The Kingdom Gospel

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: The Kingdom Gospel

Post by KingdomBuilder »

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power." 1 Corinthians 4:20
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Wade wrote: Ultimately, I want for people to grow closer to God rather than growing closer than what I believe, so a good tract directing that way can be hard to know, as I can't what that person needs to have that accomplished. God does!
Are the two not synonymous? If we are wholeheartedly following God, wouldn't we want to encourage others to follow our example? I think we should not be apologetic about our understanding of God's will and way.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Wade wrote: Ultimately, I want for people to grow closer to God rather than growing closer than what I believe, so a good tract directing that way can be hard to know, as I can't what that person needs to have that accomplished. God does!
Are the two not synonymous? If we are wholeheartedly following God, wouldn't we want to encourage others to follow our example? I think we should not be apologetic about our understanding of God's will and way.
I think it happens where others can get the wrong idea from an action because of a different perspective.

For example I believe from my experience that for me shaving ones beard is a sign of pride. This doesn't mean I think everyone man without a beard is prideful. And many disagree with me about the beard and I respect and also can see how others could show pride by having beard...

Of course I feel I want people to follow my desire and intent in following Christ - but I don't have it all figured out and I also lack their perspective and understanding of how or why they may express it different at times...

However; having a heavenly citizenship, obeying God rather than man, etc. - I am not apologetic about those types of things.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Wade, here is a tract I have on hand and have used that may be appealing to those who want to share their faith in a way that doesn't come across as 'easy beliefism' - http://store.gospeltract.org/Got-Fruit- ... _p_32.html
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it."
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it."
The more I think about it, the more I realise the only way to really explain or understand the kingdom of heaven is to read what Jesus said about it. Then it starts to make sense.

That's hard to stuff into a tract.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Josh wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

The more I think about it, the more I realise the only way to really explain or understand the kingdom of heaven is to read what Jesus said about it. Then it starts to make sense.

That's hard to stuff into a tract.
Jesus rarely spoke directly to people other than His disciples. Most of the time he taught in a round-about way. When we try to communicate the Good News of Jesus and the Kingdom in a clear articulate and systematic way we are at odds with what Jesus was trying to communicate and to whom he was trying to communicate that message. Rather that "interpret" Jesus for the masses I believe we do best to use the words Jesus Himself used to communicate the good news. Some people will understand it, and choose to follow Jesus. Most won't. Jesus knew that and plainly had a reason for communicating in such an obfuscatious manner.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

So what is this saying ? Is it saying that once one becomes a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven, one will sell off all their earthly, temporal stuff ? Some might say that to have ears to hear this, they need to literally not own temporal, earthly things.

If I have ears to hear, I hear this as saying that once you experience Kingdom life you will have found what you have been seeking through temporal things and in your joy of this discovery, letting go of the importance of temporal stuff comes easy as it will have no attraction.

Is this what others read of these texts ? Do we have ears to hear ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

betterpromises2 wrote:What passages/verses would you use if you wanted to share (briefly) with someone the concept of the Kingdom Gospel (as opposed to what John D. Martin has called "the Save Me Gospel"?
I might go to Isaiah 53 and Matthew 5: vs 3 - 12.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Sudsy wrote:

So what is this saying ? Is it saying that once one becomes a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven, one will sell off all their earthly, temporal stuff ? Some might say that to have ears to hear this, they need to literally not own temporal, earthly things.

If I have ears to hear, I hear this as saying that once you experience Kingdom life you will have found what you have been seeking through temporal things and in your joy of this discovery, letting go of the importance of temporal stuff comes easy as it will have no attraction.

Is this what others read of these texts ? Do we have ears to hear ?
Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?”

And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

“Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says: ‘You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive.’ For this people’s heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.’ But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear.”
0 x