Any Good Writings to Recommend?

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Ace Windex
Affiliation: Presbyterian

Any Good Writings to Recommend?

Post by Ace Windex »

Hello: I'm new to the board and curious about Mennonite doctrine. Not trying to be a troll, but I'm a a Cold War veteran and am wanting to counterbalance the mindset we learned while in the service. Something tells me it's time to retire that attitude and adopt something else. This seems like a good place to learn that sort of thing. Are there any resources online or any writings about Mennonite doctrine anyone could recommend along those lines? -Ace
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Any Good Writings to Recommend?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ace Windex wrote:Hello: I'm new to the board and curious about Mennonite doctrine. Not trying to be a troll, but I'm a a Cold War veteran and am wanting to counterbalance the mindset we learned while in the service. Something tells me it's time to retire that attitude and adopt something else. This seems like a good place to learn that sort of thing. Are there any resources online or any writings about Mennonite doctrine anyone could recommend along those lines? -Ace
A Change of Alliegence by Dean Taylor would be a good start. Deals with him coming to believe the Biblical view of Non-Resistence while he was in the army.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

second the Dean Taylor book. Most books by David Burcot are pretty decent to read as well.

http://www.watchmangospelsigns.com/resources.php

lots of good things to read there too

I'm a navy vet who filled out his CO papers while inactive reserve. I don't mind answering any questions you might have, most people here are friendly and good resources, that being said, there is a fair difference from the conservative minded Mennonites on here compared to the liberal minded ones. Also not everyone on here is non-resistant, but all conservative Mennonites are to my knowledge.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ace Windex

Post by Ace Windex »

Thank you for the references. I have a copy of Dean Taylor's book on order. Will likely come back here from time to time as the questions arise.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Welcome to MN, Ace - :D
there are a few former military, now CO, members here.
glad you found some good reading.
this is a good place for questions and general discussion.

looking forward to reading more from you.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

For some more doctrine, check out the Complete Works of Menno Simons. 8-)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:For some more doctrine, check out the Complete Works of Menno Simons. 8-)
... which can be found here.

Keep in mind that many (probably most) Mennonites are not all that familiar with the writings of Menno Simons.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ohio jones wrote:... which can be found here.

Keep in mind that many (probably most) Mennonites are not all that familiar with the writings of Menno Simons.
Which is a shame. I've been trekking through it for some time now and it really is wonderful.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

For basic doctrine, The Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective is a good overview. It's available online at http://mennoniteusa.org/confession-of-faith/; you can buy a hard copy there also.
0 x
Ace Windex

Post by Ace Windex »

Thanks for everyone's inputs. Applying for CO isn't an issue, having been "off the books" for so long. But there's still the desire to learn how the other half lives, broaden one's horizons or whatever you want to call it.
0 x