1st John

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

1st John

Post by Aaron »

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—

the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us—

that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.

And we are writing these things so that our[a] joy may be complete."

1 John, ESV, Biblegateway...
0 x
Aaron

Re: 1st John

Post by Aaron »

Aaron wrote:".....we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands,.....

And we are writing these things so that our[a] joy may be complete."

1 John, ESV, Biblegateway...
"Acts 4:20 Context

But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.

And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.

For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was shewed.

And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them. "
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

(recurring occurrence of what is seen and heard, or was seen and heard ) and of course dwell on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy ... let the mind be set upon Christ, on good things, not bad...

Study Bible
Think on These Things
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think on these things.

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me, put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Now I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.…
Berean Study Bible · Download
biblehub . com/philippians/4-9.htm
Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps this thread should be renamed 1st Aaron.
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:Perhaps this thread should be renamed 1st Aaron.
I think that if done could border on heresy ......

Instead, stick with Scripture and trust the heavenly Father to reveal the truth.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Aaron wrote:

Instead, stick with Scripture and trust the heavenly Father to reveal the truth.
What you're doing is cutting and pasting from online Internet searches. That's not the same as "sticking with scripture".
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:
Aaron wrote:

What you're doing is cutting and pasting from online Internet searches. That's not the same as "sticking with scripture".
Since and if you do not understand, just ask, instead of assuming you know.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Aaron wrote:Since and if you do not understand, just ask, instead of assuming you know.
Aaron, I'm guessing you wanted to quote 1 John, Acts 4:20, and Philippians 4:7. Unfortunately, your posts don't really weave these together, and the format you have of cutting and pasting directly from Google searches is difficult to follow.

This forum has built-in features for quoting from Bible verses. I would suggest you take the time to learn how to use them. We have a number of very helpful mods here, or you could just post a public question asking how to use the Bible quoting feature.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Funny, 1 John is where I wanted to read this morning.

O e reason, John is very gentle, that Disciple Jesus loved. So i was drawn to read due to his tone. And he calls us children. And he stood out in ways I just need to hear at times.

Haven't read through the other passages but just was surprised to see this since I had felt led to read there early morning
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Valerie wrote:Funny, 1 John is where I wanted to read this morning.

O e reason, John is very gentle, that Disciple Jesus loved. So i was drawn to read due to his tone. And he calls us children. And he stood out in ways I just need to hear at times.

Haven't read through the other passages but just was surprised to see this since I had felt led to read there early morning
Yes, as Jesus says also - ye must become like little children (to ever see the Kingdom of Heaven), and more... (is written)...

The Apostles never contradicted Jesus , not in Scripture that is -
remember Peter once spoke wrongly, and Jesus turning His back on Peter (the Apostle Peter), said get thee behind Me Satan,
and later wasn't it Peter who denied Jesus also ?
Yet God allowed Peter to repent, possibly many times (something like 7 x 70? (referring to Jesus' answer about how many times to forgive someone else ) )

I think , again, 1st John was written to the 'new' sheep, the 'baby' believers, As God Inspired each Word ...

continuing with 1st John, ESV , from Biblegateway dot com (over twenty other translations word for word are there also) ...

" This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.

But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.

Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, ... "

I believe John Wesley found this truth, or the truth was revealed to Wesley, by the Father from heaven.... he wrote this:

"Chapter 13 – Brief Thoughts on Christian Perfection

SOME thoughts occurred to my mind this morning concerning Christian perfection, and the manner and time of receiving it, which I believe may be useful to set down.

1. By perfection I mean the humble, gentle, patient love of God and our neighbour, ruling our tempers, words, and actions. I do not include an impossibility of falling from it, either in part or in whole. Therefore, I retract several expressions in our hymns, which partly express, partly imply, such an impossibility. And I do not contend for the term sinless, though I do not object against it.

2. As to the manner. I believe this perfection is always wrought in the soul by a simple act of faith; consequently in an instant. But I believe in a gradual work both preceding and following that instant."
0 x