Chart: A Seekers' Progression towards NT faith and practice

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Chart: A Seekers' Progression towards NT faith and practice

Post by Ernie »

This is a chart I have been working on to help my overseers understand the range of people I interact with on a weekly basis and to show the journey unbelievers take towards faith and commitment to Christ. I have not yet taken someone from #1 to #7, but I have probably helped seekers move from each number to the next higher number.

In this chart, the use of the term kingdom Christian refers to those who fit David Bercot's definition of this term.

By "Augustinian", I am referring to churches who functionally lean towards or favor these positions...
-Just War
-Two Governments – Political rulers should not rule the church and church rulers should not rule the state, however Christians are free to vote for those who use coercion/force and/or hold government offices that include coercion/force.
-The church as a “school for sinners” (vs. a “society for saints”)

Would you word anything in this chart differently?

https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... actice.pdf
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Chart: A Seekers' Progression towards NT faith and practice

Post by Soloist »

Maybe this isn't your intention but the way its set up practically lends to the idea that the Conservative Mennonite way is superior to somewhere like Charity or FOTW.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote:Maybe this isn't your intention but the way its set up practically lends to the idea that the Conservative Mennonite way is superior to somewhere like Charity or FOTW.
Jah, vell? :? :mrgreen: :lol:
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Might want to ask FOTW to supply a descriptive label rather than giving them one that many of them wouldn't accept.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote:Maybe this isn't your intention but the way its set up practically lends to the idea that the Conservative Mennonite way is superior to somewhere like Charity or FOTW.
I can understand why you come to that conclusion and I'm open to hearing suggestions for how to keep people from thinking that.

The chart is an explanation of why some seekers end up in plain churches (#6 & 7) but also why only few seekers join and stay.
I would like to see many thousands of people arrive at #5 and I think #5 is much more doable than #7 and even #6. However, there are very few fellowship options for #5. Ethnic Anabaptist churches that align with #5 don't stay there very long as they are typically headed in the direction of #4.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote:Might want to ask FOTW to supply a descriptive label rather than giving them one that many of them wouldn't accept.
Most sociological writers don't ask people for their opinions but rather do the categorizations as it appears to them. :-)

Now if I were publishing advertisements from various constituencies, I would ask them, "How would you like your listing to appear?"

The older I get, the more I am realizing how different our stated goals can be from our functional ones.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote:Might want to ask FOTW to supply a descriptive label rather than giving them one that many of them wouldn't accept.
Imagine asking Holdemans that...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
I can understand why you come to that conclusion and I'm open to hearing suggestions for how to keep people from thinking that.

The chart is an explanation of why some seekers end up in plain churches (#6 & 7) but also why only few seekers join and stay.
I would like to see many thousands of people arrive at #5 and I think #5 is much more doable than #7 and even #6. However, there are very few fellowship options for #5. Ethnic Anabaptist churches that align with #5 don't stay there very long as they are typically headed in the direction of #4.
I would entirely agree with the statements in this chart, including reflecting on my own progression and observing the progression in my family's life who have moved in an Anabaptist direction.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote:
I think it is pretty accurate.
I suppose one small way to change that appearance, might be to add a #8 category after the #7.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote:I suppose one small way to change that appearance, might be to add a #8 category after the #7.
And what would #8 be?
0 x