Has anyone read/heard of Aaron L. Griffith and his book: God's Law & Order, The Politics of Punishment in Evangelical Am

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Has anyone read/heard of Aaron L. Griffith and his book: God's Law & Order, The Politics of Punishment in Evangelical Am

Post by Jazman »

I happened upon this at the website of a wonderful bookstore in my area, Hearts & Minds Bookstore.
They briefly reviewed the book, God's Law & Order: The Politics of Punishment in Evangelical America, by Aaron L. Griffith, assistant professor of history at Sattler College in Boston. And they say, "Dr Griffith is a new friend and customer here at Hearts & Minds and we, not too surprisingly, have a bunch of overlapping friends."
Fascinating... apparently the proprietors of Hearts & Minds are appreciative of Anabaptist people or thought...? (I've been to the store once, and the lady was not conservative Anabaptist)

Besides that, has anyone heard of or read this book? It's title instantly made me think of some prominent prison ministries that have circulated in conservative menno circles over the years... Could there be some overlap with the work that Josh Good/churches in NYC are trying to do around related issues?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Re: Has anyone read/heard of Aaron L. Griffith and his book: God's Law & Order, The Politics of Punishment in Evangelica

Post by Jazman »

Full book title is God's Law & Order; The Politics of Punishment in Evangelical America
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson