Using Scripture's terms and phrases

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Using Scripture's terms and phrases

Post by Aaron »

excerpts from biblegateway dot com

CJB
“A talmid is not greater than his rabbi, a slave is not greater than his master.
( Matthew 10:29-38 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

Aren’t sparrows sold for next to nothing, two for an assarion? Yet not one of them will

fall to the ground without your
Father’s consent.

As for you, every hair on your head has been counted.
So do not be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows.

“Whoever acknowledges me in the presence of others I will also acknowledge in the presence of my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others I will disown before my Father in heaven.

“Don’t suppose that I have come to bring peace to the Land. It is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword! For I have come to set
a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law,
so that a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.[a]

37 Whoever loves his father or mother more than he loves me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than he loves me is not worthy of me. 38 And anyone who does not take up his execution-stake and follow me is not worthy of me.
Footnotes: Matthew 10:36 Micah 7:6)

CEV
Disciples are not better than their teacher, and slaves are not better than their master.

PHILLIPS
“But when they persecute you in one town make your escape to the next. Believe me, you will not have covered the towns of Israel before the Son of Man arrives. The disciple is not superior to his teacher any more than the servant is superior to his master, for what is good enough for the teacher is good enough for the disciple as well, and the servant will not fare better than his master. If men call the master of the household the ‘Prince of Evil’, what sort of names will they give to his Servants? But never let them frighten you, for there is nothing covered up which is not going to be exposed nor anything private which will not be made public. The things I tell you in the dark you must say in the daylight, and the things you hear in your private ear you must proclaim from the house-tops.

NRSVCE
“A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master;

NTE
‘The disciple isn’t greater than the teacher; the slave isn’t greater than the master.

OJB
A talmid is not above his Rebbe nor an eved (servant) above his Baal Bayit (master).
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Aaron wrote:excerpts from biblegateway dot com

CJB
“A talmid is not greater than his rabbi, a slave is not greater than his master.
( Matthew 10:29-38 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

Aren’t sparrows sold for next to nothing, two for an assarion? Yet not one of them will

fall to the ground without your
Father’s consent.
Why use a translation into Hebrew instead of the original Greek or an English translation? Is there a reason you think translating Greek into Hebrew will be more accurate?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Of the over 50 translations of the one verse shown on this page: here:
classic . biblegateway.com/verse/en/Matthew%2010:24

Two of them appear to be closer to the original than all the others.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Aaron wrote:Of the over 50 translations of the one verse shown on this page: here:
classic . biblegateway.com/verse/en/Matthew%2010:24

Two of them appear to be closer to the original than all the others.
Which ones? How are you measuring this? How well do you know Greek?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:Why use a translation into Hebrew instead of the original Greek or an English translation? Is there a reason you think translating Greek into Hebrew will be more accurate?
The Septuagint is quite popular these days among disciples of Bercot and related circles. Maybe this is the NT flip side of that coin.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Why use a translation into Hebrew instead of the original Greek or an English translation? Is there a reason you think translating Greek into Hebrew will be more accurate?
The Septuagint is quite popular these days among disciples of Bercot and related circles. Maybe this is the NT flip side of that coin.
Wait until they find out about translating it into German first.
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Which two are different from ALL of the others ?

Years ago, from faithful to Jesus Homeschoolers/ homeschooling groups on-line, and maybe some off-line,
I saw the difference between Hebrew Life/ ways of living/ ways of thinking, clearly described, as in Scripture,
vs Greek life/ ways of living/ ways of thinking, (also clearly described Scripturally) .... and Hebrew is best, hands down = it was never even a competition - it was/ and is/ simply obvious (and almost never seen).....
It was difficult to find in the last couple years, but I will , God Willing, look again the next couple days to see if that information is available at all anymore.

As for as "Greek" .... I only know what God Has Revealed to anyone Himself in Scripture, and/or in my lifetime (same as others - we only "know" what God has revealed) .... always in perfect harmony with all Scripture, all of God's Plan , and all of God's Purpose in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:
ohio jones wrote:Wait until they find out about translating it into German first.
< SMILE > .... and so much more ..... (to be revealed as God Permits and has Planned )
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

This Chart gives a good explanation between the Greek and Hebrew structures:

Greek (Western) Approach ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hebrew Approach
Life analyzed in precise categories. ,,,,,,,,,,,,Everything blurs into everything else.
A split between natural & supernaturalm,,, ,,,,Supernatural affects everything.
Linear logic ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Contextual or "block" logic
"Rugged Individualism" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Importance of being part of group
Equality of persons ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Value comes from place in hierarchies
Freedom orientation ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Security orientation
Competition is good ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Competition is evil (cooperation better)
Man-centered universe ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,God/tribe/family-centered universe
Worth of person based on money/...
................material possessions/power,,,, Worth derived from family relationships
Biological life sacred ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Social life(in Christ/not society) supremely important
Chance + cause & effect limit
........................what can happen ,,,,,,,,,,God causes everything in his universe
Man rules nature through ......
...understanding and applying laws of science,,,, God rules everything, so relationship with God determines how things turn out
Power over others achieved through ...
...business, politics and human organizations ,,,,,,Power over others is structured by (Christ) social patterns ordained by God.
All that exists is the material ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The universe is filled with powerful spirit beings

Linear time divided into neat segments. .....
..................................,Each event is new ,,,,,,,,,Cyclical or spiraling time. Similar events constantly reoccur.
Oriented to the near future ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oriented to lessons of history
History is recording facts objectively and ....
.....................................chronologically. ,,,,,,,,,,History is an attempt to preserve significant truths in meaningful
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or memorable ways whether or not details are objective facts.
Change is good = progress ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(IMPORTANT) Change is bad = destruction of traditions
Universe evolved by chance ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Universe created by God
Universe dominated and controlled by .....
..............................science and technology ,,,,,,,God gave man stewardship over his earthly creation. Accountability to God.
Material goods = measure of personal achievement ,,,,Material goods = measure of God’s blessing (no, but left it in)
Blind faith ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Knowledge-based faith
Time as points on straight line ("at this point in time…" ,,,,,, Time determined by content ("In the day that the Lord did…")
What Do I …,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,“How Do I…

Summary:

The distinction comes from the difference between doing and knowing.

The Hebrew is concerned with practice, the Greek with knowledge.
Right conduct is the ultimate concern of the Hebrew, Right thinking that of theGreek.
Duty and strictness of conscience are the paramount things in life for the Hebrew;

This is maybe not the best and simplest, but is pretty much a good showing of many differences ..........
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

The New Testament was written in Greek. We do not have an early Hebrew version of the New Testament.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, mostly, with a few related languages sprinkled in. There is also an early Greek translation of the Old Testament.

So to me, "close to the original" means "close to the original Greek" for a New Testament text. Inserting Hebrew words into a Greek text seems like an odd way to make it more like the original Greek. Inserting Hebrew words into an English translation seems like an odd way to make it an English translation.
0 x