The Atlantic Article: The Case for Reparations, by Ta-Nehisi Coats

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: The Atlantic Article: The Case for Reparations, by Ta-Nehisi Coats

Post by joshuabgood »

RZehr wrote:Joshbgood, is it okay for a white person in Beijing to be color blind?
- Does it depend on his nativity or how many generations his family has lived there?
- Is his economic status relevant?
- Does it matter if we are talking about year 1400, 1900, 1950, 2000, 2050?
I'm not an expert on Chinese social policy/reality. Why not keep the conversation where we actually live with the reality that we are familiar with? That said, I was told once that in fact racism is alive and well in China by an expert I knew.
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Robert wrote:
joshuabgood wrote: Why does the last post make you feel deplorable?
Because it states I am a racist pig.
Wow. Would you mind connecting the dots for someone slow? I certainly would never intentionally call you that. And want to learn what I did...
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Robert...

Say you had a church, in an inner city, that was 90% people of color. But the ministry team was all white and commuted into the community. In your view is that ideal? If not why not? (Same logic for teachers, policeman, firemen, political leaders, business leaders, etc)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

joshuabgood wrote:
RZehr wrote:Joshbgood, is it okay for a white person in Beijing to be color blind?
- Does it depend on his nativity or how many generations his family has lived there?
- Is his economic status relevant?
- Does it matter if we are talking about year 1400, 1900, 1950, 2000, 2050?
I'm not an expert on Chinese social policy/reality. Why not keep the conversation where we actually live with the reality that we are familiar with? That said, I was told once that in fact racism is alive and well in China by an expert I knew.
I was wondering if what you’ve been saying on the matter of white racism is meant to be objective or not, domestic or foreign. I guess you mean it to not be objective and in the domestic context.
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Today my older motorcycle broke down on a country road. I walked to the nearest stop sign and when a car stopped with his blinker the right direction I walked up to the car. They rolled down the window and I explained I was bumming a ride as my cycle broke down a ways back. The first people, an old couple, I asked gave me a ride. The chances of that happening had I been black and wearing hoodie are significantly less, I'd warrant. I ran this scenario by my friend and he agreed he wouldn't have given me a ride if that were the case.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote:Today my older motorcycle broke down on a country road. I walked to the nearest stop sign and when a car stopped with his blinker the right direction I walked up to the car. They rolled down the window and I explained I was bumming a ride as my cycle broke down a ways back. The first people, an old couple, I asked gave me a ride. The chances of that happening had I been black and wearing hoodie are significantly less, I'd warrant. I ran this scenario by my friend and he agreed he wouldn't have given me a ride if that were the case.
Were you wearing a hoodie?
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

GaryK wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:Today my older motorcycle broke down on a country road. I walked to the nearest stop sign and when a car stopped with his blinker the right direction I walked up to the car. They rolled down the window and I explained I was bumming a ride as my cycle broke down a ways back. The first people, an old couple, I asked gave me a ride. The chances of that happening had I been black and wearing hoodie are significantly less, I'd warrant. I ran this scenario by my friend and he agreed he wouldn't have given me a ride if that were the case.
No I wasn't. Twas about 90 today. And sunny.
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote:
GaryK wrote:
Just wondering why you put the hoodie on the black guy.
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote:
GaryK wrote:
joshuabgood wrote: What it does is acknowledges that different cultures are in fact different. There is no such thing as "color blindness." That only exists in white minds from a position of power. We are empowered not to see color. Not so with other folks. All that aside, surely it is common sense that it would be good for children of color to see plenty of policemen and teachers and politicians that look like them. That doesn't seem controversial.
Honest question: How is this integration?

On one hand you seem to be pushing for integration where there is in essence "color blindness" and on the other hand you seem to be pushing for segregation where there is no "color blindness". I thought the whole point in recognizing and accepting white fragility and systemic racism is to get to full integration.
Yes. We need integration that is thoughtfully balanced. Let me give you an example of what isn't ideal. When I was a principal in southern Brooklyn we had a school with 98% students of color along with about 80-90% white teachers when I got there. It is common sense that this isn't healthy or ideal. (And of those 80-90% of white teachers, same an none, me aside, lived in a similar environment as did the students.)

I made the intentional move to hire teachers of color and leaders of color.
Well, I just got back a few minutes ago from our monthly church community picnic where I saw beautiful conversations and interactions taking place between blacks and whites and everyone having a great time, only to be reminded once again that as a redeemed child of God I can't, because of my skin color, see everyone equally.

I'll let this evening's experience and many others like it inform my understanding of how to do human relationships and who I am in Christ over all these secular theories being pushed as the only way to solve racial issues.

And yes, I've become defensive again. Say what you want about White Fragility - I'm going to keep going the way of Christ!

And with that I'm bowing out of these discussions.
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

GaryK wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:
GaryK wrote: Were you wearing a hoodie?
Just wondering why you put the hoodie on the black guy.
Because it's a common stereotype.
0 x