Anabaptist Use of Patristic Literature and Creeds

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Some of you may be interested in this article.

If anyone wants to discuss parts of it here, I'd be interested.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Anabaptist Use of Patristic Literature and Creeds

Post by Josh »

Interesting topic... gonna have lots of time for reading the next few weeks.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

A quick aside; I know I’ve seen the author’s name, Andy Alexis-Baker, before. I cannot place where I’ve seen it though.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Bootstrap wrote:Some of you may be interested in this article.

As noted in a quote/exceprt below, they , or some of them, or others , might have done that, yes,
but they did not have to, and it might have come from, led to, or resulted in continued errors they needed to be set free from, I think. I never heard of them using patristic literature nor creeds , per se, and I do not see a need to do so....

but according to this , they (or someone says someone) did.

begin quote:
"Academic journal article Mennonite Quarterly Review
By Alexis-Baker, Andy
Read preview
Article excerpt

Abstract: This essay examines how early Anabaptists used patristic literature and creeds to defend their practices of baptism, the Lord's Supper, and community of goods, as well as their doctrinal stances on Christology and the Trinity. They used patristic literature to claim that they stood in a stream of faithfulness that reformers and Catholics had largely abandoned. They appealed to many different patristic authors and obscure canons of councils, sometimes reading primary sources. Yet they did not separate their ethics and theology by developing a separate history of nonviolence. Instead they embedded their views on violence and nonviolence within their apologetic stances on worship and doctrine. Theology and ethics were inseparable for the Anabaptists. "
end quote.

I don't know of nay, any benefit here-in.... (unless it helps someone else learn to be free ? ) "Follow Jesus"
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Practically the only works I make use of are "Letter to Diognetus" and the "Apophthegmata patrum". But would they be seen as "Patristical literature"?
What's with the Didache or the Pastor of Hermas? Haven't read them but it's there I would look for a start.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

PetrChelcicky wrote:Practically the only works I make use of are "Letter to Diognetus" and the "Apophthegmata patrum". But would they be seen as "Patristical literature"?
Yes. The Letter to Diognetus is part of the Apostolic Fathers, the earliest set of patristic writings.

The Sayings of the Fathers (Apophthegmata Patrum) is 5th century or so, from monastic writings, and is considered post-Nicene patristic.
PetrChelcicky wrote:What's with the Didache or the Pastor of Hermas? Haven't read them but it's there I would look for a start.
The Didache is as easy to read and short as 1 John.

Shepherd of Hermas is longer and stranger.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I get an Amish Devotional called "Tagliches Manna" which is produced every two months with new daily devotionals.

Inside the front cover is the belief statement.

I side the back cover (every new copy that comes out) is "The Apostles Creed".

Not sure why they chose that creed over Nicene.
Even sti it's wording is a little different than the Apostles Creed
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Not going to download. It is conditioned on that site getting all my contacts from Google. Since I use Gmail, that is a lot of people. So the PDF is not free.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:Even sti it's wording is a little different than the Apostles Creed
The English translation of Roosen's Christliches Gemütsgespräch, which the Amish may be familiar with, contains the Apostles' Creed but not the Nicene Creed. It leaves out "He descended to the dead" and changes "the holy catholic Church" to "a General Christian Church" along with other more minor variations, depending on which English translation it's being compared to. Is this the one they're using?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Fidelio wrote:

Not going to download. It is conditioned on that site getting all my contacts from Google. Since I use Gmail, that is a lot of people. So the PDF is not free.
The subject is of interest to me, but I had also looked at the link, saw that condition, and looked (unsuccessfully) for another download site. (I will not do it under those conditions, either.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.