Using Scripture's terms and phrases

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Using Scripture's terms and phrases

Post by Aaron »

As we find out, when we learn ...... some of us ..... (no statistics to reference) ....

as we learn Hebrew Word Studies, Ways of Life and Ways of Thinking, in Line With the First Century and more,

we discover how clear and meaningful Scripture is, How Beautifully Truthful Scripture IS, How RICH in MEANING from

the Creator His Word IS. And as God Permits, how much Greek philosophy, etc, has detracted from , instead of enhancing or benefiting, life.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Aaron wrote:As we find out, when we learn ...... some of us ..... (no statistics to reference) ....

as we learn Hebrew Word Studies, Ways of Life and Ways of Thinking, in Line With the First Century and more,

we discover how clear and meaningful Scripture is, How Beautifully Truthful Scripture IS, How RICH in MEANING from

the Creator His Word IS. And as God Permits, how much Greek philosophy, etc, has detracted from , instead of enhancing or benefiting, life.
על מה את מדברת
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:
Aaron wrote:As we find out, when we learn ...... some of us ..... (no statistics to reference) ....

על מה את מדברת
=============================
"With knowledge of Biblical Hebrew they would be able to read the Koine Judeo-Greek text of the New Testament much more accurately. So, I suggest, that one does not need to imagine a Hebrew textual base of the New Testament to explain the presence of the Hebraisms in the text."
"Other books, such as The Jewish New Testament, by David Stern are also helpful in showing the Hebrew thought that gets lost in the Greek/English."

Also see other post comparing Hebrew to Greek ......
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Are you suggesting we need to rescue the New Testament from the Greek language it was written in? Or that the Judaizers were the good guys in the New Testament?

I think it's probably more helpful to use the Septuagint (an early Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures) to understand how Hebrew concepts map into Greek concepts in Hellenistic Judaism. And if you love language and understanding how people think in languages, by all means, learn both Greek and Hebrew. I know Greek reasonably well, still just a beginner at Hebrew, but it's fascinating how that language works.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Aaron wrote:"With knowledge of Biblical Hebrew they would be able to read the Koine Judeo-Greek text of the New Testament much more accurately. So, I suggest, that one does not need to imagine a Hebrew textual base of the New Testament to explain the presence of the Hebraisms in the text.
Where there are clear Hebraicisms, I agree. But the translations you pointed to insert Jewish words in places where I don't think there are clear Hebraicisms. And on the whole, I think it would be much MORE helpful to really understand the Old Testament in some depth, because it is important background for understanding the New Testament.
Aaron wrote:"Other books, such as The Jewish New Testament, by David Stern are also helpful in showing the Hebrew thought that gets lost in the Greek/English."
Haven't read it.

But back to the purpose of this thread - I strongly prefer to use the language the Bible uses. For the Greek New Testament, that's Greek. In an English translation of the Greek New Testament, I don't think adding Hebrew words is generally helpful. I prefer traditional translations, especially when it's not really, really clear that the original Greek word and the Hebrew word are equivalent in that context. Even then, an English translation should generally be in English ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Unless you can read Hebrew natively (and Aramaic), there's not much point in having poorly-transliterated words in an English Bible.
0 x
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

Josh wrote:Unless you can read Hebrew natively (and Aramaic), there's not much point in having poorly-transliterated words in an English Bible.
זו דעתך.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Moses wrote:
Josh wrote:Unless you can read Hebrew natively (and Aramaic), there's not much point in having poorly-transliterated words in an English Bible.
זו דעתך.
He has those.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I’m guessing both Aaron and Moses could/can read Hebrew natively.
0 x
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

RZehr wrote:I’m guessing both Aaron and Moses could/can read Hebrew natively.
פעם היה משה יכול, אבל אני לא יודע שהוא עדיין יכול.
0 x