"Anabaptist World"

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: "Anabaptist World"

Post by RZehr »

One thing that has to be present in churches that send families to a new area, is a strong sense of loyalty and self sacrifice for the church. This present in much higher amounts in conservative churches. This is why ultra and intermediated conservative churches can do this.
It’s all about how one views the church and its place in ones life. Something like “I am the church”, vs “I go to this church” mentality.
“I allow the church to ask hard things of me for the greater good” vs more of a personal “God speaking to my heart” emphasis.

How did I get here, on this thread?
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Just one more thought about "Anabaptist World" and its policy of "Letters to the Editor":
It prevents debates between different readers. I am ambivalent about this. Such debates can be rather childish, above all when the readers are already acqainted with each other and have crossed daggers at other sites. This doesn't put the church into a good light.
On the other hand, for me as a "marginal man" it was always very interesting to see where and why Mennonites debate each other's ideas. Where there is unity and where there are differences. And I am rather unimpressed by the bitching and bickering involved, I feel rather like "Thank God, these are people like everyone else".
0 x
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Post by aussieandy »

Wade wrote:
Ken wrote:
Wade wrote:
Sounds like you haven't been to a CA church then or I attend a really good one? Because there is a lot of engagement, maybe not during the sermon in particular but during Sunday school and afterward I have been invited and encouraged to give push back if need be by the minister here. He asks questions and even singled me out to answer something recently even if it was a simple question during sermons.
And when they did have church services in our home it was obviously very open to engagement - they were all seemingly more comfortable than any others of us that aren't from a Mennonite background.
Yeah, not really my experience in any church, Menno or not. Maybe I’ve mostly just attended bad ones, or perhaps larger ones that are more formal. I haven’t been in any what you would call CA churches in many decades. Closest thing would be CMC churches which I didn’t realize until finding this forum are not actually considered “conservative.” But then as you know, I have a contrarian bent which isn’t always welcomed. So I mostly just keep my lip zipped out of respect and don’t try to make waves where they aren’t wanted. If we lived one place where we had deep roots I would probably be more invested. But we have moved around a lot in the past two decades, mostly or entirely in non-Menno areas. So I’ve always felt more like a guest.
My impression is that ultra conservatives might be the most active in church planting and in doing so their congregations don't generally get as big as some other groups.
My understanding of Nationwide's church planting works like this.

Any congregation that gets to more than 30 families will begin the process of church planting. They'll hive off 5 to 7 families (roughly) to go start a new church in a new land or area. It tends to be a deliberate strategy to grow the church and thus the Kingdom.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

My impression is the same. Holdemans pretty much do the same thing.
0 x
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Post by aussieandy »

Back on topic, I took a look at the new Anabaptist World and it looks too much like The Mennonite to me. They've one article on the Amish but the majority is geared towards liberal Mennonites it seems.

I much prefer Anabaptist Voice. http://www.anabaptistvoice.com/

Some say it is too ultra or old order Mennonite for their liking. Might be why I like it. 8-)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

aussieandy wrote:Back on topic, I took a look at the new Anabaptist World and it looks too much like The Mennonite to me. They've one article on the Amish but the majority is geared towards liberal Mennonites it seems.

Some say it is too ultra or old order Mennonite for their liking. Might be why I like it. 8-)
MWR will be missed. It was basically the only broad Anabaptism publication left. After Rachel Stella’s departure, there isn’t anyone conservative left with the operation, other than a Holdeman lady who prepares mailings.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

aussieandy wrote:Back on topic, I took a look at the new Anabaptist World and it looks too much like The Mennonite to me. They've one article on the Amish but the majority is geared towards liberal Mennonites it seems.

Unfortunately, one of the very first articles was written by a couple people I know and one I really appreciate, however I felt like the perspective given towards that particular thing wasn't very honest. I just didn't have the stomach to read anymore knowing how badly people can give a false picture on how the Gospel is being shared when A LOT of damage (probably more) has been done against the Gospel too...
0 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

I thought this thread was about a theme park called The Anabaptist World and tried to figure out some attractions.... some are obvious like the horse and buggy ride or the hidden cave. Others less so like The Trigger Happy Shooting Range ;) Sorry for hijacking this thread :oops:
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

I, too, like "Anabaptist Voice" - mostly because of its department "The Practical Side".
0 x