Building Yourself Up in Your Most Holy Faith

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Building Yourself Up in Your Most Holy Faith

Post by Valerie »

Do any of you ever feel 'oppressed' or go through a season of discouragement where you just seem 'stuck'?

Jude 20-25 King James Version (KJV)
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

If so, or if you have helped another- what are some of the ways that one can "Build themselves up in their most holy faith?"

How would you help a brother or sister in the Lord persevere through these times? How have YOU persevered through these times?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Building Yourself Up in Your Most Holy Faith

Post by Sudsy »

Giving God praise through hymns and spiritual songs. Put on some Christian praise music that you relate to. Sometimes it is a 'sacrifice of praise' as at the beginning I might have to force myself against how I feel. But as I begin to sing and listen to the words, I get back on track and get my mind back on God and His goodness and forget about myself.

[bible]Philippians 4,4[/bible]
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Philippians is a great book to put into practise when discouraged. In my life I allow discouragement to occur because of listening to too much negative crap going on in this world. CNN is one of those sources that can be very discouraging in it's 'breaking news' which most often is about something gone wrong.

And what are we told to do - Philippians 4:8 - "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

And my guess is that there are more discouraging things talked about in Christians forums than there are encouraging things. I'm as guilty as anyone.

Bottom line for me is to face up to the fact that discouragement is a choice I am making when I have all kinds of direction in the bible on how not to think discouragingly. It is a transformed way of looking at things. A renewing of our minds to think differently than the world.

Paul sounded discouraged when talking about his 'thorn in the flesh'. But then he snapped out of it by believing God that God's grace was sufficient enough for him to deal with this situation. He believed God that it is in our weaknesses Christ is made strong in us as we trust in Him. He goes so far as saying - “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me” (2 Corinthians 12:9). May not sound humble to boast but there is a 'boasting in the Lord' that is appropriate.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:Giving God praise through hymns and spiritual songs. Put on some Christian praise music that you relate to. Sometimes it is a 'sacrifice of praise' as at the beginning I might have to force myself against how I feel. But as I begin to sing and listen to the words, I get back on track and get my mind back on God and His goodness and forget about myself.

[bible]Philippians 4,4[/bible]
Thank you, I agree with this too- and has helped me in the same way-
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:Philippians is a great book to put into practise when discouraged. In my life I allow discouragement to occur because of listening to too much negative crap going on in this world. CNN is one of those sources that can be very discouraging in it's 'breaking news' which most often is about something gone wrong.

And what are we told to do - Philippians 4:8 - "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

And my guess is that there are more discouraging things talked about in Christians forums than there are encouraging things. I'm as guilty as anyone.

Bottom line for me is to face up to the fact that discouragement is a choice I am making when I have all kinds of direction in the bible on how not to think discouragingly. It is a transformed way of looking at things. A renewing of our minds to think differently than the world.

Paul sounded discouraged when talking about his 'thorn in the flesh'. But then he snapped out of it by believing God that God's grace was sufficient enough for him to deal with this situation. He believed God that it is in our weaknesses Christ is made strong in us as we trust in Him. He goes so far as saying - “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me” (2 Corinthians 12:9). May not sound humble to boast but there is a 'boasting in the Lord' that is appropriate.
Great counsel Sudsy- thank you.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote:Philippians is a great book to put into practise when discouraged. In my life I allow discouragement to occur because of listening to too much negative crap going on in this world. CNN is one of those sources that can be very discouraging in it's 'breaking news' which most often is about something gone wrong.

