HCSB ???

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

HCSB ???

Post by MaxPC »

Have a friend interested in the Holman Christian Standard Bible translation ...

What do you think of it?

Accuracy?

Pros?

Cons?

Does it maintain doctrines like the head covering?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: HCSB ???

Post by Wade »

If you want a bible that has more notes than bible to taint your understanding of scripture in the wrong direction then I recommend it.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

MaxPC wrote:Have a friend interested in the Holman Christian Standard Bible translation ...
Does it maintain doctrines like the head covering?
I find it helpful in comparing with other versions. Not too different. 1 Corinthians 11 is similar:
HCSB wrote:4 Every man who prays or prophesies with something on his head dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since that is one and the same as having her head shaved. 6 So if a woman’s head(3) is not covered, her hair should be cut off. But if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, she should be covered.
3 11:6 Lit a woman
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i don’t have a hard copy Holman.
but, i believe at one time Wayne in Maine shared he used it, since, i pay extra attention to it when i read www.Biblehub.com - it’s one of the translations found there. if i recall, Wayne liked its approachable language style for new believers.

i agree with appleman, the important thing is to begin. then, keep seeking.

i remember speaking apologetically to (my fav pastor) about my ignorance and stumbling in faith.
he was so awesome. always finding good words. he said, “Jesus doesn’t care about which door you go through to find Him. He wants you to find Him!” :D

i believe this is so. if we can get “there,” He will guide the rest.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wade refers to the notes in the Bible - I don't know anything about the notes, and for most translations, there are different sets of study notes in different editions. So I am commenting only on the translation. I am also commenting on the CSB, which has replaced the HCSB and is better in some significant ways.

I think it is a really good blend of literal and readable. It is as readable as the NIV and almost as readable as the NLT, but more literal.

Andi Wu, who works for the Global Bible Initiative, has done research where he measures how literal a translation is and how readable it is. A translation is literal if it represents both the words and the grammatical relationships of the original text. A translation is readable if it resembles normal English prose that most people consider readable (using the Brown Corpus). Here's how various translations came out:

You can read more about how he did that in this somewhat technical paper, which is based on a paper he delivered at a Bible translation conference:

A Quantitative Evaluation of the Christian Standard Bible

Here is an in-depth review that also talks about some flaws in the CSB:

A Review of the Christian Standard Bible
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Does it maintain doctrines like the head covering?
Compare for yourself.

1 Corinthians 11 (CSB, HCSB, ESV, KJV, NLT)
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote:
Compare for yourself.

What stands out here is not the HSCB, but how the ESV translates gyne alternately as “wife” and “woman.” No justification for translating the same word two different ways in the same passage, except it tends to show some sort of bias was in operation here.

Of course with Wayne Grudem on the editorial committee, whatever did you expect.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Compare for yourself.

What stands out here is not the HSCB, but how the ESV translates gyne alternately as “wife” and “woman.” No justification for translating the same word two different ways in the same passage, except it tends to show some sort of bias was in operation here.

Of course with Wayne Grudem on the editorial committee, whatever did you expect.

J.M.
CSB and HCSB seem to be solid translations.

I’m not Reformed and thus am not interested in the Elect Standard Version.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Compare for yourself.

J.M.
CSB and HCSB seem to be solid translations.

I’m not Reformed and thus am not interested in the Elect Standard Version.
Yeah, when I can pick up a translation anomaly, it is really bad.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:I’m not Reformed and thus am not interested in the Elect Standard Version.
Obviously you were predestined to find other versions irresistible.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited