Pilgrims and Politics, by Michael Martin

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Pilgrims and Politics, by Michael Martin

Post by lesterb »

Heirbyadoption wrote:LesterB~
Michael is a very meticulous writer
. In general, I'm inclined to agree. I was disappointed in his generalization and misrepresentation of the German Pietists, however, which seems somewhat commonly accepted among most Mennos I meet... That might be another thread, though. ;)
The Brethren consider themselves to be theological descendants of German Pietism, don't they?

Very few conservative Mennonites know what medieval Pietism was about. The term has been twisted to mean something today that it didn't mean back then. And I'm not convinced the people sometimes labelled as "pietistic" by conservative Mennonites today really believe what we think they do.

I'd enjoy a thread on your take of Pietism from a Brethren perspective. What does the term really mean to you, and how is it practiced?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote:
. In general, I'm inclined to agree. I was disappointed in his generalization and misrepresentation of the German Pietists, however, which seems somewhat commonly accepted among most Mennos I meet... That might be another thread, though. ;)
The Brethren consider themselves to be theological descendants of German Pietism, don't they?

Very few conservative Mennonites know what medieval Pietism was about. The term has been twisted to mean something today that it didn't mean back then. And I'm not convinced the people sometimes labelled as "pietistic" by conservative Mennonites today really believe what we think they do.

I'd enjoy a thread on your take of Pietism from a Brethren perspective. What does the term really mean to you, and how is it practiced?
X2, Heir. I'd enjoy reading your understandings!
:D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I have learned to just tune out what each sect says about particular hot button topics when talking about another sect.
0 x