Book about CAM kidnapping

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Book about CAM kidnapping

Post by Sliceitup »

There’s a book out about the missionaries in Haiti who were kidnapped. Title is ’Kidnapped’ and the author is Katrina Hoover Lee.

It appears the book was commissioned by CAM, but I’d like confirmation of that.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Book about CAM kidnapping

Post by steve-in-kville »

This made headlines on social media over the weekend. Not sure if the term "commissioned" is the right word to use. Maybe "endorsed?"
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I'm quite sure that "commissioned" is correct.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Trudy Metzger sure stirred the pot on FB, with her comparison photos with the book photo. And as usual the hatred, vitriol, and some untruths are being purported. I am sorry the photos got so large.

0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Page 40 / “Haiti Kidnapping” viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4270&p=166505&hilit=haiti#p166505
Pelerin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:43 pm I figured The Book (or books) would be coming along sooner or later, but I didn’t expect it this soon, but anyway here it is.

This is the “official version”—written and published by CAM itself.
TGS INTERNATIONAL
https://tgsinternational.com/product/ki ... -in-haiti/
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:29 am Trudy Metzger sure stirred the pot on FB, with her comparison photos with the book photo.
And as usual the hatred, vitriol, and some untruths are being purported. I am sorry the photos got so large.
[img]https://scontent-iad3-1
[img]
i haven’t seen TM’s response, it doesn’t strike me as unfair she would have such a response.
This kidnapping/murder of a teacher in Memphis has had me thinking about Haiti and the “business” of kidnappings in parts of the world.

“Body identified as Tennessee teacher abducted while jogging; suspect charged with murder”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 999050001/
Found in Comments in one report:
Barry Suss wrote:
Eliza promoted BLM and antipolice sentiment in her classroom. Oh the irony...
:cry:
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:43 am
i haven’t seen TM’s response, it doesn’t strike me as unfair she would have such a response.
This kidnapping/murder of a teacher in Memphis has had me thinking about Haiti and the “business” of kidnappings in parts of the world.

What strikes me as odd on TM's part is her making unverifiable assumptions and claiming them to be facts, when they contradict the hostages stories. She has done so much good work on shedding light on sexual abuse, I am confused why she compromises her integrity in this way. I know she is passionate about her calling in out sexual abuse, but she needs do a better job in keeping her hatred for CAM under wraps. It harms the credibility of her important work.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:42 pm

What strikes me as odd on TM's part is her making unverifiable assumptions and claiming them to be facts, when they contradict the hostages stories. She has done so much good work on shedding light on sexual abuse, I am confused why she compromises her integrity in this way. I know she is passionate about her calling in out sexual abuse, but she needs do a better job in keeping her hatred for CAM under wraps. It harms the credibility of her important work.
Indeed it does. I can't get anyone to take this kind of thing seriously; plain people simply aren't going to listen to people who have the same dynamic as a Twitter hate mob.
1 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:42 pm

What are the things she said that were contradicted by hostage stories?
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

So... in an effort to remain in a neutral standpoint (even though that's not gonna happen here on the forum), we all still buy into the whole "they just walked away and no money was paid" story?
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!