Anabaptist Viewpoint

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Anabaptist Viewpoint

Post by Josh »

You’ll notice I’m still here, and I also don’t identify as a “conservative” and I think the premise of “conservative Anabaptism” is flawed.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 am You’ll notice I’m still here, and I also don’t identify as a “conservative” and I think the premise of “conservative Anabaptism” is flawed.
You did at one point. I recall you arguing the Holderman were ultra conservative rather then moderate. You then argued they couldn’t be described by those terms.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:05 am
Josh wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 am You’ll notice I’m still here, and I also don’t identify as a “conservative” and I think the premise of “conservative Anabaptism” is flawed.
You did at one point. I recall you arguing the Holderman were ultra conservative rather then moderate. You then argued they couldn’t be described by those terms.
They have some of the attributes of ultra conservatives (in particular, a high view of church and leadership authority), but fundamentally are something different. They aren’t derived from the same ideologies that gave birth to conservative Mennonites.

In terms of lifestyle, some things about them are similar to moderates - or at least, the way moderates were 10 years ago. Moderates change so rapidly that I don’t think the comparison is correct anymore.

For whatever reasons, Holdemans don’t experience as rapid of change, even with heavy technology use.

I used to be part of the conservative Mennonite movement and frankly became very disillusioned with it. I no longer see the premise of becoming worldly, but slowly, to be a worthy pursuit, which is what the conservatives around me seem to be trapped in.
0 x