Blogs by Plain People

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Blogs by Plain People

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote:It depends. I’d guess that you are within one degree of separation of Nationwide folks who believe in a flat earth conspiracy.
Where are they getting this? It is a literal interpretation of Old Testament scriptures that talk about things like the earth's foundations and the four corners of the earth?

Or is it coming from somewhere else?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

RZehr wrote: The thing is, once a person goes down the rabbit hole, he begins to subscribe, almost wholesale to pretty much any wacky conspiracy theory. I think it would be way more common to find one person who rejects the official accounts of JFK, Moon landing, spherical earth, 9/11, vaccine safety, and COVID-19 than it would be to find people who only rejected half of them.
I think the evidence for the CIA being behind the JFK assassination is pretty strong. Read Jim Douglass's (a non-violent Christian) book, JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters. Reading this makes me more open to considering the RFK and MLK assassinations may also be deep state operations, but I haven't studied this much.

I think that physics and engineering show that the 3 buildings that collapsed on 9/11 were controlled demolitions.

The other conspiracy theories seem nuts. I believe in evidence, not blindly believing the authorities.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wade wrote:
RZehr wrote:Here is a good blog post from Dorcas Smucker. Of course it’s good, because I agree with her. :P
Conspiracy. Vaccines. Forest Fires. COVID. But as good as the post is, the fact that she introduced me to the words “calamity howlers”, is by its self worthy passing the post on. :lol:
http://dorcassmucker.blogspot.com/2021/ ... r.html?m=1
I find myself often surprised when I read things like this. Very few if any of Mennonites I know and have known ever talk about believing or are into any conspiracy theories...?
My world is small.
Generally speaking, Mennonites believe in far fewer conspiracy theories than the average worldly person does. So for people like you and me, from the world, it seems like Mennonites are a lot less conspiracy minded.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote:
RZehr wrote: The thing is, once a person goes down the rabbit hole, he begins to subscribe, almost wholesale to pretty much any wacky conspiracy theory. I think it would be way more common to find one person who rejects the official accounts of JFK, Moon landing, spherical earth, 9/11, vaccine safety, and COVID-19 than it would be to find people who only rejected half of them.
I think the evidence for the CIA being behind the JFK assassination is pretty strong. Read Jim Douglass's (a non-violent Christian) book, JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters. Reading this makes me more open to considering the RFK and MLK assassinations may also be deep state operations, but I haven't studied this much.

I think that physics and engineering show that the 3 buildings that collapsed on 9/11 were controlled demolitions.

The other conspiracy theories seem nuts. I believe in evidence, not blindly believing the authorities.
Careful, Jim: according to what I’ve read the last few weeks, questioning any of those things makes you suspicious of being a “domestic terrorist”.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote:
Careful, Jim: according to what I’ve read the last few weeks, questioning any of those things makes you suspicious of being a “domestic terrorist”.
I wish more of us domestic terrorists were pacifists!
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:Here is a good blog post from Dorcas Smucker. Of course it’s good, because I agree with her. :P
Conspiracy. Vaccines. Forest Fires. COVID. But as good as the post is, the fact that she introduced me to the words “calamity howlers”, is by its self worthy passing the post on. :lol:
http://dorcassmucker.blogspot.com/2021/ ... r.html?m=1
RZehr, thank you for posting this. Indeed you are spot on. "Calamity Howlers" is a great moniker for monetised whining. :hi5 :up: :clap:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote:
I wish more of us domestic terrorists were pacifists!
You might get wish; “terrorist” is a label given to “person you’re supposed to hate”, usually as the excuse why a powerful country needs to go to war. Pacifists and nonresistant people stand in the way of the Empire, and the Empire’s desire to engage in murder around the globe.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:

You must be reading some crazy paranoid conspiracy stuff yourself Josh if that is what you are reading.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote:
Josh wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:

You must be reading some crazy paranoid conspiracy stuff yourself Josh if that is what you are reading.
I think it was in NBC News, associating “right wing white supremacist terrorism” with belief in 9/11 conspiracy theories specifically. Basically, anything not agreeing with the current mainstream narrative is “domestic terrorism”.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote:
I think it was in NBC News, associating “right wing white supremacist terrorism” with belief in 9/11 conspiracy theories specifically. Basically, anything not agreeing with the current mainstream narrative is “domestic terrorism”.
Indeed. In my lifetime I have seen this happen repeatedly: to rename as “terrorist“ and “terrorism” any idea, person or movement that is not sanctioned as politically correct by the ruling party or regime.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God