Anabaptist Viewpoint

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Anabaptist Viewpoint

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to post links and discuss articles on Anabaptist Viewpoint

Here is a previous thread about one article:
https://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3544

Two good ones from more recently...

Truth and Discernment - Part 1

Truth and Discernment - Part 2
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Anabaptist Viewpoint

Post by ohio jones »

Here's a generic link to the ViewPoint site content:

https://www.anabaptistviewpoint.org/the-articles
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

“Anabaptist Viewpoint” has done an amazing job of parroting whatever mainstream society is currently saying with zero influence from what Anabaptists as a whole are doing or thinking.

For example, AV is very pro-masking and pro-shutting church down during lockdowns. The Anabaptist community as a whole was one of the least compliant with mask wearing or cancelling church during lockdowns.

Likewise, AV is completely, wholeheartedly 100% pro vaccination, including novel vaccines like Gardisil, chickenpox, and COVID. This does not reflect the Anabaptist community as a whole either.

They also do not include perspectives from any Anabaptist doctors who don’t agree with their political positions; in effect, AV is a very poor representative of conservative Anabaptism and does us all a disservice to claim to speak for any of us.

Overall, they are a force for liberalism and drift. You would be hard pressed to find any difference from that they propose and what Mennonite Church USA proposes.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Some nunancing rather than mischaracterizing them as being on the most extreme end of the spectrum, would make it easier to consider your viewpoint.
6 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:55 pm Some nunancing rather than mischaracterizing them as being on the most extreme end of the spectrum, would make it easier to consider your viewpoint.
I read their latest articles, Truth and Discernment, yet all I discerned was Enlightenment epistimology. I did not really pick up an Anabaptist viewpoint at all. Reading a publication like this feels exactly like reading Anabaptist World; in fact, some of their articles on medicine are almost identical.

Perhaps my contrast was that I had just read the latest edition of the Vanguard, which is a publication that actually has an Anabaptist viewpoint (and in particular a historically consistent one).
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:35 am
Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:55 pm Some nunancing rather than mischaracterizing them as being on the most extreme end of the spectrum, would make it easier to consider your viewpoint.
I read their latest articles, Truth and Discernment, yet all I discerned was Enlightenment epistimology. I did not really pick up an Anabaptist viewpoint at all. Reading a publication like this feels exactly like reading Anabaptist World; in fact, some of their articles on medicine are almost identical.

Perhaps my contrast was that I had just read the latest edition of the Vanguard, which is a publication that actually has an Anabaptist viewpoint (and in particular a historically consistent one).
Ernie included this link in his OP. Interesting to read through those former posts. Similar questions.
Do you have a link to the Vanguard?

“Anabaptist Viewpoint on Covid and Anabaptist Exceptionalism”
https://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3544
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:05 am

Ernie included this link in his OP. Interesting to read through those former posts. Similar questions.

The Vanguard is only available in paper form via mail. If you like I could give you info to get a subscription and mail you some of my back issues.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:51 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:05 am

The Vanguard is only available in paper form via mail. If you like I could give you info to get a subscription and mail you some of my back issues.
i would look forward to that. thank you. :D
save your back issues for now, i’ll look into a subscription first.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

After reading that article on social media I have to agree with Josh. 1, I recognize some of the names and am personally knowledgeable about 1 of them.
2, the arguments used against are expressed as ignorant and uneducated.
3, terms are being changed to try and equate 1 action (such as email) with facebook.

The internet has profoundly changed the church and those who took and stance changed little, those who accepted it changed dramatically.

This is reflecting what I saw at Mrs Smucker’s church. A bunch of “let us be accountable and thoughtful about our internet/social media use.” She might be perfectly fine at this, but this stance, along with several other compromises, have failed their church.

When a church expels the Bishop and Deacon for holding the line on certain stances, what can you expect from the remaining leaders?

I don’t mean to bash her church specifically, but these patterns are echoing through the conservative churches. I know of three Western Fellowship churches that kicked out leaders for holding conservative values, and while I don’t know enough to comment on those cases (many years in the past) it brings a point that we are changing, and few even see it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat