Who reads Greek?

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Who reads Greek?

Post by Bootstrap »

I know that Adam, Josh, Neto, and I read Greek. I think JM does too. Does anyone else? When questions about Greek come up, we usually weigh in. If there's disagreement, we usually discuss.

By "read Greek", I mean "can read a page of simple Greek, perhaps looking up some words". If anyone wants to claim just a little more, I recommend this test.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Who reads Greek?

Post by Dan Z »

Took one seminary course in Greek 30 years ago - not much of it stuck.

I have high regard for those who have taken the time to learn the language - in particular the brethren among us here on MD who bring their Greek knowledge into play in helping the rest of us understand the nuances of biblical translation.

Thanks Greek geeks!
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote:I know that Adam, Josh, Neto, and I read Greek. I think JM does too. Does anyone else? When questions about Greek come up, we usually weigh in. If there's disagreement, we usually discuss.

By "read Greek", I mean "can read a page of simple Greek, perhaps looking up some words". If anyone wants to claim just a little more, I recommend this test.
Actually, I've gotten a bit rusty over the years, and have forgotten a lot of the less used words, so while I can read the function words, and a good amount of the more common nouns & verbs, I often need help beyond that. So I'm not up to par with what I understand to be your level of ability in Greek, Boot.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Many things I read are "Greek to me". I find myself at times reading Greek right here on this forum. :laugh
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Knightlight.

For reference, 2 Categories with descriptions from the forum home page:
Written Word
Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology

Spoken Word
Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
(i think) these categories began as places to collect reference information, links, more than "general chats?" wondering/asking. not (policing.) :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:Knightlight
Is he on MN? He was great on MD, I miss him.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:(i think) these categories began as places to collect reference information, links, more than "general chats?" wondering/asking. not (policing.) :)
If a moderator wants to move this thread somewhere else, I'm fine with that.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:(i think) these categories began as places to collect reference information, links, more than "general chats?" wondering/asking. not (policing.) :)
If a moderator wants to move this thread somewhere else, I'm fine with that.
this isn't the only thread i've wondered about, i just did not know where or how to ask about (use of categories) esp these two, which have more specific guidelines (to begin, anyway.)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Curious, where did you Greek-readers learn this skill?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Curious, where did you Greek-readers learn this skill?
I had courses at St Paul Bible College (now Crown College) as a part of my Bachelors in Missiology. I kind of let it slide when I got really deep into linguistics grad courses, then used it extensively when I actually got started with Bible translation on the field. I would have liked to study Hebrew as well, but I never got it done.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.