David Brooks in The Atlantic: "America Is Having a Moral Convulsion"

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Re: David Brooks in The Atlantic: "America Is Having a Moral Convulsion"

Post by AnthonyMartin »

PetrChelcicky wrote:My personal angle is not so much "liberty" than "liberality". I must not have liberty myself at all costs, but I am inclined to grant liberty to others. Peace relies on our ability to grant liberty to each other. In this I will not change (not even for to avoid a "moral convulsion").
I would suggest the liberality you describe is one reasonable ethic with a moral foundation of love. Liberality makes for a very poor moral foundation. It seems to me to be the same as no foundation at all.
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Re: David Brooks in The Atlantic: "America Is Having a Moral Convulsion"

Post by PetrChelcicky »

AnthonyMartin wrote:
PetrChelcicky wrote:My personal angle is not so much "liberty" than "liberality". I must not have liberty myself at all costs, but I am inclined to grant liberty to others. Peace relies on our ability to grant liberty to each other. In this I will not change (not even for to avoid a "moral convulsion").
I would suggest the liberality you describe is one reasonable ethic with a moral foundation of love. Liberality makes for a very poor moral foundation. It seems to me to be the same as no foundation at all.
Well, I personally need a foundation. If others ask me for a foundation, I perhaps can give advice. If others don't look for a foundation, it is not my task to force it upon them.
I am skeptical about this conservative trope that "society needs a moral foundation". The error seems to rely on the ambiguity of the word "trust". What we really need is experience, then we can preview what the other one wants to do - perhaps we can "trust him to do the wrong thing". "Trust" in the second meaning ("he will do just what is correct in my eyes") is much more seldom and hard to find.
0 x