Amen and amen. :up:
Good topic, Valerie.
A short answer to your query, Valerie is that every disciple struggles with discouragement. The secret to dealing with it is, as I interpret Sudsy's response, is to recognize anything we do is for God, not our own success or fulfillment. If we trust that God perfects our inadequate efforts then joy returns. If the discouragement is ongoing such as depression, medical interventions are an option. Sometimes it's just a need for more vitamin D too. Taking walks outside in sunshine even in winter helps my wife.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:

Amen and amen. :up:
Good topic, Valerie.
A short answer to your query, Valerie is that every disciple struggles with discouragement. The secret to dealing with it is, as I interpret Sudsy's response, is to recognize anything we do is for God, not our own success or fulfillment. If we trust that God perfects our inadequate efforts then joy returns. If the discouragement is ongoing such as depression, medical interventions are an option. Sometimes it's just a need for more vitamin D too. Taking walks outside in sunshine even in winter helps my wife.
Good & Godly wisdom there Max, thanks! It is true though we forget when 'we' are the one struggling that all disciples do struggle from time to time- the accuser of the brethren takes advantage and starts throwing his/their darts-

We are learning more about nutrition and you brought up exercise & vitamin D- I have been amazed about how are foods affect our moods- even many of the major disorders today can be traced to nutrition or lack thereof- not always the case- but something to consider. There is a spiritual realm, and there is a physical realm- God created us to experience both
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Now this is why I come to converse on this forum. Talks about Kingdom life and not about kingdom life. Others have their own reason(s).

I, too, am affected physically by the sunshine. I find on darker, overcast days, my body seems to lack energy and it can adversely affect how I think. I get the 'blahs'. So, I try to get a walk in and exercise each day in sports like curling (where the indoor lighting is very bright) and golf, which some days is only a 4 hour walk as far as the game is concerned, but a good walk out observing God's creation. I also get out in other nature walks and my wife and I are into conservation projects in the bird world.

And yes, diet is another big area. I lost 40 pounds last year just through a determined effort to reach one goal after another. I had to force myself to stop but it was a good project to prove to myself how strong my will can be over my feelings. And it sure helps with the energy left and less strain in the aging joints.

Taking care of myself physically does help me to focus more on spiritual things. Scripture says bodily exercise 'profits little' but it doesn't say 'profits nothing' and God's little and my little are likely quite different. Little is much when God is in it so we do these things as unto the Lord and our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Restraint at some of these church suppers is a good test for our wills over our feelings, especially when so much 'bad stuff' physically is put on the tables.

Isn't it interesting how some can guard against much feeling in worship and yet when it comes to food the guarding seems to disappear. I love pastry. To have just one of anything is quite a challenge. But that saying 'just say no' I have to think about and sometimes well intention Christians will say 'awe just have one more, they're soooo good' and I have to be firm with my 'no thankyou'. Just saying our will can control our feelings in most areas of life when those feelings can lead us to sin.

I was going to go on with the heart being the seat of our mind, will and emotions but I think I might make this into a separate thread.

I love this kind of thread. Thankyou both for your participation to this point. It is Kingdom life discussions like these that bring me back here as I fight the discouragement that comes at times when the focus is on other kingdom stuff. This, too, I need to look at as an opportunity to grow spiritually as in this weakness I can become stronger spiritually. I, often have to say 'no' to participation (and sometimes I give in) as my mind still needs renewing from the influences in being in this world.

Hope others will join in. That is a core of Anabaptism belief - how to live out our Christianity.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote:Now this is why I come to converse on this forum. Talks about Kingdom life and not about kingdom life. Others have their own reason(s).
Same here. There's a great deal of Godly wisdom to be found here on the Kingdom life instead of the political kingdom (which serves only itself).
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Now this is why I come to converse on this forum. Talks about Kingdom life and not about kingdom life. Others have their own reason(s).
Same here. There's a great deal of Godly wisdom to be found here on the Kingdom life instead of the political kingdom (which serves only itself).
:up:
Amen-

We were just reading the Psalms outloud this morning- the "Allelujah" Psalms and I was finding while reading outloud how much praise is in them, thanks and praise!
Praising Him and thanking Him are also ways to build ourself up in your most Holy Faith-

We are so priveledged in our country to be able to own many copies/translations of the Holy Scriptures- pray that every country is able and help make that happen. Someday we may not be that fortunate here.
0 x