The Names of Jehovah God

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: The Names of Jehovah God

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:My opinion of a focus on the divine name is that it is a distraction from actually following Jesus and doing what he says.
An opinion, indeed. If you're afraid it could be a distraction to you, don't do it. Simple. Is it really a one-or-the-other kind of thing for everyone else, though? Obviously not.

I could say that singing in church is a distraction from doing what Jesus says.. And that takes much more time and effort than does saying a 3 syllable name. Both claims are unwarranted.
Modern names don't have much meaning to us and most are transliterations, and don't have any meaning beyond being a unique utterance.
Us? You choose not to use the divine name, while others do. So there really isn't a clear "us" here. Names may not have much meaning to you (or others) while they ca be huge sources of inspiration and meaning for others. Far too many black-and-white statements here.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

This thread has been turned from a simple, benevolent intent to a repeat of a same-ole, same-ole tail chasing session.
If you don't care about using God's name, in the personal, formal regard, there's no need to go on exposition to prove your point/ discourage others on every thread written by those who do.
I contributed, and I apologize. No ill feelings towards you personally, Josh, but I've not appreciated the direction of this conversation. I realize its a two-way street, so sorry for my part.

I'll kindly ask that we refrain from any more debate on God's name.

Comments of inspiration and openness are, of course, still appreciated and anticipated.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

This whole thread has me confused.....
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:This whole thread has me confused.....
In what way?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

I guess for simple people like you and I it's probably good enough to address Him as "Our Father who art in Heaven..."
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

silentreader wrote:
I guess for simple people like you and I it's probably good enough to address Him as "Our Father who art in Heaven..."
Exactly.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

silentreader wrote:
Exactly.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

SilentReader wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I guess for simple people like you and I it's probably good enough to address Him as "Our Father who art in Heaven..."
Exactly.
It's no demeaning or small thing to refer to our Father as such! I think it is a beautiful way to address and meditate on the character of our Maker.
Simply put, Divine Name teachings aren't really taught. So it's not uncommon to have some confusion and unfamiliarity. Good news is, your salvation doesn't hinge on it ;)
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

When you are on a name basis with someone, you know them much more intimately and with our Heavenly Father, knowing His name and the attributes attached to His name, gives me a deeper understanding and appreciation of who He is. It is good to know who our creator is and what His name is, so that we can't be deceived into thinking that all "gods" are the same god.
We do not serve the same Divine personage as other religions do.
I do not serve allah, or Buddha or any other of a multitude of gods, I serve Jehovah God and there is no other like Him or His son Jesus.
Try looking in your bibles and see how many references there are to the "name" of God.

Here are just a few and there are many, many more.
Psa_23:3  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psa_31:3  For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
Psa_86:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
Psa_91:14  Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
Psa_103:1 A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Isa_42:8  I am Jehovah that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
Isa_52:6  Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.
Joh_10:25  Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
Act_4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Think about it.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner,

Do you believe that baptism must be by full immersion in Jesus’ name?
0 x