raised the Lord, but will also raise us up through His power.
15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be!
16 Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, “The two shall become one flesh.”
17 But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
18 Flee sexual immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral man sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
20 For you were bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
(LSB)

Here is another version that I have been comparing lately. This one leaves out the punctuation marks in v12. I think there seems to be a difference in thrust or perspective. Once again as in other versions Paul segues from food and the body to sexual immorality and the body.
Here, in my opinion, we may see Paul referring to his own experience but using food as an example of something that is lawful but can become "unprofitable".
Yet, he says, (in a roundabout way) sexual immorality is never profitable for the body, especially when the body has been given over to the Lord.
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown