Pilgrims and Politics, by Michael Martin

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Pilgrims and Politics, by Michael Martin

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Picked this up at Clay Bookstore last weekend. Anybody already read it? And have any reviews or warnings or thoughts to share?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Pilgrims and Politics, by Michael Martin

Post by MaxPC »

You've given me another book I want to read, Heir. Thank you! :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Picked this up at Clay Bookstore last weekend. Anybody already read it? And have any reviews or warnings or thoughts to share?
I know nothing about it. Can you tell me more?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

An excellent read. It's been awhile since I've read it, but as I remember Mr. Martin makes a very compelling case that involvement in political activity is incompatible with biblical Christianity. I believe you would enjoy it, Bootstrap.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I've read it but its been a while. I don't remember anything from it anymore; I suppose it might be because I already believed what was being said.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I've never read it, though I've seen it. I did read Michael's earlier book, Cup and Cross. That was an Anabaptist history. Michael is a very meticulous writer -- I edited his earlier book some years ago. He usually does a good job of any project that he takes on.

I noticed that he had this one published by a different publisher than his first book. I'm not sure what that all means.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Who's the publisher?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:Who's the publisher?
It's self published under the name Arundel Press, which appears to be Michael S. Martin's trade name. Typesetting and printing is by Silverline Publishing in Lititz, PA.

One of the things I appreciate about this book is the tone of respect for government that is maintained. The author shows clearly that this nation does not have, and never has had, a "Christian" government, but calls on believers to honor and respect government while maintaining a proper view of governments, nations, cultures, politics, and war.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I read the book a few years ago and thought it was solid and well-written, but didn't contain much material that would be new to those who already believe in the separation of Christians and politics.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

LesterB~
Michael is a very meticulous writer
. In general, I'm inclined to agree. I was disappointed in his generalization and misrepresentation of the German Pietists, however, which seems somewhat commonly accepted among most Mennos I meet... That might be another thread, though. ;)
0 x