The Curse of Low Self-Confidence

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
CorneliaH
Affiliation:

The Curse of Low Self-Confidence

Post by CorneliaH »

Because introductions are sometimes helpful, I am a former conservative Anabaptist with a deep interest in sociology and the study of how culture affects behavior. I have recently started writing again for my blog, and I thought this particular article may be of interest to some of you.

I was rather astonished at the shocking similarities in mainstream American culture to that of conservative Anabaptist culture, as most of my life, I believed they were completely different. This article explores one of those similarities, a rather dark, heavy topic. I welcome any feedback or input.

Thanks.

https://myvoiceinpen.com/2019/09/10/the ... onfidence/
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: The Curse of Low Self-Confidence

Post by Wade »

Culture does effect behaviour but I believe your article more points out the similarity in the "flesh" we share. As the scripture says. "For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."

Some find freedom in Christ and others find "self-confidence" in breaking free from a culture to bind themselves in another one...
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

.. 1 Col 3:12-17

Brothers and sisters:
Put on, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved,
heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience,
bearing with one another and forgiving one another,
if one has a grievance against another;
as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do.
And over all these put on love,
that is, the bond of perfection.
And let the peace of Christ control your hearts,
the peace into which you were also called in one Body.
And be thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly,
as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another,
singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs
with gratitude in your hearts to God.
And whatever you do, in word or in deed,
do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him.

CorneliaH:
.. ”The outward is stripped away and all that remains is your soul.
The voices that formerly crowded everything else out, disappear.

Once you anchor yourself in that freedom, and listen to He, who knew the power of a heart that’s free and untainted from the rest of the world,

He, who created you because you were good enough,
you break the curse.
.. amen

CorneliaH - Welcome to MennoNet - :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I read this article.

I would beg the questions, what is the opposite of low self confidence? Pride? Aggressive? Assertive?

What is proper for a Christian?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

steve-in-kville wrote:I read this article.

I would beg the questions, what is the opposite of low self confidence? Pride? Aggressive? Assertive?

Excellent question. I think that one needs confidence to function in the world, but that confidence can be "Yes I can do it, with the help of God." If one has low self confidence, they the will be more susceptible to peer pressure (in an attempt to feel accepted which boosts their confidence in the wrong way if those peers are worldlings), but if one is self confident, they don't need the approval of their peers. So I believe that a Christian needs self confidence, but it must be rooted God and that God has gifted him with abilities; therefore, pride has no place. Confidence also needs to also recognize that one is limited and does often need the help of others (this will also help quell prideful feelings). The confidence a Christian needs most is confidence in God and His promises. That kind of confidence is commonly known as faith.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Fidelio wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:I read this article.

Excellent question. I think that one needs confidence to function in the world, but that confidence can be "Yes I can do it, with the help of God." If one has low self confidence, they the will be more susceptible to peer pressure (in an attempt to feel accepted which boosts their confidence in the wrong way if those peers are worldlings), but if one is self confident, they don't need the approval of their peers. So I believe that a Christian needs self confidence, but it must be rooted God and that God has gifted him with abilities; therefore, pride has no place. Confidence also needs to also recognize that one is limited and does often need the help of others (this will also help quell prideful feelings). The confidence a Christian needs most is confidence in God and His promises. That kind of confidence is commonly known as faith.
Well said!
:up: :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Fidelio wrote:That kind of confidence is commonly known as faith.
I'm gonna step out on a ledge here, but in my observations, alleged "Christians" who are overly critical, gossips, miserable and narcistic almost always have low self-esteem. They hate the world and all that moves and want to make sure everyone else is miserable to compensate for it.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Welcome Cornelia. You may find this humorous but would it surprise you if I told you that you write somewhat like your father?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Welcome Cornelia.

I too have been interested in sociology since my upper teens. Went through quite some perplexing years as a young adult.
I chose to stay with the conservative Anabaptists.

There are two books I would love to write at some point...
1. A Field Guide to Understanding the Plain People (an overview for general society who aren't interested in all the details)
2. Encyclopedia of the Plain People (this would delve into the history of all the groups and identify the various nuances of the plain people including things that are not normally verbalized.) Hopefully plain people would be able to read this and say, "Yes, this describes the way we think." And I would hope that some would read this and conclude that it is quite silly to view their church or their small world as the center of the universe.

And this might also be of interest... I happen to be your dad's supervisor. :)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Blogs / Other / lesterb
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ilit=blogs

Cornelia,
You might be interested in this former thread, some blogs have been removed, and lesterb has not been an active MN poster for awhile, but this thread is still a good resource for several blogs.

You are welcome to add your blog there, a link to this thread, etc. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN