"Nationalism and Christianity"

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Re: "Nationalism and Christianity"

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Neto,
I only tried to make sense of your story in the context of my argument (Christians should support people when they try to create their own "identitarian", including ethnic, community). Obviously I was not successful.
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:02 am In general, a society functions best when there can be rational, fact-based discussion in the public square, and when we talk with each other and work with each other and don't separate into bubbles of fear and hostility.
I agree to some extent. We should get a realistic idea about the dangers around us, not overestimating and not underestimating them. Therefore, talking with each other is necessary.
But of course, talking can also show you that the danger is greater than you have thought. The other one may emerge as more ruthless or more resentful than you have thought. Talking and working with each other does not generally reduce conflicts. If you look for examples, I recommend amren.com, where there are a lot of life stories by white people who have talked and worked with blacks and just therefore are now looking for a white community.

There's much more in separate communities than fear and hostility. One of the most frequent arguments I have found says "That is a place where I don't constantly need to explain myself". Very funny and understandable is is also the argument of a Jewish woman who recommended Israel as a "place where even the policemen are Jews".

In another context, when debating with a nationalist, I would now add that a system of different communities will not work without a covering agreement between both, or all, sides - it is not a way by which we can completely escape the need to talk with each other. (The art of creating agreements is for me the most interesting subject of study.)
But having a community of our own and talking with each other is not mutually exclusive. (I suppose that that is my way of being a "moderate" - telling that things are not mutually exclusive.)
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:56 pm Neto,
I only tried to make sense of your story in the context of my argument (Christians should support people when they try to create their own "identitarian", including ethnic, community). Obviously I was not successful.
Sorry. I was just off topic. I read that story, then got to thinking about where nationalism gets people. and so I dropped it in your thread. Just in the sense of where involvement in nationalism takes a group of Christians. It's just not any place we want to go. I am not knowledgeable enough about political science to respond to your beginning statements.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.