Habakkuk

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Habakkuk

Post by Bootstrap »

I thought this was an excellent summary of Habakkuk in less than 7 minutes:

[video][/video]

I also like this bottom line:
When will your justice be done?
Throughout the book, we see that Babylon is an example of any nation that exalts itself above God and practices injustice, violence and idolatry. In the end, God reminds Habakkuk and every generation that God will deal with evil. We can continue to love and trust His timing and plan as we remain faithful to Him.
Is this book meaningful to you? How do you relate to it as a New Testament Christian in the modern world?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Habakkuk

Post by Neto »

Habakkuk is one of my favorite books, and the one I go to when people ask me about "Why God allows evil to exist in the world". It shows how God uses the intents and actions of evil people to purify his own people, and it also shows God's great patience, never punishing people for what they INTEND to do, not until they have actually carried it out. All of his judgments are just.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
slaveofone
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by slaveofone »

Hey, this is neat... I just started getting into Habaqquq (or should I say translating it). I remember liking it a lot when I first read it because it made me think it's ok to vent my frustrations to GOD. He cares. He's open. He wants to establish trust and he wants to talk to us and let us know what he is doing.

I'm also looking forward to the many months ahead as I translate... The text presents many unique problems for us language and linguistic nerds... And I love ancient Semitic poetry. Can't wait to represent it all poetically. There is BEAUTY in the Bible - EVERYWHERE. I hope I can reflect some of that.
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Bootstrap wrote:... ... ...
I also like this bottom line:
When will your justice be done?
Throughout the book, we see that Babylon is an example of any nation that exalts itself above God and practices injustice, violence and idolatry. In the end, God reminds Habakkuk and every generation that God will deal with evil. We can continue to love and trust His timing and plan as we remain faithful to Him.
Is this book meaningful to you? How do you relate to it as a New Testament Christian in the modern world?
Who trusts Him ? Who is faithful and true? Who is blameless and holy today ?

"1 The prophecy that Habakkuk the prophet received.
Habakkuk’s Complaint

How long, Lord, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
but you do not save?
Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds.
Therefore the law is paralyzed,
and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous,
so that justice is perverted."

What prayer is in the Apocalypse, asking the Creator to come now, or to come quickly, to execute His Justice, upon all those from the beginning who have shed innocent blood ?
He Answers, I think, something like - be patient, wait , AFTER the last martyr is killed, I will execute My Vengeance Quickly....
0 x