Sunday School

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology

Does your church use CLP material?

Total votes: 0

Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Sunday School

Post by Reflecting »

By the description, I guess this is where my questions belong. ;)

I’m teaching this Sunday and while studying I became curious (among other things) how many, if any, MNers use Christian Light Publications for their SS material. So, I’ve created a poll. :clap: Mostly out of curiosity for how many people here are looking at the same passages every Sunday. Ei how much discussion is reasonable/likely.

I’m okay with this thread dissolving into thoughts on the weekly lessons as well. As a matter of fact, I’ll encourage it! :)
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
Reflecting

Re: Sunday School

Post by Reflecting »

Newly crystallized views on balanced take from Matt 6.

V 19. Lay up for end of life as you would lay up in the summer for the winter. Don’t be slothful, but don’t fret and don’t lay up for luxury.
Fair? Balanced? Biblical?

V 25. “Is not the life more than meat and the body than raiment?”
“Use your head for more than a hat rack!”
“Your body isn’t a mannequin.” (I’ll be teaching the youth girls class)
0 x
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

I’ll confess, the poll is surprising me. CLP is thus far used by far more MNers than I had realized! In my experience churches a bit more conservative than mine would study through books of the Bible rather than use another resource and the less conservative churches wouldn’t use CLP.

I’m so curious as to who have been voting here. I’d love to hear more from you!
0 x
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

If you don’t use CLP, what do you do? Do you have SS? If so, what resource or plan of study do you use?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We don't use CLP for Sunday School, but we do all use the same Sunday school booklets. I like this since it means all of us conference-wide can discuss the same topics, even if one is away from home.
0 x
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Post by karpos »

Josh wrote:We don't use CLP for Sunday School, but we do all use the same Sunday school booklets. I like this since it means all of us conference-wide can discuss the same topics, even if one is away from home.

I taught SS for 6 months and wrote my own material, which some people found to be very annoying as I prepared 6-7 page handouts for the first few sundays. People thought it was too much material.

I personally think SS breaks the church up and prevents the older generation from influencing the younger generation. Most couples get together with someone in their SS age group. I think SS prevents some people from getting together since they usually only affiliate with their SS group.
0 x
shadrach
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by shadrach »

We use R&S quarterlies. I don't like it especially, but I don't have experience with anything else. I haven't been to a church yet that didn't use it (except for one that didn't have SS) so I thought someone would have mentioned it. :)

I think splitting up into classes has a lot of potential for meaningful Bible study. Unfortunately not all teachers and students make full use of that potential, and it just becomes a lecture, a little bit less formal that a devotional, and with responses from one or 2 students. And the way R&S parses the stories of the Bible, and tries to pull one principle from each scope of verses, makes it a very pathetic way to learn the bible.
0 x
I like to write sometimes, but not to study.
I like to talk, but not to listen.
I like to make people laugh, but I am not funny.
I like to plan, but not to do.

I am probably the youngest member, so any rebuke is not out of place, but welcome.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

karpos wrote:
Josh wrote:We don't use CLP for Sunday School, but we do all use the same Sunday school booklets. I like this since it means all of us conference-wide can discuss the same topics, even if one is away from home.

I taught SS for 6 months and wrote my own material, which some people found to be very annoying as I prepared 6-7 page handouts for the first few sundays. People thought it was too much material.

I personally think SS breaks the church up and prevents the older generation from influencing the younger generation. Most couples get together with someone in their SS age group. I think SS prevents some people from getting together since they usually only affiliate with their SS group.
In our church, the Sunday school group tends to change every Sunday. It does mean the youth and intermediates are in their own classes, but to be frank, the intermediates would have a lot of difficulty participating in the adult-level discussion.
0 x
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

A theme running through the last number of lessons, perhaps the entire book actually, has been that it’s not WHAT you do, but WHY you do it. Ei not okay to do the right things for the wrong reason. We’ve been studying about how Christ’s new law supercedes the OT law. I’ve been impressed with the thought of how much negative fallout/harm/damage is avoided when battles are fought in the heart rather than picking up the pieces after we blow it with our words/actions! Christ’s law so far superior to OT law!
...but we don’t manage to fulfill His law 100% and must accept His forgiveness and grace when we fail. We must also extend His forgiveness to our fellow man for the same reason.
But when we (all) get to Heaven what a day of rejoicing that will be!

~ just more of my miscellaneous mental meanderings. ;)
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

We don't have Sunday School. Unfortunately, I have very few good experiences in Conservative Mennonite Sunday schools. The ones I have seen, typically few members aside from the ordained take part and it would generally be the same few. With so little participation, I generally do make a few comments to help keep things going. We do have CLP materials in our homes along with Rod and Staff and Pathway.
0 x