Book about CAM kidnapping

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Book about CAM kidnapping

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:15 am
Sliceitup wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:07 am I think there’s some middle ground to this. Their story is miraculous, even if money was paid. There were many things that could have gone wrong, even with a ransom possibly being paid.

That being said, it would be foolish to not admit how privileged these hostages were in comparison with most other hostages. I think I heard that the FBI had eyes on the hostages for days. Most hostages aren’t going to have the kind of status that will get the US government to hover above them for days on end. Most hostages don’t have the status or connections that enable them to have millions paid in ransom.

The number one thing these hostages had in their favor was their connections to wealth and status. There’s many other hostages in Haiti with a strong faith in God who don’t get those privileges. I don’t think it’s a good look to deny how important that was.
Not sure what you're getting at here. Was it a bad thing these hostages got released?

The reaction from Haitians was that they were very glad for all the publicity around the CAM hostages, because it put more light on the overall hostage situation in Haiti as well.
Slice:
.. Their story is miraculous, even if money was paid.
There were many things that could have gone wrong, even with a ransom possibly being paid.
Agreed.
Slice:
.. The number one thing these hostages had in their favor was their connections to wealth and status.
The earth has always had its wealthy, 1% may be a conservative figure in history as far as power+control go. Not denied in scriptures.

Jesus makes His very real promises, not to be confused with life on earth.
No human law or earthly government will change either reality. Governments that pretend to be God, or better than, lead to disaster.

All are served in faith. According to scriptures, the earthly wealthy have the “harder row to hoe.”
Covetnous is a grave sin. It can devour souls.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Grace wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:52 am
Josh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:57 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:50 am So... in an effort to remain in a neutral standpoint (even though that's not gonna happen here on the forum), we all still buy into the whole "they just walked away and no money was paid" story?
Money was certainly paid (but not by CAM) but had no bearing on them getting released or not. At least that's how I understand it.
Not according to Trudy. She discounts the Lord's miraculous escape stories from the 17 last hostages, as not miraculous.
Some of Trudy's comments from Facebook.
So how much of a miracle is it when millions are paid?
Multimillion dollar miracle does not equate a miracle. It equates a negotiation of funds in exchange for freedom
I certainly hope none of the hostages who went through some horrific days, not knowing whether they would be shot and killed, read her comments. They discount the power of the Lord and really diminish the hostages stories.
All I can say is, "Wow." I'm very glad I will not need to give account someday for her words.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:57 am
Money was certainly paid (but not by CAM) but had no bearing on them getting released or not. At least that's how I understand it.
Not according to Trudy. She discounts the Lord's miraculous escape stories from the 17 last hostages, as not miraculous.
So how much of a miracle is it when millions are paid?
Multimillion dollar miracle does not equate a miracle. It equates a negotiation of funds in exchange for freedom
I certainly hope none of the hostages who went through some horrific days, not knowing whether they would be shot and killed, read her comments. They discount the power of the Lord and really diminish the hostages stories.
All I can say is, "Wow." I'm very glad I will not need to give account someday for her words.
She might not be right, but she isn't wrong, either ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 am
Ernie wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:53 pm

"So how much of a miracle is it when millions are paid?
."

She might not be right, but she isn't wrong, either ;)

There is a God and Trudy is NOT Him. To say that something is not from God, when she has no idea, seems presumptuous.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Grace wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:13 amThere is a God and Trudy is NOT Him. To say that something is not from God, when she has no idea, seems presumptuous.
About 20 years ago I read a book titled "miracles". The author summed up miracles this way, based on the story of the blind man in John 9.
A person who experiences a miracle is convinced that it was of God.
Some witnesses looking on say, that it definitely was a miracle.
Others who witness the miracle say, “It was just a coincidence.”
And then there are the religious people who don’t have much faith who try to explain why God can’t do what he is obviously doing.
People who don’t want to believe in miracles won’t believe in them even if they saw one.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"