Bibles without chapters or verses

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Bibles without chapters or verses

Post by Josh »

If sarcasm is a grave sin, I'm going to need a lot of grace.
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

You wouldn't be the only one. ;)
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

My observation has been that sarcasm is often a cover up for feelings of inferiority. I had a friend who (I think) hurt a lot of people by his sarcasm. He was a master at it. He also had tremendous struggles with inferiority, to the point that it sometimes almost incapacitated him. As the years went by, it seemed like he was able to overcome some of his inner struggles and he doesn't have nearly the "edge" to his speech anymore.

I think if we start to think of sarcasm of a way to knock others down so that we can feel superior, it will help us to avoid it. Most of us don't really want to hurt people, but we lash out to avoid being hurt ourselves.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Revisiting the OP: :D
Adam wrote:I recently received a copy of the ESV Reader's Bible, Six-Volume Set. If you are a fan of the ESV, I can't recommend this more highly.

Having all chapter numbers, verse numbers, notes, references, and most section headings removed from the text draws you deep into the text and makes it come alive in a new way.

Instead of reading a chapter at a time and then getting distracted by all the notes, you just read the text almost like a novel.

And because it is printed in six volumes, the paper is very thick and has no ghosting.
The section headings that do remain are major level headings (such as 'Sermon on the Mount'), and it helps you to see the major divisions in a book while also letting you see the connections between the smaller units that we often miss because of the minor section heading breaks.

A similar set is put out by Bibliotheca using the ASV revised to remove archaic language.
I imagine this same sort of formatting will be coming out for other translations in the not too distant future because of the great reception these two sets have received.

As many of you probably know, chapter numbers were added to the Bible in 1227 and verse numbers in 1551 (NT) and 1555 (OT). So when you read without verses at least, you are reading the same way the early Anabaptists read.

P.S.
Hopefully Bibles without chapters and verses won't end up as a line item on the Christian Fads post!
I hope they are here to stay, although I don't ever see them replacing chapter and verse Bibles.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN