The Message - New Age influence

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: The Message - New Age influence

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:54 pmBut with that said, I don't spend too much time criticising The Message. It's an appropriate topic for an intellectual discussion of quality of translations and commentaries.
Might it be possible that this is a direct result of the fact that those around you whom you care about don't tend to use it...?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:51 pm
Josh wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:54 pmBut with that said, I don't spend too much time criticising The Message. It's an appropriate topic for an intellectual discussion of quality of translations and commentaries.
Might it be possible that this is a direct result of the fact that those around you whom you care about don't tend to use it...?
That is impossible, since I'm regularly around people who do care to use it, or use it by accident.
0 x
kendrag
Affiliation: Independent Mennonit

Post by kendrag »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:56 pm
kendrag wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:48 pm To the OP, maybe this will shed some light on concerns some have.
Lighthouse Trails Research: https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=16449
None of the concerns or objections in this piece have to do with New Age influence.
I apologize. They have two booklets on the Message Bible and I posted the other one. Here is the one on New Age influence. Thank you!
https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=29709
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Interesting to read similar reactions to another publication:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3820

There are so many.

I agree with those who find that any study of scriptures/the Word, written or not, can lead to further study, and the pursuit of Truth.
This is the path that has been going on since Jesus lived on earth. Pursuit of Truth. It can begin in wobbly ways. :) Then continue throughout life.
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:21 am
Ken wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 am
ragpicker wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:17 am Lol… Unless you protest the inclusion of all the extra stuff most Bibles have, you’re so blinded by your leftist ideology you’re allowing it to make you look silly.
It rather depends on the context doesn't it?

If you are just talking about indexes and commentary that's one thing. If you are trying to combine and elevate secular political documents and put them on the same level as scripture as part of a Christian nationalist agenda that's another thing.

What is the actual connection between the Bible and the Constitution? Very little actually. The Constitution is based much more on Greek and Roman principles of governance than anything found in any part of the Bible.

Would you be offended if say the Chinese produced a Chinese version of the Bible that contained the Chinese constitution and the writings of Mao and set them as equivalent to scripture?
I would not be offended at all.
I think it would be wrong for them to do that, but it wouldn't at all offend me,
:arrow: and I would be thankful that the Word is being printed and distributed.

Having said that, i am offended at certain interpretations i read about that are deliberately carnal and blasphemous.
However, i have not had trouble AVOIDING/REJECTING all these “‘creative’ contributions.”

And i pray for the Holy Spirit to lead out of darkness to Light.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN