Online Bible Study Helps

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Online Bible Study Helps

Post by mike »

Please share the online resources you have come to depend on for Bible study and sermon preparation.

These days I start with BibleGateway.com. I like being able to pull up commentaries and study tools parallel with the passage I'm studying. Parallel versions are nice also. I usually have a couple of Bible Gateway tabs open. The number of free commentaries are limited, but there are enough to get started researching.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Online Bible Study Helps

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:Please share the online resources you have come to depend on for Bible study and sermon preparation.

These days I start with BibleGateway.com. I like being able to pull up commentaries and study tools parallel with the passage I'm studying. Parallel versions are nice also. I usually have a couple of Bible Gateway tabs open. The number of free commentaries are limited, but there are enough to get started researching.
X2 for all the same reasons. In the last 6 years or so that I've used BG, they've improved their site and expanded it. They have an app but more often than not I just go to the website which is better IMO for parallels. Then I'll compare it to my hard print commentaries to give me a comprehensive conceptual schema.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Some of the resources on
http://www.studylight.org
****Caution contains considerable Non-Anabaptist content****
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Which commentaries and study tools do you use on each of these sites? I like the IVP commentaries on BibleGateway.com. I use several of the commentaries on http://www.studylight.org/. Each seems to contain a lot of chaff too ... which do you consider wheat?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:Which commentaries and study tools do you use on each of these sites? I like the IVP commentaries on BibleGateway.com. I use several of the commentaries on http://www.studylight.org/. Each seems to contain a lot of chaff too ... which do you consider wheat?
If you're asking me about studylight, I would say the David Guzik one is the commentary I use mostly, somewhat because of the cross-referencing to other commentaries that he does.
The only other commentary I use on there to any extent is (gasp) John Calvin's.

I use the parallel Bible feature regularly, including the Peshitta quite often for NT study, and the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia I find quite useful.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'm looking for a really good mobile app with study resources. I really like the NET Bible online's interlinear, it's particularly useful when talking to someone who likes Strong's numbers. But it's hard to use from a mobile phone.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I'm looking for a really good mobile app with study resources. I really like the NET Bible online's interlinear, it's particularly useful when talking to someone who likes Strong's numbers. But it's hard to use from a mobile phone.
Android or iPhone? On Android I like MyPhone, and it does have some useful resources. A guy named Eliran Wong is working on converting a bunch of really good resources for geeks like you now, they will be available for anything that uses the e-sword module format.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:Which commentaries and study tools do you use on each of these sites? I like the IVP commentaries on BibleGateway.com. I use several of the commentaries on http://www.studylight.org/. Each seems to contain a lot of chaff too ... which do you consider wheat?
I've been reading Asbury Bible Commentary on BibleGateway. If I'm desperate for more material, I will skim Matthew Henry; but as you probably know he is extremely verbose, and his commentary can seem more like "remotely correlated thoughts." I like IVP but they only have the NT. There's another interesting commentary which I first ran into when studying Isaiah, the Theology of Work project. It's linked on BibleGateway also.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: There's another interesting commentary which I first ran into when studying Isaiah, the Theology of Work project. It's linked on BibleGateway also.
Thanks for the heads up. I noticed it but now I'll check into more thoroughly.

One of the most beneficial aspects of using parallels is that it helps us to see that the various translations are more in agreement than disagreement on the important teachings of the Bible. For example the Biblical teachings on marriage and divorce, homosexuality, murder, etc are in agreement in the accepted translations. Truth will out.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God