Blogs by Plain People

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Blogs by Plain People

Post by barnhart »

Josh wrote:
Ken wrote:
Josh wrote:
Careful, Jim: according to what I’ve read the last few weeks, questioning any of those things makes you suspicious of being a “domestic terrorist”.
You must be reading some crazy paranoid conspiracy stuff yourself Josh if that is what you are reading.
I think it was in NBC News, associating “right wing white supremacist terrorism” with belief in 9/11 conspiracy theories specifically. Basically, anything not agreeing with the current mainstream narrative is “domestic terrorism”.
It is possible that many white supremacists are 911 conspiracy theorists without a reverse correlation.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote:
Josh wrote:
Ken wrote:
You must be reading some crazy paranoid conspiracy stuff yourself Josh if that is what you are reading.
I think it was in NBC News, associating “right wing white supremacist terrorism” with belief in 9/11 conspiracy theories specifically. Basically, anything not agreeing with the current mainstream narrative is “domestic terrorism”.
It is possible that many white supremacists are 911 conspiracy theorists without a reverse correlation.
Exactly. Josh is torturing logic to make his point. Many white supremacists also claim to be Christians. We know that because it is what they say. Does that mean belief in Christianity leads to white supremacy? It does if you follow Josh's logic.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

No, but I dare say that belief in Islam leads to terrorism. Terrorism to the degree of flying jets into building on 9/11.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote:No, but I dare say that belief in Islam leads to terrorism. Terrorism to the degree of flying jets into building on 9/11.
You would get no argument from me. Although I would expand it from terrorism to violence in general. One can generate lists of current wars, or wars and conflicts from the past 20 years and it is striking how many of them involve Islam on one side or both. The recent wars that have no connection to Islam, like the guerilla wars in Colombia and Sri Lanka are almost the exception that proves the rule.

Here is a list of current wars and conflicts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _conflicts

At first glance, only the current wars in Mexico (drug war), Congo, and Ethiopia appear to have no connections to Islam one one side or the other. Although some like the conflict in Myanmar between the Buddhist government and the Rohingya minority is a case where the Islamic minority is being oppressed and persecuted.

Islam makes up about 24% of the world's population, but looks to be involved in about 95% of the world's wars and civil conflicts. That strikes me as problematic.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

:) I wasn't trying to rag on Islam, as much as I saw an opportunity to close the conversation loop back to 9/11. Not that I want to talk about 9/11 either. Just for the thread visual of conspiracy, to 9/11/ to religion, and back to religion, and 9/11 and conspiracy. :)
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote::) I wasn't trying to rag on Islam, as much as I saw an opportunity to close the conversation loop back to 9/11. Not that I want to talk about 9/11 either. Just for the thread visual of conspiracy, to 9/11/ to religion, and back to religion, and 9/11 and conspiracy. :)

Yep. The thing about conspiracy theories is that they usually reject the most obvious and simple explanations for events and construct fantastical alternative explanations. Islamic terrorism is a blindingly obvious phenomenon and force in this world. Responsible for hundreds if not thousands of terror events around the world. That Al-Qaeda had both the desire and means to bring terrorism to the US was exceedingly well known. That they trained and put hijackers on those flights is also known. That they claimed responsibility is also known. We don't NEED to construct tortured alternative explanations for everything. Sometimes (in fact usually) the simple and obvious answers are the correct ones.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Only on MN can we take an innocent thread about plain people's blogs and turn it into a thread about whether the US faked the moon landing or not.

I love this place 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote:Only on MN can we take an innocent thread about plain people's blogs and turn it into a thread about whether the US faked the moon landing or not.

I love this place 8-)
Give it time, we can split it off and discuss it in grave detail about the gravy forms of the mun.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

“Islamic terrorism” is mostly an excuse to start very bloody wars costing trillions of dollars around the globe.

Speaking of which, there are reports right now the U.S. will be increasing troop levels in Iraq after a suicide bombing there this week. Expect another war and lots of messaging about how important it is to “fight terror”.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is something I wrote recently. Due to the moratorium on political discussions, please do not discuss in this thread.

https://www.plainnews.org/2021/01/22/re ... ical-news/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"